rllmuk
rgraves

Pokemon Go

Thought I'd give this another go on my walk to the shop. Even considered popping into a Pokepub and dropping a lure.

Spent 10 minutes outside and failed to connect until I got back to my front door. Even then the GPS failed and I just loaded into an empty map.

I'd like to play it, but I'm not sure I have the patience for this nonsense. Think I might be holding off until they stabilise things. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I gave up this eve after trying for 10 minutes. Hopefully they'll add more servers and things will calm down over the next few weeks.

Do you get any points for My Nintendo dicking about with this? Apologies if already answered, I just got back from the highlands and no phone signal to find out this was live. I could have nailed a Geodude up the Old Man of Storr had I known.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

What are these white circles? Is it other people using the app?:

ef0e515d_o.jpeg

It's glitch where there is a pokemon but he hasn't loaded properly. 

6 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

How do you use lures? 

I just got to level 5, took over a gym then @Sladey19 took the gym right after while using my car charger the cheeky fuck

Tap the white oblong shape on the pokestop and you can attach a lure. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

How do you use lures? 

I just got to level 5, took over a gym then @Sladey19 took the gym right after while using my car charger the cheeky fuck

I was trying to get the gym before you took it so....

Weirdly thouhh there is an app that runs along side with pokemon go and you can chat with other trainers in the area. That does sound a bit sketchy though.

I've been eagerly awaiting the release since US availability and having spent some of today playing I don't know whether to start with the good or the bad. So on a coin flip here's the good first.

I've been playing it pretty every free moment I've had today. I walked around town at lunch getting me away from work for an hour of down time I don't normally get. I walked the 2.5 miles home enjoying the weather and grabbing a few new 'mons for my collection rather than paying to be cramped on a bus. I went out after dinner and walked around the lake, claiming enough gym prestige to leave one of my precious (read bag filling) Drowzee's in place.

This simple, almost completely game-less, game made me, a fat lazy man who does literally no exercise on a weekly basis, walk 7km today. I'm not sure I'll do the same tomorrow but I'm sure it'll be more than I normally do. If I never play it again in a week it's still been good.

But...

It's a broken buggy mess! The developers (i.e. the people, not the company) should be embarressed (whilst swimming in your money pit I suspect).

Maybe it's the gym battles that sum it up best when the massive "Go" expands to fill the screen and rather than the fight actually starting you end up tapping frantically on the opposition through the cleavage of the G and O whilst nothing happens.

Not enough servers for everyone to login is one thing. Slow responses is another. Occasional outright crashes across different hardware specs might even be acceptable on day one.

But these aren't its problems. Rather when anything network-y is slow the app just gives up. No time outs. No ability to revert to a previous screen. Just a spinning ball. It's like using an older Mac and watching the f'ing beach ball of doom.

Maybe all that would be okay if this was some offline game being ported to have online features. But it's a bloody mobile game through and through. Dodgy connections are par for the course. Mobile and web app developers not building with LieFi in mind from day one is inexcusable. At every step their thought must be "what should happen in the app if we get no response from the server here".

As I alluded to above there's next to no game here and that's okay. It's a cultural phenomenon at the moment and it's fun. I'm addicted today. I'll probably still be addicted tomorrow or Saturday. I might be playing occasionally in a week. I'll unlikely still be bothering in two weeks. It will be interesting to see what they can do to keep their hooks in me*.

* One of them will have to be ensuring the app doesn't need restarting every few minutes because I dared to do... well... anything in it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It really is just load on the servers. 

I weny for a nihght walk around 11 tonight, when things would be quieter and caught 4 without any crashes at all. 

It just needs a bunch of curious and casual people to drop off over the next few days. 

My boy is already begging me to take him out for a pokewalk tomorrow night. 

1 hour ago, sdmilne said:

Being tragically impressionable, I need to get a Pokemon game on 3ds now!  Is there one generally regarded to be the best?

I did the same! I got Pokémon X for 3ds. 

