Rugby World Cup | NZ vs Aus - 4PM Sat

Starbreaker

So what happens if Wales lose to Fiji?

The group opens up. If Fiji beat Wales, they'll then be in contention for one of the two places, as they should beat Uruguay in the final match. There are many possible permutations of results when the group's only half done. Next weekend will start to decide a lot.

Fiji have come out flying for the second half. I wonder if Wales will do that thing where they get suckered into playing an open running match that doesn't suit them. I have vague memories of that happening a few times in world cups.

Terrible tactics by Wales. I understood the tempo and focus on looking for try scoring opportunities but they didn't do any of the basics to pull Fiji in. They spread it wide, got turned over and their own stretched back line was exposed.

I really hope we don't pay the price for not securing the bonus point.

This tournament is fucking brilliant.

Wales didn't look great against Fiji, but I think that mostly just shows the difficulty of coping with quick turnarounds between matches in the modern (probably mostly PED-enhanced) game. Wales seem to have a real mental edge about them for the past few seasons and that England result has really sharpened it. I think that is the key thing that England seem to lack right now. They have talent all over the pitch (and even accounting for Burgess's positional inadequacies, I still think he brings other advantages that arguably make up for those), but they lack the mental edge that English teams have had in the past. (I think Ireland had that sort of mental edge when they got the Grand Slam; I am not so convinced they have it right now, but I guess we will see as the tournament goes on.)

The number of amazing matches is incredible, and the number of amazing performances from tier 2 teams is astonishing.

I am a little surprised at all the ex-England pros ragging on Lancaster/Burgess/Robshaw. They must know what it is like when the media does that having been there themselves. I do think, though, that the modern game is so close that games are won or lost on small margins and, of course Woodward was the master of working on those; I would be more confident in Gatland and Schmidt in that respect than I would be in Lancaster. I am still a little astonished that they didn't seem to have covered the possibility of a last minute close-call penalty decision in training - reminds me of the time England's soccer team admitted not having practiced penalties.

Can't wait for this weekend's games.

Agreed with all that!

Getting ahead of myself, I wonder what Wales v Australia's gonna be like. Wales will have had longer to prepare but Australia still get a week so that is more or less moot. I'm going to the game and I predict it will be very tense indeed.

Right I'm off the the England game at HQ later. Randomly I just found out that my new minion at work is also going. All in all I think it's 50/50, so bloody nervous. Weird thing is, if we win we've basically won the group, as I doubt Wales will be able to beat Australia so it will be one win each against each other, but we got that vital bonus point against Fiji when the others didn't. So lose and we're out, win and we've got the easiest path to the final of anyone. I'm confident but think my arse might go, Michalak style..

It's going to be the most tense England game i'll have watched since the final against South Africa. In one way it's good that it is a win or go out situation for England as it takes away any ambiguity from what needs to be achieved. From Wales perspective they obviously want England to lose but failing that an England win > 7 points means (I think!) that if Wales lost to Australia by less then 7 points they would still go through. An England win would certainly make the Wales/Australia game a lot better as well!

I have to agree with Tourist and i'm not sure why some commentators have been so critical of Burgess, his defensive positioning does leave something to desire at times but he had a perfectly decent game against Wales. The balance was just all off though, what is the point of having a 12 who can get over the gainline and offload and a 13 who won't be making the runs to get there. I hope to god Barrett has a better game than against Fiji though, defense solid as always but penalities and shit passing pretty much ruined his performance for me.

There is definitely an issue mentally with this England team, one that will probably not be fixed until they do get over that first big hurdle (they've not managed it in the last few 6N) and tonight could well be the tipping point. I worry about what happens if Engand fall behind, even slightly, as the only real creativity off the bench will be Ford and it's a lot of pressure to expect him to be able to turn things around should the worst start to happen.

Late convert to rugby as much as my dad tried to get me in to the sport over the years, finally saw the light too late to enjoy a game and pint with him but wore green in his memory at the Aviva in Dublin earlier this year. Even so this is the most excited I've been about a game since my, ahem, conversion. Got the same feeling I used to get before England's football World Cup games, or before major Liverpool games (when we still had those!)

This feels up there with Ashes, Ryder Cup levels of excitement, anxiety and trepidation. Been some good write-ups about how Australia are working on their scrum after getting worked over in our last few matches. How they'd love to dump England out of the tournament at HQ, but how England's current squad would love to ram the recent criticisms down the ex-pro's throats. Couldn't really ask for more plot points prior to the game.

Enjoy all, think it's going to be a long evening, but just the kind we all watch sport for in the first place.

It's going to be the most tense England game i'll have watched since the final against South Africa. In one way it's good that it is a win or go out situation for England as it takes away any ambiguity from what needs to be achieved. From Wales perspective they obviously want England to lose but failing that an England win > 7 points means (I think!) that if Wales lost to Australia by less then 7 points they would still go through. An England win would certainly make the Wales/Australia game a lot better as well!

Ah well it's all down to bonus points. If England beat Australia, it's likely that they will get a bonus point as we won't win by much. They will then have 10 points, so that if Wales lose to them by less than 7 they would have 14 to Australia's 14, so Australia go through (with us top as we will get 5 from Uruguay) as they won their head to head match. Therefore I don't want Australia to lose to us by much :)

Right, I'm off out to watch some rugby.

That pass was never forward! Well harsh.

Japan looking strong again though. I'm slightly surprised because even though they have been a decent side for a while now (beating wales etc) they didn't have a great warm up. Still, very happy to see them doing well. I wonder whether my daughter will ewct to play for Japan or Ireland when she grows up to be an international rugby player...

It annoys me that England, Wales, and Australia have all ended up in the same group. The only reason it happened is because they made the draw for the groups three bloody years ago! Why on Earth was the draw done so early? We've ended up with a group that contains four of the top nine teams in the world. One of those three will go out, and it'll be a massive shame to lose any of them.