rllmuk
rgraves

Pokemon Go

Ah crap I thought it was better than that at first glance. Like, it gave you a google streetview photo of where it was near or something. And then I wondered how they'd done that without massively increasing server load. I guess that's the answer!

Edit: Also, why release beta functionality to a subset of users for a game that's, at least partially, competitive? If the new Nearby feature actually works well you're giving a small % of people an advantage over others. I can see why they've done it (presumably to test what happens to their servers) but it's still a little bit unusual and unfair.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2016 at 08:33, DirkCrisis said:

I think I've narrowed down where I'm getting the 10K eggs from. I've had 5 of them and I think they're coming from 1 of 2 stops. There is a thread on Reddit somewhere which theorises that only some stops drop 10K eggs and only a certain percentage of the time. I don't like analysing these things too much as it takes the fun out of it but it seems that the 10K eggs are bound to certain stops, which is a bit of a shame.

This is really interesting (but yes, agree it's a shame), hadn't read about this at all, so cheers for bringing it to my attention. Just so happened to get a 10k egg this morning, and noted which stop, so I'll try and engineer all my egg getting from this stop from now on and see what happens. It's the Balham Post Office stop in South London, just in case anyone's in the area :).

The first time I got that 50 XP bonus this morning definitely gave me a warm fuzzy feeling :)

it's better than i was expecting. i only see the sightings bit, but i heard only some USA citys have the whole pokestop thing.

Also, their is a msg that pops up every 5 minutes when driving now... you have to confirm you are a passenger.

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

it's better than i was expecting. i only see the sightings bit, but i heard only some USA citys have the whole pokestop thing.

Also, their is a msg that pops up every 5 minutes when driving now... you have to confirm you are a passenger.

That pop-up is a pain in the backside. Especially since the first time I saw it was when I was sat on my sofa!

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah, probably needed

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14669034.Man_driving__all_over_the_road__caught_playing_Pok__mon_Go/

What are you meaning by this new "sightings" needing pokestops? I have sightings and no pokestops.

It helps to read all of the posts deKay. There is a new tracking mechanic that tells you how far away from a certain pokestop a pokemon is. It has only been released as a kind of beta in San Francisco (I think) and is not in the latest full update. So yes, you do only see the nearby sightings and not the pokestop type nearby stuff...

• Upvote 4

183ae3609d3e11a568151d89406de87e.png

This is what we'll be getting... It's only on in San Fransisco at the moment... Basically you can track specific Pokemon near poke stops in the same way you could with pokevision... The "in the wild" are basically Pokemon within a 700m radius and could be anywhere... So if you don't have any poke stops near you you'll be spending your time aimlessly wandering around, whereas those with poke stops will be able to accurately track specific Pokemon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

This is what we'll be getting... It's only on in San Fransisco at the moment... Basically you can track specific Pokemon near poke stops in the same way you could with pokevision... The "in the wild" are basically Pokemon within a 700m radius and could be anywhere... So if you don't have any poke stops near you you'll be spending your time aimlessly wandering around, whereas those with poke stops will be able to accurately track specific Pokemon.

I don't think this is quite right. From what I've read I think the "Sightings" thing works better than we've had for the past couple of weeks. For one it apparently actually removes pokemon from the display when they despawn or you get too far away (imagine that!) and for two I think the radius is smaller now. More like between 200m and 500m, rather than 700m. People are saying it's easier than it was, basically, even just with the Sightings.

With the new Nearby functionality, I'm a bit disappointed with it basically just telling you where the pokemon is (ie. next to this stop), but I think it's probably better than what we've had since they removed it in the first place.

There's a new app called GoRadar that's come out on the app store - looks the same as pokevisiom to me, surprised it hasn't shut down!

13 minutes ago, Janson said:

There's a new app called GoRadar that's come out on the app store - looks the same as pokevisiom to me, surprised it hasn't shut down!

It's a wrapped version of the working Pokemon Go tracker I linked to a few pages back. They shut down other cloud-hosted trackers, that used the same code, simply by blocking the IP address ranges of AWS/Heroku/etc. preventing them logging in. They also used the same PTC/Google account for hundreds of people, so easily discovered.

With a self-hosted, or app version, of the code, it's a single account per user and isn't from a central bank of cloud hosted IP addresses - much harder to track and block.

For the first time ever I managed to keep a gym over night! Took it over yesterday, put a relatively weak Pokémon in so others would level it up. A few minutes later 2 others had joined. I just left me house and checked, sure it would be gone as always, but now the gym is at a nice level 6 :D only needs to last 3 more hours and I can claim coins for it again! 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Illyria said:

For the first time ever I managed to keep a gym over night! Took it over yesterday, put a relatively weak Pokémon in so others would level it up. A few minutes later 2 others had joined. I just left me house and checked, sure it would be gone as always, but now the gym is at a nice level 6 :D only needs to last 3 more hours and I can claim coins for it again! 

I think this is the important key that people need to learn when it comes to gyms. Sure, by all means put your 2k Snorlax on if you are the one that just captured it. But, if you're the 2nd one there? Drop a training Pokemon instead. Putting another big bastard on there means that nobody is going to be bothered prestiging it. Whereas, a reasonable CP (500+) Pokemon in the bottom position can be beaten easily enough by your team members, which will lead to the gym being levelled up more quickly.

The 'in the wild' Pokemon tracking is a lot more responsive apparently, refreshes every 10 seconds and the Pokemon at the front of the list is the nearest. 

Also if you are on the bus/tram etc you have to dismiss this menu with "I'm a passenger!"

10 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Also if you are on the bus/tram etc you have to dismiss this menu with "I'm a passenger!"

Or sitting at your desk....

Yes mine just came up saying im moving too fast when im at my desk. Obviously it's detecting how quickly you move from one point to another, not actually the speed you are travelling at.

FUCK SAKE.

Went for a walk. 5k egg hatched in my pocket, didn't notice. What was in it? Fuck all.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Went for a walk. 5k egg hatched in my pocket, didn't notice. What was in it? Fuck all.

Checked your journal? Egg hatches appear in that now.

16 minutes ago, John0 said:

Checked your journal? Egg hatches appear in that now.

I hadn't, but there's nothing there about eggs since the egg I hatched first thing today.

2 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Yes mine just came up saying im moving too fast when im at my desk. Obviously it's detecting how quickly you move from one point to another, not actually the speed you are travelling at.

I think the method is a straight line after 60 seconds and 300m traveled.