IGNORED

E133 scores.

kwakpriest

If every review written gave the honest opinion of the person writing it, I have no doubt that it would eventually be much easier to decide who to trust when it comes to reviews. You would know regardless of the score given, that the guy was previously on your wavelength and was likely to be again.

Yeah, but then of course, you'd be screwed if you didn't know who was writing it (Edge ;) ), and you'd only be able to go on the recommendations of the same person each time - and even then it'd still be guesswork.

Mr X has two games to review for Generic VideoGame Weekly:

Game A is a technical marvel. It's graphically fantastic, pushing the envelope in every way. It sounds marvellous, and has been polished until it shines like bright new penny. Everything is in place, but it's just not clicking. There is just something missing. It's not.....fun.

If he can't tell me what was specifically 'wrong' with it, then I'd rather he didn't tell me at all.

Otherwise, score it high.

Game B is, quite frankly, a mess in places. The textures lurch from lovely to downright poor and the framerate, while mostly steady, does occasionally grind to a halt. It feels a little rushed. But boy is it....fun...to play. Mr X just can't stop playing, although he can't for the life of him put his finger on why.

Again, he needs to be able to tell me why, otherwise he should think about getting another job.

Furthermore, framerate and texture problems are only really a concern if they affect the gameplay in any way. Though perhaps enough to knock off a point or two for presentation, if the core functionality of the game is unnaffected, it's high marks all round, baby!

You all seem to be hung up on the idea that "fun" needs to become a physical thing like the score. It's not about giving a "fun" score, it's about relating to the reader why it was fun.

Yes, there need to be the 'whys' and the 'hows' and the 'whats'. If a reviewer can get across the good and bad points and why they do or don't work in the context of the game, then that's great!

Game B is, quite frankly, a mess in places. The textures lurch from lovely to downright poor and the framerate, while mostly steady, does occasionally grind to a halt. It feels a little rushed. But boy is it....fun...to play. Mr X just can't stop playing, although he can't for the life of him put his finger on why.

That sounds exactly like KOTOR.

Apart from the bit about being fun and not being able to stop playing.

I tell you what, say what you like about Edge, but after reading the Fatal frame 2 review this month I realised that nobody reviews games anywhere near their standard. the amount of times Edge has mentioned a facet of gameplay or a question about game structure that i'd never even thought about before are too numerous to count.

amen to that - it gives exactly the mature coverage of the games industry i require. and they still find the space for boobies.

The solution to the subjective fun conundrum: bylines.

Plenty of places churn out reviews that are better written and more useful (read: in-depth, researched, consistent) than Edge. But Edge doesn't have a covermount or screenshot galleries, so damn, you no excuse not to read the text.

The general jist of the Donkey Kong review is that the single player game is too easy but it is tremendous fun in fourplayer and the clapping is its most endearing element.

Aha! Thankyou. Yeah, I'd agree that in single-player mode it's somewhat lacking in long-term appeal, but gather a bunch of players and you'll have a grand old time. Fair enough, thanks for the rundown.

anyone else notice how Arc the lad lost 2 points in its transition from America to the UK?

The new team should perhaps check their back issues a bit more carefully...

But if you aggregate the scores, you get, like, 5/10. But if you try to quantify the fun, you'd have to penalise it by two points. But then if you try to evaluate the fun you'd have if you happen to be playing it while having a back massage, then you'd probably have to add a point. As to what you'd do if you had four sets of drums in your lounge while playing it, I really don't know. You'd have to ask someone else's opinion I'm afraid. I really don't feel qualified to comment on that.

anyone else notice how Arc the lad lost 2 points in its transition from America to the UK?

But if you aggregate the scores, you get, like, 5/10. But if you try to quantify the fun, you'd have to penalise it by two points. But then if you try to evaluate the fun you'd have if you happen to be playing it while having a back massage, then you'd probably have to add a point. As to what you'd do if you had four sets of drums in your lounge while playing it, I really don't know. You'd have to ask someone else's opinion I'm afraid. I really don't feel qualified to comment on that.

Ooh, the wit, the scathing sarcasm, the rapier like Oscar Wilde-ness of the retort.

;)

Just read the 1080 review... it's spot on. It IS the best snowboarding game this gen and those reviews that have chastised it for not being SSX 3 have totally missed the point.

The review also makes a big thing about gate challenge and time attack being the best modes, not match race... which again, is spot on.

ace review.

Just read the 1080 review... it's spot on. It IS the best snowboarding game this gen and those reviews that have chastised it for not being SSX 3 have totally missed the point.

The review also makes a big thing about gate challenge and time attack being the best modes, not match race... which again, is spot on.

ace review.

I sort of agree with there being no mention of multiplayer in the review too. Although multoplayer is available on 6 of the courses, the best way of playing 1080 in multiplayer is to each try and out do each other on seperate time trial runs of the same course. Can do the same with the gate challenges if you prefer. Needless to say racing against (your best) ghost is absolutely tremendous too.

Ooh, the wit, the scathing sarcasm, the rapier like Oscar Wilde-ness of the retort.

;)

Cheers. Of course, if you simply add the two scores together (6/10+4/10), you get 10/10!

Thought it was a good issue. Nice to see AVP being viewed in a positive light. I seem to remember Edge being pretty harsh when reviewing it upon release. It really was pretty special back then, and still looks pretty cool even now.

Haven't read the PSX feture yet, or many of the reviews but there's a lot there this month of interest.

The Street Fighter II feature was okay too. Definitely one to take to the office scanner come Monday morning.:rolleyes:

RedEye was back to making sense this month. Taking the point of view that people actually want to buy decent games, and only pirate the generic (or shit) ones is an interesting view. I totally agree. I have on occasion downloaded mediocre movies to watch on my PC, but always make a point of buying or renting the good ones.

I also noticed that Ste Curran is still credited, thought he'd buggered off in the exodus.

I enjoyed this issue, although I'm getting a bit tired of all the half-page reviews, I wish 1 page was the minimum, cut back on the previews a bit if needed. I see they've also started doing small 1 page features recently, too. I prefer my Edge spread thick like marmite. Quality over quantity.

I loved Biffo's column this month. Someone should tell him the GBC version of Scrabble is superior though. The GBA version has no save function. :rolleyes:

I thought the small caption they used to describe the 10 sec penalty in GT4 Prologue was rather cheap. It's an interesting inclusion, that should've been expanded upon further.

Reviews do seem short on space these days, but then they are covering more games (few of which actually appeal to me though)...

Hmm, Edge are now endorsing ringtone adverts in the magazine, 'The best ringtones, logos and java games'.

Radical!

I saw that. Reckon that's one of the reasons why the editorial team jumped ship?

Nope. Although I would imagine that some of them (ie. me) sniggered when they saw it. I doubt if it'll happen again.