rllmuk
Hexx

Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix)

Finished JJ S3 over the weekend.

They've been so frustrating, these Netflix series. Some really good core casting (Jessica, Killgrave, Malcolm, Hogarth, Sallinger  and Trish's Mom in this one - Daredevil, Kingpin, Father whatisface and the nun, Cage, Cottonmouth, Mariah, Shades, Colleen, the Meachums, Davos and, of course, The Punisher) with writers and overall stories that do a good job of putting these heroes under appropriate stress and challenge.

Decent budgets and production values. (I really enjoyed all the, is it tilt-shift?, photography in this, where Manhattan looks like toytown.)

Several actually good villains - something the cinema Marvel stuff has really struggled with. And imperfect heroes, with finite capabilities, facing appropriate moral challenges should be so much more interesting to watch. Kingpin, Killgrave, Davos, Sallinger and Cottonmouth/Mariah were all excellent foils and mirrors for their respective heroes.

But then really and repeatedly hobbled by episode inflation and terribly numbing side-plots, and initially also hampered by the need to throw them all into Defenders, which was shit. There's a whole episode in this series of just an extended flashback of the previous episode. Fuck's sake.

Who cares about Hogarth's ALS? She's a shit, and not even important.

If they'd have used the flexibility of being on a streaming platform to make episodes and series of appropriate durations, and/or created enough story to fit the orders, they'd be so much better. As it is, we keep having these seasons where it's all resolved in episode 6, the villain gets away/dies/is jailed, we spend a few episodes doing something irrelevant and then either the bad guy comes back or we get a new surprise one.

What wasted potential.

And so they die to the Disney licence, not with viewer demand to bring them back ASAP, but having overstayed their welcome.

• Upvote 1

There were some good parts of S3, though. Although it took too long, Trish, Malcom and Erik all provide good windows onto Jessica. Jones continues to be brilliant, and Sallinger is a top-tier villain, even if it overly-stretched belief at times.

I thought there was enough about Sallinger, and his ranting to the heroes (who just happen to be women) about their lazy cheating lying ways and so on that gave him a bit of a vibe. He obviously was a cut-price Dexter on the most obvious level, for sure.

• Upvote 1

FInished the last series and decided that imo JJ is probably the best Marvel Tv show they made. Followed closely by DD of course and then my main man The Punisher.

Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Defenders were a bit shit.

Overall i'd rate them:

1. Dare Devil 

2. Punisher

3. Jessica Jones

4. Defenders

5. Iron Fist

6. Luke Cage 

But they're all flawed and had such potential to be great. 

Regarding S3 of JJ:

Spoiler

Sure Trish was a shit character but was a bit harsh sending her to super jail when she only killed 3 bad guys when The Punisher has killed hundreds

Finished this last night - a bit slow starting like so many of the Netflix Marvel series, but really enjoyed the Jess/Trish/Salinger dynamics. Carrie-Anne Moss’s story arc seemed utterly pointless though, unless it was all to push Malcolm back to freelancing for the final payoff. Ritter is still superb; she’s got that weary reluctant cynicism nailed. I’m going to miss the show a lot. There is at least some good news - I had read that she wouldn’t be interested in playing Jones again, but she responded to that question on her Twitter feed.802DB3CC-98C7-400D-AF93-5D180F3001F4.thumb.png.e7b18f2b55f64e33d0865f2206628103.png 

• Upvote 1

That is such a frustrating end.

It’s not just me that saw it as Kilgrave taking over Jessica, right?

18 hours ago, Meh said:

That is such a frustrating end.

Hide contents

It’s not just me that saw it as Kilgrave taking over Jessica, right?

I didn’t see it like that at all - I thought

she was ready to give it all up, but hearing Kilgrave telling her it was good that she was running away brought out the contrarian in her and gave her the resolve to go back and carry on fighting.

• Upvote 3

Finished season 3 today. It's better than season 2, but still not as good as season 1. Overall, I've enjoyed the show a lot. I could look at Ritter all day. :wub:

On 01/07/2019 at 22:55, Azrael said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sure Trish was a shit character but was a bit harsh sending her to super jail when she only killed 3 bad guys when The Punisher has killed hundreds

Spoiler

Yeah, considering they're set in the same universe, it did seem a bit unfair. Why does the Punisher get a free pass?

On 02/07/2019 at 22:17, footle said:
Spoiler

@Azrael - the lesson is don't get caught.

Spoiler

He does get caught though, doesn't he? Multiple times if I recall. He always seems to get a pardon from the CIA or whatever at the end of the show.