rllmuk
rgraves

Pokemon Go

From the FT:

"Analysts at Macquarie calculate that Nintendo’s investment in Niantic means it is making about 10 per cent of the Apple and Android store revenues churned out by Pokémon GO. Nintendo also holds a 33 per cent stake in the Pokémon Company, which receives about 30 per cent of the game’s revenues.

Assuming Pokémon GO generates monthly gross revenue of ¥10bn, JPMorgan analysts calculate the game would boost Nintendo’s annual profits by less than ¥10bn."

10bn Yen = 100 million USD.

Why does Nintendo only own 33% of the Pokemon Company?

I walked about two miles today catching Pokemon and caught a lot of water Pokemon.  I am Team Red but all the gyms in my town are red. Once I have a high level Pokemon I will drop one off at one of them.  I walk around with my phone plugged into my battery pack so if I see anyone else doing the same, I know what they are doing.

This is amazing. I wanted to go out for a quick walk, go to maybe 2 spots of interest just to see what it's like. Ended up walking around for 1.5 hours, I joined team blue, hatched my first egg, walked 3.6km. And at the end I still had to force myself to go home and not say "but there's another point of interest just a couple blocks down THAT road".  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

What does a speculative rise in a company's share price have to do with how well this game might do financially long term for Nintendo? unless they pay everybody in shares, it's meaningless. UK banks and house builders were being bid up pre-Brexit, the 'smart' money doesn't always reflect the future reality...

Shares are an investment, and if you bought Nintendo shares a week ago they're now worth 25% more. That's real money. It also means higher dividends for share holders. Whatever percentage of actual sales Nintendo is getting, the value of the company is of paramount importance.

I can't see a PokemonGo Brexit scenario bursting this bubble anytime soon, unless the games actually ruled to be a threat to humanity. Although almost as many downloads as Twitter. In a week. That's not a fad, it's a pandemic.

• Upvote 1

So I battled against a gym and won. I assumed I would then take the gym but apparently not. Does the team need to do more damage etc?  I'm confused.

Edit: nevermind,  read the faq again.

8 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Some kind soul has put a pretty decent new users' faq up on gaf. Here's a link to the post.

Awesome man, thanks for that link! 

31 minutes ago, Hean Dog said:

What is supposed to happen at a place of interest, I walked past one when leaving work tonight and didn't see anything happen.

You spin that medal shaped photo and then you get items, usually pokeballs, and I also got three eggs so far. 

Has anyone had a failed transfer to the professor? I ony have 10 pokemon but it is showing up as 11?

I was going to head out again but the servers are down so will continue tomorrow.  I'm considering quitting my job and doing his full time and selling my Pokemon on the black market.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm planning on leaving for work 5 minutes early in the morning incase Charizard is hanging out by the fire station. 

No such look, just a bloody Pidgey hanging about.

Love all the hype killing in here. Or attempts at it. All a bit desperate. 

Obviously it remains to be seen how sticky it is, and until I've played it I can't judge the way they've structured the monetisation of it. I'm intrigued to see how it does in Japan where all the gacha stuff rules the roost. But those install numbers, in that number of days, are insane. And you don't unseat Clash et al at the summit of the top grossing chart unless you're doing very well indeed.

The future may be unclear but right now the greatest game company of all time is setting the most grimily unscrupulous game market on the planet on absolute fucking fire. If you can't get excited about that there's something wrong with you. 

• Upvote 6

I don't think it'll have the same impact as Pokemon, but Nintendo have AC waiting in the wings... I'm sure they're learning a LOT from this launch and will be incorporating the various hooks into AC mobile. At least I hope they are. As much as I hate to say it, AC was born for this market. It will be massive. Plus they'll benefit from it 100%.

• Upvote 1

I joined the gym that's right next to my building, I have no idea what I'm doing. The guy who is the leader is already level 9 with a 632 level Hypno.

Also everyone is talking about handing Pokémon over to the scientist, is that just for team yellow? Or how do I do that, I can't find it? 

had to pop out so got a friend to help capture 6-7 pokestops whilst i was driving. annoyingly came across two new pokemon which crashed the app once captured =/ one saved the other didn't. Bit annoying tbh..

saw a few people near poke stops with their phones out.. i will assume they where playing along.

I've had a bit of a play of this, I can see the appeal but I can't help wishing I was still a sprightly student with lots of friends and free time. As a clapped-out 35 year old with a three week old baby living on the outskirts of Telford, I'm just not sure I'm going to get the best out of this...

• Upvote 3

I opened the app at the hotel bar I'm staying at in Swindon and immediately someone asked what I'd caught nearby. Quick Intel share and then an awkward but strangely enjoyable 2km walk around town with a complete stranger and we're both 5-6 Pokemon better off.

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, graemandius said:

I opened the app at the hotel bar I'm staying at in Swindon and immediately someone asked what I'd caught nearby. Quick Intel share and then an awkward but strangely enjoyable 2km walk around town with a complete stranger and we're both 5-6 Pokemon better off.

did you show each other your pocket monsters after

• Upvote 7

I don't know fuck all about Pokémon, but I downloaded it and walked round with it while my daughter played on her scooter, got 12 Pokémon now

3 x Spearow's

2 x Pidgey's

2 x Zubat's

1 x Rattata

1 x Weedle

1 x Magikarp

1 x Charmander

1 x Pidgeotto

And up to a Level 3.

not sure really how to see where POI's are etc yet, but it's a really interesting concept.