Pokemon Go

rgraves

11 hours ago, Freeman said:

No sympathy.  Level 37, 16,878 Pokemon caught, only 1 shiny, and it's a Magicrap (IV 30 something, CP 60 something)

One of my local players is level 40, over 36k 'mon, never had a shiny at all.  

I’m TL40, caught 32,000 but only have 2 shiny pokemon, Sableye & Pikachu. 

Put some major time into the last events too. :(

7 hours ago, Freeman said:

This Sat - 24th from 10am until 1pm

Increase Dratini spawns.

Special move if you manage to evolve a Dragonite during the event (unclear if that's one caught during the event, or actual evolve during the event I think)

3 hour lures

3x stardust

Assumed new shiny Dratini since there was a Pikachu one at the last event.

Sweet as a nut, I've been walking a Dratini for what seems like a lifetime, ready to evolve all the way, I ned to be reminded of this or I am going to be spewing :P

I have 40 candy already and a few decent Dratini.

A pair with IV 93% with 15/13/14 and 15/15/12.

A 3rd which is a 91%, and a Dragonair at 85%

Pretty sure they are all egg hatches as they all seem to be level 20.

So 15 or so pinap catches, from what I gather in the Pikachu event, that wasn't too hard, so fingers crossed.  

I have a stock of 100+ pinaps and ultra balls anyway!

Not downloading that new iOS update just in case...

I'm well prepared for the event in the game (9 incense, 8 star piece, 183 ultra balls and 120 great, 7 lure modules, 190 pinap, 324 golden razz) for any eventuality. I also have about 150 open pokemon storage slots. However, my biggest blocker is going to be battery for my phone. In cold weather, a full charge lasts about an hour so i'll have to hope that my power bank will keep me going for the full duration. We have an excellent spot that spawns a lot of pokemon, has 4 stops within close proximity, a gym and is an open, quiet public area with benches. So I intend to lure it up, drop incense and star pieces and also use the skip catch animation technique.

During the pikachu event, more pokemon spawned than my go+ could catch. The skip animation technique is quicker than go+ and more reliable. I worked out that for a silver dragon badge holder (which I am), the general approach to maximise candy, should be:

cp<250: pinap, curve, great ball

cp<500, >250: pinap, curve, ultra ball

cp<700, >500: golden razz, curve, great ball

cp>700: golden razz, curve, ultra ball.

Those combos will give between an 80% and 90% first throw catch rate, which i think will be the optimum. If dratini are as prolific as pikachu were, I will first ball throw and animation skip and never go back unless it is 700+cp (weather boosted) or potentially 100IV (calcyIV has just included an tool to check this on the encounter screen).

Best case scenario I should be able to generate enough candy for about 6 or 7 level 30-35 dragonite, or more likely, 2 or 3 level 40s.

I'm hoping for windy conditions for at least 1 hour but right now the weather prediction is more like clear or partly cloudy.

1 hour ago, superstarbeejay said:

The skip animation technique is quicker than go+ and more reliable

Wait, the what!?

OK, I googled it...

Don't release your left thumb from the screen.

Swipe ball menu with left thumb, but do not lift off screen. Menu will not appear

Throw ball as normal, with left thumb still on screen.

When pokemon is in ball, remove left thumb (Menu appears)

Tap screen, hit leave button

As a lefty, it sounds horrible, but I guess may also work with the berry menu.  I might give it a shot if I remember...

22 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Wait, the what!?

OK, I googled it...

Don't release your left thumb from the screen.

Swipe ball menu with left thumb, but do not lift off screen. Menu will not appear

Throw ball as normal, with left thumb still on screen.

When pokemon is in ball, remove left thumb (Menu appears)

Tap screen, hit leave button

As a lefty, it sounds horrible, but I guess may also work with the berry menu.  I might give it a shot if I remember...

Worth trying with the berry menu. It is really easy to do and much, much quicker. I swipe to the left with the thumb of my left hand. Then keep it held down and do a normal curve ball with my right hand index finger. Soon as the ball hits I take all fingers off the screen and double tap in the top left corner to quit out.

2 hours ago, superstarbeejay said:

Worth trying with the berry menu. It is really easy to do and much, much quicker. I swipe to the left with the thumb of my left hand. Then keep it held down and do a normal curve ball with my right hand index finger. Soon as the ball hits I take all fingers off the screen and double tap in the top left corner to quit out.

Tried it on the way home from work. Simple enough, as you suggest, using the berry menu. It is much quicker, nice find. 

I've been practising the animation skip technique today, easy to pull off and have had a good catch rate from it too. 

Not as stocked up as I'd like to be tomorrow- only currently have 10 Pinap, 40 Golden, 70 Pokeballs, 50 great and 90 ultra. But where I'm going is heaving with Pokestops  (10 and a silver gym on a 10 minute round-trip with a further 10 stops/3 gyms on the longer route) so don't think I'll run out of items. 

Have my portable charger so should be good for a while. 

Biggest fear is if it rains. The slightest hint of a rain drop on my phone screen causes it to spazz the fuck out which makes the game unplayable. 

Two more needed for the silver dragon badge, so that’s something at least. 

And obviously loads of candy, so I can evolve a high CP one which is ‘OK’ now & then have enough if an amaze / wow one turns up in the future. 

EDIT

A shiny one appeared, only 191CP but that’s my first shiny of any kind so still very nice. 

Only caught 70 in total - wasted 30 mins walking the long way into town thinking I'd find more Dratini that way but didn't encounter any during the period. Also just realised I never used any incense :doh:

Best of the day was an 89. With a couple of 87s too. Caught two shineys but they were shite (57 and 59), evolved the former as it had higher CP to get a green Dragonite. My first shineys. 

Was a good event and day. Started with a Swablu raid this morning and it's rated 92 so a frontrunner to evolve. Also hatched a 98 rated Tyrogue - looks to be heading to another Hitmonlee though when I still need a Hitmontop, caught a couple of Beldums  (one 84%) and collected 4 10k eggs. Stardust is at 280,000 ish, started the day around 140,000 so not bad there. 

Got my gold dragon badge (caught about 120 in total), a load of rubbish shinies and a couple of mid 90s dragonites with Draco Meteor. Sophie caught a mid 90s shiny

we did a couple of legendary raids, swapped phones with the kid so she’d have a better chance of getting one. I failed miserably and she caught a kyogre for my account. Poor unclework...

4 hours ago, MrPogo said:

My second catch was an 85% shiny, and have enough candy to evolve all the way from 30 minutes using incense :D

Although now I've powered him up it does kinda suck I didn't have more time to spend catching them, cos he'd easily be my most powerful Pokemon if I wasn't out of candies with about a twelth of his arc left :( 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A7Ydp451YYtnQV9o2

Final tally was 123 caught (not bad considering I wasn't catching for the first 30 mins and the last 20 mins. Only 3 fled. Made just over 750 candy. Caught 7 shiny, one of which was 96%. Also caught several level 35s and 2 98%. Made about 140k stardust. I evolved 2 during the event to get Draco Meteor and then one of the 98s just now.

The 98 and the shiny 96 cost me a lot of candy and dust to power up but I already have 4 high level dragonite so none of the other candidates would have made the top 4 slots.

My dragonite team looks like this now:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/orz67jYuQzuTKAkX2

Also got my gold dragon badge with my last catch of the event.