The King of Fighters XIV

Dig Dug

Ack, it looks too early to call. The models do have that plastic-like gloss of PS2 era fighters and the trailer looked oddly stiff but that will all likely look different when the camera is fixed where it should be.

It's odd that it doesn't look wonderful though since, if I'm remembering correctly, KoF XII and XIII used 3D models which were then digitised to create their sprites?

I'll buy it anyway, of course.

I remember enjoying Maximum Impact on PS2 back in the day, and having quite a few multiplayer sessions at uni. It was a solid fighter. So long as this holds up mechanically I'm not too worried about the graphics, I even think the old 2000s-era arcade graphics have a certain charm to them. Though I don't doubt budget rather than style was the deciding factor here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wow I missed the announcement of this. Crushingly disappointing. As wonderful as KOF's fighting systems are, half the joy of the series for me has always been it's lovely 2D art and animation. There's nothing recent that even compares to what they did with KOF 12 and 13, the way they naturally evolved the old school sprite work was a thing to behold, and was so distinct and was exactly what I dreamed of from a modern SNK game. But this is bitterly disappointing.

Let's see how they can improve on the magnificent XIII. Maybe Vanessa, Geese, Blue Mary, Yamazaki and Whip will be playable?

(Watches video)

Oh, turns out they couldn't improve on it. Oh well.

. There's nothing recent that even compares to what they did with KOF 12 and 13, the way they naturally evolved the old school sprite work was a thing to behold, and was so distinct and was exactly what I dreamed of from a modern SNK game.

I'd champion GGXrd right here. What that game accomplished was one hell of a fusion between classic and modern styles. Pretty mindblowing stuff.

It's ugly as fuck but the way the characters move is as close to the 2D versions yet. The hit stuns and follow ups are almost identical.

It is so, so ugly though. Andy looks like he's terminally ill. Maybe they'll do a Tony Hawk and cell shade it or something because that just doesn't look good at all. Maximum Impact looks more polished and that is a decade old PS2 game.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless it's some *massive* potentially company destroying troll, I don't want to imagine the kind of development hell this is going through...

"Lets just get our 2D artists make models, I hear Blenders pretty cheap."

*shudder*

Interesting interview here with the producer, Yasuyuki Oda.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13571.shtml#72069

There's some good stuff about assembling the team for the game, the decision to take the game into 3D, and the disadvantages of 2D. Of particular note is how they've had trouble rendering slim characters (who are very common in KOF) as per the much maligned picture of Andy. Maybe that's why XII and XIII had very muscular designs for most of the men as the pixel art in those games was derived from 3D models.

Personally I love KOF and the graphics have never been a big part of that. But I find it hard to get excited about a game that looks as XIV currently does. At the very least the gameplay from PSX looks sharper than Maximum Impact but it's still a long way from the Neo Geo games. The lack of arcade release is a concern as well, especially with that famous SNK netcode. I hope they continue to improve it, but this feels very much like a stepping stone release just as XII was.

So apparently there has been a leak today showing that all the games included in the SNK humble bundle will be coming to steam in the next month, WITH NETPLAY.

This is amazing news. Fucking Mark of the Wolves on PC with netplay, I hope the netcode is good.

It might also explain why the humble bundle ports were so basic. They are probably holding features button mapping for the steam editions (hopefully).

Also apparently every game released for the Neo Geo X is coming to steam as well.

Good vid here explaining the gameplay systems shown to date:

think it looks really good this - love SNK fighters, yeah the graphics suck but apart from the last two KOF has never been a pretty game compared to the smaller roster fighters of say MOTW or SF3

Can't wait to see some of the new characters from the leaked list