rllmuk
rgraves

Pokemon Go

7 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

I haven't evolved it yet as I promised my son we would do it together today after work. He's super psyched!

Ah very restrained :). Fingers crossed for Hydro Pump!

2 hours ago, deKay said:

How the fuck did you get 400 magicarp candy?!

Loughborough has plenty of parks, lakes, ponds, canals & rivers. I can easily catch between 5-10 Magikarp on my way to and from work every day.

Queens Park in Loughborough is full of water Pokemon with very high spawn rates.

Bah. Pidgey/Ratata/Weedle country here. Well, not today as there's still literally NOTHING about.

I'm going to take a stroll round the park, hopefully another Vaporeon or something better will spawn. Evolved my Dratini into an 1120CP Dragonair, so on the lookout for enough to get the 89 candy to evolve it again.

Also, has anyone noticed the same pokemon will spawn different levels for other peoploe? I spawned a low CP mon, about 140CP, yet my other half spawned one over 500CP! Thing is, I'm Lv25 and she was Lv17!!!

Yeah and randomly there was a Drowsee in the office the other, 3 of us caught it, me (Lv18) and another guy (Lv22) caught a 142CP, another guy (Lv13) caught a 445CP! I don't know how they work it out...

7 minutes ago, *chin* said:

Yeah and randomly there was a Drowsee in the office the other, 3 of us caught it, me (Lv18) and another guy (Lv22) caught a 142CP, another guy (Lv13) caught a 445CP! I don't know how they work it out...

Last sunday, when I got my 1222CP Vaporeon, my other half caught one that was around the mid 400 mark. If she'd caught the 1222CP one and me the lesser one, I'd have seriously lost my shit!

The game is basically a fruit machine, guys.  Study will not help you beat the RNG. 

• Upvote 1

I've just hit 240 Magikarp candy, but I'm not doing my walk home from work at the moment so everyone is catching up/overtaking. Bah. I've not actually transferred one in ages because I want to check IVs which is going to become a mega task.

I'm only bothering to check IVs on egg hatched ones, or anything over 100. Hoping I can hatch another before I hit 400.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Bah. Pidgey/Ratata/Weedle country here. Well, not today as there's still literally NOTHING about.

I've caught loads today, try a proper reboot of the phone?

1 hour ago, *chin* said:

1 hour ago, Superfamifreak said:

Last sunday, when I got my 1222CP Vaporeon, my other half caught one that was around the mid 400 mark. If she'd caught the 1222CP one and me the lesser one, I'd have seriously lost my shit!

They're the same Pokemon, and will have the same IVs. CP is some weird kind of algorithm that I don't know if anyone has worked out, but at max level you would all have the same stats. Run them through an IV checker.

31 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I've caught loads today, try a proper reboot of the phone?

Done that. A couple of friends have had nothing today either. Maybe it's a local problem?  We're not even seeing any local gyms or pokestops, and the Nearby box is empty.

On 8/3/2016 at 09:56, CheekyLee said:

Yes, I am definitely seeing more aggressive behaviour from wild low-CP beasties, but for all I know this is just the expected behaviour from higher level encounters. I know for certain that Pokemon got harder to catch as I progressed through the handheld games, just as I know for certain that none of us were level 20 when the game launched less than a month ago.

Was thinking about this last night. The problem isn't entirely that pokemon become harder to catch as you level up. Of course leveling up should give you access to higher level pokemon, which should be harder to catch. The problem is the lack of XP and stardust scaling. The way leveling works in all games, is that when you're a low level you need less XP to level up, you fight easier to kill enemies, and you get lower XP rewards. But all three of these things scale up together (not at the same rate, but at least they correspond and are related in some way) so when you defeat that massive boss you get a crap load of XP for your troubles.

Right now, there's 0 incentive to catch mid-range pokemon because they cost so many resources and give exactly the same rewards as low level pokemon. This is compounded if you don't have easy access to pokestops. Sure, complaining about not being able to catch a free pokemon with free items on one hand seems ridiculous, but that's not the whole story. I think it's a pretty major design flaw that not only does leveling up take much more XP as you go up the levels (very standard), but also that XP and stardust get harder and harder to collect at the same time (cannot think of another game that does this). If you have a 1200 CP Poliwrath, what's the incentive to catch an 800 CP Polywrath that might take 8-10 Great Balls or whatever?

