Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

If anyone is interested, I'm finally starting this, 8pm tonight, totally blind other than knowing it's a soulslike by Ninja gaiden guys with mmo / Western rpg tiered  weapons.  I'll be streaming! 

Didn’t get a chance to tune in but will get it watched at some point today.

Lots and lots to understand or sure.

The RPG side is definitely there, yes.

One thing to understand is that it’s a loot fest game, you get tonnes of it. So don’t worry about needing to change your gear as soon as you get something. Just play the level.

It was a common complaint that it’s too much, but part of the game loop (IMO) is maintenance on your swag at the end of a level. You can spend 20 mins just mooching through what you’ve collected, deciding on your best setup and ditching what isn’t needed (you can gift at the shrine for amrita or sell to the blacksmith)

You just keep coloured gear and discard all the shite for mats or dosh. Don't even look at it.

As you level you go from keeping only blue gear to keeping only purple gear to only green gear.

Farm the shit out of revenants to get a good set.  

Yeah, I didn't even look at stuff during a level. Just deal with it at the end. It was pretty much a waste of time though. I mostly dismantled everything at the blacksmith's and even by the end of the game hardly needed any of the materials. Not a fan of tons of loot games personally and it gets in the way of the core game.

39 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Farm the shit out of revenants to get a good set.  

I don't need to know exactly how, but I take it this means I can respawn them? Or do I need to be online?

Want to stay offline for the first time through, tbh. 

If you're offline then you can't really farm them outside a few NPC ones. Otherwise you can usually count on people dying a lot hence having multiple revenants in a level. So not respawning per se more knowing that they'll die as much as you!

Also don't focus on more than two weapons. Certain spells/ninjutsus can make life a lot easier earlier on.

1 hour ago, robdood said:

I don't need to know exactly how, but I take it this means I can respawn them? Or do I need to be online?

Want to stay offline for the first time through, tbh. 

Why do you want to stay offline?

18 minutes ago, robdood said:

Just because that's how I like to do these things the first time! :)

The online of this game is different to DS. You won't get invaded for example. 

Online is pretty much just seeing where people die and the ability to fight them. In this scenario though it really can be just as cool to see the death as well as not see it.

I remember going into one area and seeing death EVERYWHERE. I was like, WTF is lurking around here!? 

Online is also coop and pvp but these are optional and won't affect your single player game.

It's completely up to you of course! :)

19 hours ago, robdood said:

If anyone is interested, I'm finally starting this, 8pm tonight, totally blind other than knowing it's a soulslike by Ninja gaiden guys with mmo / Western rpg tiered  weapons.  I'll be streaming! 

I generally don't care for streams, but I gave this a watch yesterday and enjoyed it. :) Even made me want to pick this up again when I'm finished with my Dark Souls Remastered run. I really enjoyed Nioh, mostly for the fantastic combat. Less of a fan of the constant loot drops. But I also thought the game became a bit too samey around the halfway point, with not enough enemy variety. Still, going back to it after all this time will make it feel fresh again I hope. :)

Oh boy.  I imagine if Diablo, Toukiden and Dark Souls were to mate, and Geralt of Rivia was the father, this game would be the baby. (William and Geralt are definitely related)

It's awesome. (so far - which granted isn't very long at all, I've done the Tower and just started the first mission)  I've gone with dual swords for now because dual swords! Just found my first bow too, amazing fun hiding in the trees and sniping my way to some shinies. I'm so looking forward to playing this some more.  I was going to wait until I had finished Dark Souls to dive in, but I always like to check games I buy on Steam because I quite often find I have issues with them running due to compatibility crap.  After sorting it, I couldn't put the controller down.  Just one little peek round this corner.  Ooh shiny.  I have to stop now. Oooh shiny.  No really, I need to put the controller do...oooh shiny!

I think Pinwheel will just need to wait.

3 hours ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

I Platinumed this on release and just picked up all the DLC in the sale... it definitely increases the difficulty! Just unlocked way of the demon. Anyone got any build related tips? 

