rllmuk
rgraves

Pokemon Go

Just now, Bacon Horsemeat said:

try Fully Dim, and Dim when idle

Has the same effect, to shut off that backlight. Also make sure it's active (you have to tap on the bulb before it starts). Silly mistake I made the first time.

Illyria, I'm using a Wileyfox Swift, a budget priced phone. Works perfectly (other than server side issues).

Auto backlight fully dims when in my pocket by itself!  Never mind :) 

15 minutes ago, Bennette98 said:

Here's a list of where different types of mons can be found

image.jpeg

I got 3 different water ones on my way through kings cross this morning which surprised me, I've 23 now after not really trying very hard.  With the dupes I've been transferring the lowest level ones to the trainer, is that the best thing?  It also seems pointless upgrading them at the moment as the ones I catch now are so much better than the initial ones.

5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

What's the "Recharge" time on a pokestop

Dont know exactly, but I've hit the one at my office 4 times in the half hour I've been at work so far.

Just now, Hexx said:

What's the "Recharge" time on a pokestop

5 mins, I think. 

The app told me 10 minutes yesterday.

It's amazing going to and from work on the bus and drive by poke-stopping, which you have to be quick with but is a decent way of picking up pokeballs/eggs. 

35 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I don't think it's the screen that drains the most battery. The game is constantly using GPS and data when you're out and about. As anyone who has ever used a sat nav on their phone will know, it's the sort of app that will drain a battery quickest. Until better GPS and roaming technology develops it's always going to be the sort of app that is a battery killer. 

But I use Map My Walk with no such problems.

Okay so one thing that I'm confused about, and maybe it's just something that's not working for me after all.

I just noticed that the gym in my house was taken over by my blue team, there was only one guy sitting in it, and I simply added my strongest mon to the arena, and took the second place. Then I wanted to do in-gym fighting, to train and try out a battle. I clicked on the boxing gloves and was able to pick out a mon, I took my second strongest one. But then nothing happened? And when I pressed x again and returned to the arena, another team was battling us, so maybe that's why. We got defeated (without me doing any actual battle), the gym was empty, I was quick and took it, but then again team yellow came and took it from me, once again without me being engaged in an actual battle, I merely saw that animation on top of the gym when you're in the map, that shows there is a battle going on.

Help? What is actually supposed to happen? 

32 minutes ago, Bennette98 said:

Here's a list of where different types of mons can be found

image.jpeg

Has this been corroborated anywhere? Some of the above is true, I find Caterpies, Weedles, and Digletts at the park up the hill, but I have some doubts about just how much PGO knows about your surroundings. Yes, the geographic data it uses contains information about roads, waterways, woods and parkland, but I've yet to see anything to suggest knowledge about individual building types, or what the current weather in your area is.

Ok so that's how it's supposed to look.

Squad.

Ok so, if you are in an arena and get attacked, shouldn't you get a notification so you can actually ENGAGE in the battle?

So did I just encounter a bug? I've been kicked out of an arena three times now without engaging in a battle. halp

6 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Okay so one thing that I'm confused about, and maybe it's just something that's not working for me after all.

I just noticed that the gym in my house was taken over by my blue team, there was only one guy sitting in it, and I simply added my strongest mon to the arena, and took the second place. Then I wanted to do in-gym fighting, to train and try out a battle. I clicked on the boxing gloves and was able to pick out a mon, I took my second strongest one. But then nothing happened? And when I pressed x again and returned to the arena, another team was battling us, so maybe that's why. We got defeated (without me doing any actual battle), the gym was empty, I was quick and took it, but then again team yellow came and took it from me, once again without me being engaged in an actual battle, I merely saw that animation on top of the gym when you're in the map, that shows there is a battle going on.

Help? What is actually supposed to happen? 

You won't be involved when another player battles your defending Pokemon. When a gym has been newly taken over it'll be at its weakest, because to strengthen them against rival teams you need to engage in training battles at a gym you're affiliated with in order to raise its "prestige" which is sort of like the gym's HP.

My guess is that you're right, you encountered a weird issue where you were trying to start a training battle while the gym was taken over.

5 minutes ago, revlob said:

You won't be involved when another player battles your defending Pokemon. When a gym has been newly taken over it'll be at its weakest, because to strengthen them against rival teams you need to engage in training battles at a gym you're affiliated with in order to raise its "prestige" which is sort of like the gym's HP.