Leveling in games is purely there to provide a psychological illusion of progress. I really think it fails to do this effectively because of the misalignment of rewards and difficulty, and that's a big problem.

Edit: Actually that's not quite right. It's more that the risk-reward balance is out of whack. Games are almost entirely risk reward. And mid-range pokemon are currently quite high risk, but offer the same reward as low range pokemon. That's pretty nonsensical.

You've got people in this thread just not bothering anymore after getting to the late teens or early twenties. If I didn't live and work in a major city awash with stops I wouldn't know what to do about it.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, deKay said:

Done that. A couple of friends have had nothing today either. Maybe it's a local problem?  We're not even seeing any local gyms or pokestops, and the Nearby box is empty.

That's odd.. are you all on the latest update? given that the API changed i think it's forcing an app update in the sense that it will log in but it cannot translate the data returned by the API so that would explain you all seeing nothing.

9 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

That's odd.. are you all on the latest update? given that the API changed i think it's forcing an app update in the sense that it will log in but it cannot translate the data returned by the API so that would explain you all seeing nothing.

Yep, latest update. Two on android, me on iOS.

4 hours ago, deKay said:

How the fuck did you get 400 magicarp candy?!

I've gotten 90% of mine from Green Park, 5/6 spawn at a time. That and about 3 weeks of hunting at lunch time.

I took my friends phone out for him and I caught him a perfect IV rated Magikarp at level 90, I have one at 118 and its cack. Todays lunch time will be spent in Green park sitting between two Lured Pokestops with an Incense. I will catch my perfect Magikarp today to evolve.

52 minutes ago, John0 said:

Was thinking about this last night. The problem isn't entirely that pokemon become harder to catch as you level up. Of course leveling up should give you access to higher level pokemon, which should be harder to catch. The problem is the lack of XP and stardust scaling. The way leveling works in all games, is that when you're a low level you need less XP to level up, you fight easier to kill enemies, and you get lower XP rewards. But all three of these things scale up together (not at the same rate, but at least they correspond and are related in some way) so when you defeat that massive boss you get a crap load of XP for your troubles.

Right now, there's 0 incentive to catch mid-range pokemon because they cost so many resources and give exactly the same rewards as low level pokemon. This is compounded if you don't have easy access to pokestops. Sure, complaining about not being able to catch a free pokemon with free items on one hand seems ridiculous, but that's not the whole story. I think it's a pretty major design flaw that not only does leveling up take much more XP as you go up the levels (very standard), but also that XP and stardust get harder and harder to collect at the same time (cannot think of another game that does this). If you have a 1200 CP Poliwrath, what's the incentive to catch an 800 CP Polywrath that might take 8-10 Great Balls or whatever?

Leveling in games is purely there to provide a psychological illusion of progress. I really think it fails to do this effectively because of the misalignment of rewards and difficulty, and that's a big problem.

Edit: Actually that's not quite right. It's more that the risk-reward balance is out of whack. Games are almost entirely risk reward. And mid-range pokemon are currently quite high risk, but offer the same reward as low range pokemon. That's pretty nonsensical.

You've got people in this thread just not bothering anymore after getting to the late teens or early twenties. If I didn't live and work in a major city awash with stops I wouldn't know what to do about it.

I completely agree with you, higher-level Pokemon should either come with more XP, more Candies, or more Stardust. The only real problem that shouts out to me immediately is that there's no obvious visual tell that the Pidgey on the radar is level X, so you're still going to have to tap it to see the colour of the catch circle.

I was just suggesting a reason why Pokemon are harder to catch at higher levels. There wouldn't have been any complaints if this meant better rewards. This is another of Niantic's cock-ups, and I feel they would benefit massively from discussion with an actual traditional game designer at some point. The actual game aspect of the app seems to have caught them totally by surprise, but this is just the kind of thing that happens when CEOs design things.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, John0 said:

It does feel like they're doing everything they can to dissuade you from catching pokemon. I mean, by focusing on easy Pokemon I've managed to sort out my ball situation entirely but I'm obviously getting less XP. Since there's only perhaps 4 or 5 Pokemon that are actually worth having for gym use the rest of them have to be treated as little more than fodder. I mean, the top few are useful for padding out a team in a gym attack but your 250 Pokemon limit is really about 240 more than you need, everything else you can transfer if you're being thoroughly mercenary.

