The Jungle Book - Disney / Jon Favreau

CarloOos

Not really feeling it tbh. Scarlett's accent threw me out of the world and goodness knows how anyone (Idris Elba) can replace George Sanders in such an iconic role. However I'm aware I'm not the target audience so it doesn't matter!

I'm not feeling Scarlett as Kaa either and I think the right man for Khan would have been Jeremy Irons. Or maybe they're saving him to reprise his Scar role for when they inevitably do a CGI Lion King.

I wouldn't say that looks soulless, the hyper-real not-quite-cartoon aesthetic looks lush. Reminds me of Life of Pie.

It's been interesting following this because I know people who have worked on both of the upcoming Jungle Book films. From what I gather the Andy Serkis / Warner Bros one has a similar visual style but is much more faithful to the Rudyard Kipling stories and the Indian setting. The Disney one is obviously an adaption of their animated version but comes out a year sooner, which will likely take the wind out the other one's sails.

• 6 months later...

Watched this last night, initially I wasn't keen on the trailer but my partner really wanted to see it. The thought of awkward looking CG animals and a film focused on a real little kid actor seemed daunting. Well, I was presently surprised. I enjoyed it and was surprised how grown up it felt as a 'kids movie'. We both came home and started watching clips from the original, they had made some really interesting changes and clearly if they had recreated the original ending it would have caused a stir in today's world. 

Oh, if you see it try and stay in your seats for 10-13 seconds after the film ends as it has a wonderful, original and fun credits scene.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

utterly awful 3d

Oh really? I was pretty impressed by it all. I liked that the characters were slightly stylistic and had subtle Disney like animations to them, were you wanting them to look more photoreal or more stylistic?

The other night SIR Ben Kingsley was on the One Show plugging this with little kid. The presenters had met him before so obviously knew how to properly address SIR Ben Kingsley. But even Mowgli took great care to always refer to SIR Ben Kingsley as SIR Ben.

16 hours ago, VN1X said:

Scarlett Johansson's bit made me rather weak in the knees... Ahem.

Does this prove that you can record an entire film in an artificial environment with little to no physical elements? (looking at George)

So the guy from swingers directs animated movies now, who knew?!

funny your comment on no physical elements, Elba voice work was pretty much getting slated in the metro today.

and yes, Miss Johansson is looking mighty fine in that video 

Saw this with my two boys last night (in 2D).  I was a bit underwhelmed after all the praise, tbh.  It wasn't bad per se, but not a patch on the Disney cartoon version.  Also, I don't understand why everything was so oversized.  It looked amazing, mind, but perhaps a bit too dark in parts.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Saw this with my two boys last night (in 2D).  I was a bit underwhelmed after all the praise, tbh.  It wasn't bad per se, but not a patch on the Disney cartoon version.  Also, I don't understand why everything was so oversized.  It looked amazing, mind, but perhaps a bit too dark in parts.

Going with my 6 year old on Saturday, did your kids like it?