My guess is that you're right, you encountered a weird issue where you were trying to start a training battle while the gym was taken over.

Ah alright, discard my other post then please and thanks! :) 

Is there anything to know about powering up? Only just noticed it. Should I just be powering up the good ones?

And is it true that if you save a Google maps area offline it uses less data?

It seems that powering up is best saved for Pokemon not easily found in the wild. Because the average CP of encountered Pokemon is linked to your level, it's a waste of your stardust to power up your Pidgeys and your Ratatas when in a couple of levels you'll be finding better specimens naturally.

I only power up those you can't evolve any further and send the others away for candy, only keeping the highest one of each

Oh god. Work being a Pokestop is silly Been here 15min - 12 balls and 2 eggs so far...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Oh god. Work being a Pokestop is silly Been here 15min - 12 balls and 2 eggs so far...

Yeah I was really hoping work was a Pokestop but alas not. And neither my flat or my work seem to have any spawn points within range. Rip grinding.

I think it's a real shame that pokemon seem to always spawn in set places, though can understand why it works like that. Kind of ruins the illusion a little.

I was working in the town centre yesterday, perfectly positioned within reach of three Pokestops for most of the day. I started that morning with about 30 Pokeballs, I now have over 200, and picked up with about 50 potions and revives each.

Is there a complete list of available items anywhere? I've heard talk of Master Balls, and when you reach level 7 or 8 you start getting Razz Berries, so I'm wondering what else there is.

Whoever mentioned that the eggs probably count towards the number of Pokémon, DOH! That makes so much sense, can't believe we didn't think of that sooner.

Walked my daughter to school this morning. More than half the other parents were looking for pokemon on the way in.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

Walked my daughter to school this morning. More than half the other parents were looking for pokemon on the way in.

"Yeah I'm just doing it for my child!" is an excuse I think I will be trying to master myself.

Oh, they really were though. DADDY!!! GET THE RATTY ONE!!!!!! CATCH IT DAAAAAAADDDDDDDDY!!!!

The pokestops refresh pretty quick then. I have been sat having breakfast by one and have had 4 refreshes while u have been sat here (about 30 mins). Are they all on a 10 refresh or something?

14 minutes ago, deKay said:

Oh, they really were though. DADDY!!! GET THE RATTY ONE!!!!!! CATCH IT DAAAAAAADDDDDDDDY!!!!

I've been driving around my neighbourhood with my son every night after work so we can catch all of the Ostriches and Pig Monkeys :D

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The developers have launched a service/game that within one week surpassed the scale and reach of Twitter and is gunning for Snapchat and Google Maps in terms of usage.

HOW ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO? Nobody has attempted nor achieved a launch like this before. They certainly didn't ask for it considering everything they do has been based upon feedback from Ingress.

I agree with both sides, to be honest. It would have been foolish to prepare for this level of interest - who could have predicted this?

But, at the same time, I've experienced a crash about 50% of the time I've caught a Pokemon, which is genuinely ruining the experience for me. Especially when I lost the Pokemon I had just supposedly caught. Waiting for it to settle down or for numbers to drop shouldn't be an option, as I don't think the masses will give up quite that easily with a brand affiliation this strong.

The app definitely needs better handling of network issues. It shouldn't require the user to restart the app because it couldn't get a response from the server when you catch a Pokemon, or whatever.

Unfortunately everything needs to be done server side; you can blame the Ingress players for this. Everything that will be saved client side will be abused otherwise. So server side trumps client side, even if that means loss of data. GPS spoofing was also insane during the Ingress early days, with people 'travelling' 50 km within 2 minutes or so (you could read this out in the chat logs even).

The bottleneck is simply the connection and this is also why the game is such a battery drain because GPS exclusively doesn't use battery that much. (Besides, WiFi-triangulation take the brunt of that away.) The fact that the game has to blast every bit online and retrieve it, makes it such a drain on battery; your phone's radio is constantly active.

They might eventually find a way of syncing client and server less intensely, but based on my experiences in Ingress, this won't be happening any time soon. Especially in a sequel that was based upon the ruins of another failed project and has been in the oven for a mere 9 months. I think the initial AUS/NZ launch was still meant as an open beta of sorts, but people sharing the APK en masse and creating fake accounts just to get their hands on it, kind of forced their hands into launching the game 'properly'. Really, the internal ramp up for this game must've been insane. (And I can still remember early indications pointed towards a September launch, using summer as a kind of beta period.)

• Upvote 2