I got a download code for it onine for 26 quid. From here:

https://www.gamesrocket.com

• Upvote 2

Just caught a Gastly. Yup, still awake. It's really shit though, just CP10.

Also for those with battery issues, obviously due to keeping the screen on all the time - just download Wakey

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doublep.wakey

it will keep the screen on (and thus game) but crucially switch off the backlight - so it will save a lot more power than the battery saver mode in the game.

I haven't found any indoors at all and to be honest there haven't been that many in the wild either. About an hour of play and I've encountered 4 and captured one.

Plenty of gyms and pokestops though.

Stupid Jynx made me use 10 balls before I could catch it !!

Will need to spend my lunch time camped out near a pokestop

I think the game experience is heavily reliant on your phone. My best friend has a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini and she can't get the game to run properly. She spent days on it and only ever got one tiny pidgey. Pokémon would frequently show up invisible and impossible to catch, if any showed up at all. Her GPS wasn't tracking properly. Millions of bugs and problems, she uninstalled it now as it was too frustrating. Meanwhile I'm on the newer s5 neo, and I have encountered almost no problems at all. I've collected a gazillion Pokémon, I had a few crashes here and there but not so many that I'd get really frustrated about it.

If this was a ploy to get millions of people to upgrade their phones, then I guess it would work. 

3 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Just caught a Gastly. Yup, still awake. It's really shit though, just CP10.

Also for those with battery issues, obviously due to keeping the screen on all the time - just download Wakey

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doublep.wakey

it will keep the screen on (and thus game) but crucially switch off the backlight - so it will save a lot more power than the battery saver mode in the game.

I've tried this, the 'cpu only / screen off'  setting does nothing. :(

15 minutes ago, dood said:

I've tried this, the 'cpu only / screen off'  setting does nothing. :(

try Fully Dim, and Dim when idle

Has the same effect, to shut off that backlight. Also make sure it's active (you have to tap on the bulb before it starts). Silly mistake I made the first time.

Illyria, I'm using a Wileyfox Swift, a budget priced phone. Works perfectly (other than server side issues).

Even if it's budget, is it relatively new though? Either way, it was just a theory, since most people I've encountered who had problems had phones that were several years old.

I don't think it's the screen that drains the most battery. The game is constantly using GPS and data when you're out and about. As anyone who has ever used a sat nav on their phone will know, it's the sort of app that will drain a battery quickest. Until better GPS and roaming technology develops it's always going to be the sort of app that is a battery killer. 

17 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The developers have launched a service/game that within one week surpassed the scale and reach of Twitter and is gunning for Snapchat and Google Maps in terms of usage.

HOW ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO? Nobody has attempted nor achieved a launch like this before. They certainly didn't ask for it considering everything they do has been based upon feedback from Ingress.

This is as insane a thing to say as a new MMO launching and demanding it's up to the same bloody level as World of Warcraft after 10 years development and polish at launch. The fact that the game runs at all is a small miracle. Embarrassed? The devoplers should be getting a platinum medal for even putting up with entitled little critters that don't get just how difficult it is to properly scale an online service at this level!

To be clear, as per other points in my post my issue is not server slowness or inability to log in. Hell I wouldn't mind if it didn't work at all but it should tell me the user "I was unable to talk to the server". It should retry 'n' times and then give up or even fall back to the loading/logging in screen.

It's a mobile game. It will have connectivity issues even when the servers are okay so the idea that you've not coded a fallback in the local app to handle this is poor. I'm not asking that I always get my new Pokemon when it cannot connect as the ball snaps shut or that I get my pokeballs back* I'd simply like to not have to constantly reboot the thing.

We shouldn't let developers slide on these things because they can be better. Look of course embarrassed might be a little over the top but it's not impressive for a team for whom this is not their first online connected ARG (and before I get it in the neck again, I know this has more players, in talking about client implementation. It server).

* although some of this this seems technically possible with some form of hash of the time/location/event that the local app believes occurred sent to the server so that it can replay (but of course this isn't easy to do securely)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1