Generally you don't need a build per se until NG+ but easy kit to get is the Warrior of the West set, Kingos set, Master Swordsman Set, and the Red Demon set. A Magatama accesory can reduce the requirements for a set by 1. 

The Izaguchi set is supposed to be amazing but I don't have it :(

11 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Generally you don't need a build per se until NG+ but easy kit to get is the Warrior of the West set, Kingos set... :(

I'm started playing this again after I bought all the DLC months ago. Anyway, fucking everyone seems to wear this set! At least that's the impression I get fighting player revenants. Nine times out of ten, they'll be completely kitted out in that set. 

It's fucking brilliant in the early game. 

Not so great later on, but early on it is amazing. Plus it drops everywhere. Largely because everybody wears it!

You can also get a sweet sword early on as a drop which has fire/lightning on it and ups your high attack. It's usually a blue drop and it's well worth upgrading. Nowt else is really.

Until near the end 99% of loot can be ignored, filter by highest damage and sell/convert everything that isn't blue or purple. Very early on yellow gear is worth looking at, but you'll quickly not bother. Then later if it's not blue bin it. You'll keep doing this until you get to greens. Greens you keep, and upgrade as this will form your loadouts etc.

TLDR: Gear means nowt until very late on in the game. Remember this and you won't be bothered by it.

Also: DO ALL THE OPTIONAL MISSIONS. It gets fuck off hard very quickly if you don't. 

I can believe it simply going by its almost oppressive popularity! All I know\remember from its bonuses (I don't use it myself) is that you don't stay in a stun state too long because every time I knock the wind out of a revenant they recover with a frustrating quickness! 

I ended up with the Red Demon Set IIRC. Seemed pretty strong.

I found overall that the game got easier as it went on, although some late boss battles were still tricky. I was a kusari-gama guy and even towards the end most enemies had no answer to my long range chain grab-pull-combo routine. Plus a certain type of magic is very over-powered and when you're struggling it's too easy to rely on it.

This is a fundamental problem I have with DLC. 

Comes months after you’ve finished playing the main game at which point you’ve forgotten everything.

Its the main reason I rarely buy DLC.

Watching robdood’s stream really got me hankering to play it again.

Haha, I had exactly the same problem after Dragon of the North first came out. Loaded up the DLC, all excited, first stage- boss fight... bang.

Took me a good few goes* to git gud enough to beat him, after which I was proper pumped and the next few DLCs flew by. Still can't do many of the extra missions though, even on normal difficulty.

*12?

Just reached the first real boss. :(  Time to git gud!  

I’m actually really glad I took a break from it and decided to check out your latest stream @robdood  I’m 4 minutes in to it and realised one of my most fundamental errors. I forgot to check out the rest of the menu options and totally overlooked the fact you can get skills and stuff. :facepalm: Will be my first point of call when I get back to it! 

On 25/06/2018 at 14:48, El Spatula said:

Generally you don't need a build per se until NG+ but easy kit to get is the Warrior of the West set, Kingos set, Master Swordsman Set, and the Red Demon set. A Magatama accesory can reduce the requirements for a set by 1. 

The Izaguchi set is supposed to be amazing but I don't have it :(

I’m attempting it of Way of the Demon...

• 3 weeks later...

I've said it before but i'll say it again: Nioh is utterly sublime, and overlooked/dismissed by a lot of players. Maybe its release was bad timing, i dunno.

It took very little convincing to spend this evening playing coop with a dear friend of mine who just bought the game, and someone who will relish replaying those un-lockable boss gauntlet missions you are 'rewarded' with come end-game. lol.

Every time i play this game i feel the same way. And i honestly believe the combat system is unparalleled! And this is coming from a Souls fanatic. Maybe its the speed and fluidity of the low-stance (which i use & abuse) that appeals, but it always delivers satisfaction, even when you're being reckless. 

Also, i must've slept through E3 because until tonight i had no idea Nioh 2 was a thing.