The problem is that they're inevitably going to add new Pokemon that are more powerful, making the current ones even more useless. They should have focused more on the attacks (ie. one in fifty/one hundred/one thousand/whatever rats you evolve can take down a Snorlax) rather than CP.

It's an incredibly badly designed game. That it's quite fun is a massive, massive fluke.

• Upvote 1

I've just tried to come out of my trainer levelling funk a bit with a wander around at lunchtime. With a bit of application, grinding my way through pidgeys, spearows and zubats I've finally managed to break level 15. But it is getting harder. At least I got a 10K egg out of it, which I think was the greatest achievement of the expedition. Conversely, my two 2K eggs which hatched en route were goddam pidgeys.

At the moment, it's a bit of a grind but I'm hoping something else will be thrown into the mix. It's only been out a few weeks and feels like they make the majority of the changes server side so we might see things changing a bit more swiftly.

7 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I've just tried to come out of my trainer levelling funk a bit with a wander around at lunchtime. With a bit of application, grinding my way through pidgeys, spearows and zubats I've finally managed to break level 15. But it is getting harder. At least I got a 10K egg out of it, which I think was the greatest achievemnt of the expedition. Conversely, my two 2K eggs which hatched en route were goddam pidgeys.

At the moment, it's a bit of a grind but I'm hoping something else will be thrown into the mix. It's only been out a few weeks and feels like they make the majority of the changes server side so we might see things changing a bit more swiftly.

I think it helps when you work in the centre of a city, so many pokestops and then all add up, I'm almost level 21 now and I've never really had to grind my way up, just catch and Pokemon and hatch eggs. Add a lucky egg to double it. I stored a shed load of Pidey's for that reason alone.

The trouble is, even if they add stuff it's incredibly difficult to convince yourself they'll add something good.

I think the biggest problem with the game for me (aside from the nearby being a chocolate teapot) is still the fact that playing it if you live in a rural location is fucking pointless, all you get are weedles, caterpies, pidgeys, rattatas, drowzee's and spearows.

In these locations the least they could do would be to stop those useless fucks spawning every couple of days and replace them with mid/high tier Mons, yeah I've grabbed some of the rarer ones round where I live, but my chance of ever finding them again is next to none.

• Upvote 2

I'm fortunate to live in the suburbs and work in a small city, but the difference between my suburb and the city really is night and day. My street is a wasteland which occasionally spawns a pidgey. God knows how people who live a rural lifestyle play this. 

They don't.

Getting fed up of this now, it's endless spearow / pidgey etc and whether I see a new Pokemon on the radar or not makes sod all difference to me finding it

10 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I think the biggest problem with the game for me (aside from the nearby being a chocolate teapot) is still the fact that playing it if you live in a rural location is fucking pointless, all you get are weedles, caterpies, pidgeys, rattatas, drowzee's and spearows.

In these locations the least they could do would be to stop those useless fucks spawning every couple of days and replace them with mid/high tier Mons, yeah I've grabbed some of the rarer ones round where I live, but my chance of ever finding them again is next to none.

I do feel that that is something that those who spend all their time in city centres are missing out on, they'll never quite understand the feeling when that Wartortle silhouette appears on Nearby. At launch, my girlfriend's son and his friend went out hunting a Pikachu at 3am. I went trying to find a Dratini one Saturday morning. (Now, I doubt either of us would make a move unless Mew showed up, because we'd have so little chance of finding whatever we saw.) There's an argument for saying that tracker sites took that away, obviously.

The flipside of this, I guess, is that it kind of auto-balances gyms, at least in theory. I think, though, that I'd rather see a wider variety of Pokemon on gyms than endless Vaporeons, Snorlax, Gyarados, and Lapras, three of which I've never even seen in the wild.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

It's an incredibly badly designed game. That it's quite fun is a massive, massive fluke.

The fact that they nerfed a bunch of moves as well, without telling anyone, and without any kind of compensation or offset :facepalm:. So amateur. Feels like they could nerf something you just spent tens of thousands of stardust on at any point.