rllmuk
rgraves

Pokemon Go

I'm loving the amount of pokestops that are minor landmarks I never knew existed.  All these things I've never seen in a city I've lived all my life!

• Upvote 3

This morning I've caught a...

Machop

Shellder

Squirtle

Pidgeotto

Seel

Staryu

Paras

Abra

Krabby

(along with some boring spearows, rattatas and pidgeys)

All from a 20 minute dog walk and my hours walk to work 8-)

I got so excited when I saw Pidgeotto, he looked massive on the map!  I stopped in the middle of the street staring at it then fist pumped when I got it :lol: A grown man :blush:

• Upvote 2

I haven't been able to forcibly replicate the frozen Pokeball, but I strongly suspect it is based on server desync. It pretty much always happens to me when I try to greedily catch something that I know I'm already out of range for on my bus journey. As well as multiple captures of an Eevee last night, where I knew where to walk to but the GPS kept on putting it in range for me. Technically, this might be exploitable, by the way. It seems that the capture chance goes to 50% when you have the freeze. So, if there is a high-CP rare bugger nearby, you may want to get in range, and then walk far enough away with it still on-screen. You turn the war of attrition into a coin toss.

This is just theorymonning, though. I haven't forcibly caused a freeze yet.

Downloaded, installed, tried 3 times to make an account, caught a Charmander on my work desk (assuming that's a intro bonus and I'm just not that lucky)

Now have to work :(

Turned off AR and it's stopped killing my phone, but it still runs like Stephen Hawking. Not to mention it heats up my phone more than anything else I've ever done on it and it drained 10% battery in 10 minutes. Guess I'll try it in 6 months again when they've perhaps optimised it properly.

Guess everyone who's experiencing no issues are on top end phones. On a Moto G2, forget it.

The more I play this, the more I realise we're playing a real world Pokemon. Everything is a bit like the games. Some would be Pokemon master goes out to look for Pokemon, meeting other trainers on the way, creating a story with friends and rivals. That's what's happening in real life.

All we need now is an update to include trainer battles, with a large speech bubble with an exclamation mark filling the screen every time we walk past a trainer to start a battle. That would be great.

• Upvote 1

You can 'battle' at Gyms, but fucking hell it's terrible.  Collecting is the game, basically. 

• Upvote 1

Just saw this on BBC News (!) which I didn't know - If you throw a Pokeball and miss, tap it before it disappears to pick it up again.

It does seem pointless reviewing this as though it's a regular game. It's a social experience more than anything. Wandering around Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester yesterday, there must have been 30 or 40 people sat around the middle, all playing it together, and the 'game' wasn't even out.

I can see Disney, Lego and other brands jumping on the 'AR map' bandwagon, like they did with Skylanders. This will be huge.

9 minutes ago, Sng said:

Just saw this on BBC News (!) which I didn't know - If you throw a Pokeball and miss, tap it before it disappears to pick it up again.

Yep very useful, all tips in the 1st post.

Team Mystic is clearly the best right? I mean they're blue

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Yessss, join my teaaaaam! 

5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

5 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Yessss, join my teaaaaam! 

Instinct or GTFO!

Also in German the Blue Team can be translated as Team Wisdom, which is so much cooler than Mystic 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Instinct or GTFO!

Team Extinct more like 

• Upvote 1

Just before I potentially cause my 7 year old son to put himself up for adoption, can anyone confirm that all game save and profile is cloud based and if I uninstall the US version and update to UK, it'll keep all his progress?

• Upvote 2

Is there any point in collecting every common Pokemon you see?  Are you supposed to for the candy stuff?

This game is confusing me a bit... 

6 minutes ago, Professor_k said:

Is there any point in collecting every common Pokemon you see?  Are you supposed to for the candy stuff?

This game is confusing me a bit... 

Yep. If you transfer them you'll get candy. Also you can save them to evolve them later for that sweet exp. Catch everything. Catch anything. Don't stop catching. Catching.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, John0 said:

Yep. If you transfer them you'll get candy. Catch everything. Catch anything. Don't stop catching. Catching.

Transfer them to what?  Am I supposed to be storing them somewhere to make space? Sorry I'm a proper mong :lol:

14 minutes ago, Paulando said:

It does seem pointless reviewing this as though it's a regular game. It's a social experience more than anything. Wandering around Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester yesterday, there must have been 30 or 40 people sat around the middle, all playing it together, and the 'game' wasn't even out.

I can see Disney, Lego and other brands jumping on the 'AR map' bandwagon, like they did with Skylanders. This will be huge.

I don't think AR is the main draw with this tho, it's Pokemon dude. Gotta catch em all! :)

It will be interesting tho seeing (and crying) at the millions of pounds that will be sunk by companies into trying to develop copycat apps. And failing.

People will forget that Go is the culmination of carefully nurturing a brand for 20 years, along with catching the zeitgeist (luck!) of course.

15 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Just before I potentially cause my 7 year old son to put himself up for adoption, can anyone confirm that all game save and profile is cloud based and if I uninstall the US version and update to UK, it'll keep all his progress?

I expect you'll be fine. I started playing last weekend on an Android with an APK from apkmirror. Today I installed the legit UK version on my iPhone and all my progress was intact even though it's an entirely separate device. Totally cloud-based.

I'm using a Google account rather than a Pokémon account, in case that makes a difference. Can't see that it would.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Professor_k said:

Transfer them to what?  Am I supposed to be storing them somewhere to make space? Sorry I'm a proper mong :lol:

You transfer them to the professor. If you view your Pokemon list, tap a Pokemon, then scroll down you'll see a transfer button. It's irreversible though, so only transfer stuff you know you don't want.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Yes worked for me. I'm on iOS

• Upvote 1