rllmuk
rgraves

Pokemon Go

I think something messed up when the app installed. I'm always having to sign in again and I don't get any of the vibrations or anything letting me know there's a pokemon nearby. Is that normal?

7 minutes ago, freezycold said:

I think something messed up when the app installed. I'm always having to sign in again and I don't get any of the vibrations or anything letting me know there's a pokemon nearby. Is that normal?

They fixed the sign in bug in the latest update, and the only way to get notifications for nearby Pokemon is with the ridiculous-looking Pokeball smartwatch thing.

It's very buggy, I've had few freezes this evening & the pokemon count shows me with eight more pokemon than I actually have, more servers & patches will hopefully fix it soon.

How do I get the updated version on iOS? I used an apk link before, but obviously I can't update the app as its not on the uk App Store. Any advice? 

L10 before my little trip out tonight. Stacked up 7 evolutions ready to go, then used a lucky egg and rinsed through them all. Netted 12k exp, then went to closest gym (only L2) and took that leaving a 406CP Vaporeon behind. 

In in two gyms now so claimed a massive 20 coins. 

Enjoying it, but oh such crashes.  

45 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

We live in an age now where literally, stripped down to the bare bones clicker games are popular. I'll let that sink a bit..

I agree with the criticisms of this game in particular from what I've seen. But we also live in an age where Dark Souls is really popular, where there mega hype for No Man's Sky. Rocket League has taken off (ho ho) big time. Hearthstone is booming. There are dota (and LoL?) tournaments with millions of dollars in prize money. I don't think you can just look at the popularly of a certain type of game and then insinuate that gaming's in this terrible place. There's room for all of this kind of stuff.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

How do I get the updated version on iOS? I used an apk link before, but obviously I can't update the app as its not on the uk App Store. Any advice? 

Download it using a US iTunes account.

I usually loathe the weekly shop but today I got 12 !! Pokemon including

image.png

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, John0 said:

I don't think you can just look at the popularly of a certain type of game and then insinuate that gaming's in this terrible place. There's room for all of this kind of stuff.

I wasn't insinuating that at all or at least I didn't mean to. I'm simply saying that mobile games, foremost those which capture mainstream acceptance, are invariably quite basic and simple. Like I said, I think Pokemon Go hits the mark perfectly and is all the better for it.

• Upvote 2

Well if anything, it's netted Nintendo one sale of Pokémon X. :D starting now! It's my first Pokémon game :blush:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

I wasn't insinuating that at all or at least I didn't mean to. I'm simply saying that mobile games, foremost those which capture mainstream acceptance, are invariably quite basic and simple. Like I said, I think Pokemon Go hits the mark perfectly and is all the better for it.

Ah right fair enough :) I think I misunderstood what you meant by I'll let that sink in a bit.

That said, I can't imagine it's initial popularity being lessened by there being a bit more depth to this. I think people just love running around catching Pokemon, those that are interested would go and find the rest of it if it was there (or if it will be there, I guess). Just like with the originals and the competitive scene and EV training and such.

Someone here mentioned it was officially out in the UK Friday but Google searches reveal no confirmation of that.

Is there any truth in that?

It's the most popular mobile game in US history. NX had better be a phone with Pokemon Go 2 as a launch exclusive...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-14-pokemon-go-is-the-most-popular-mobile-game-in-us-history

Even so, as one of the chumps waiting for the domestic release, how exactly are they going to get money from me? What IAPs will I feel the need to 'catch'? Can I get by without them and truly play this greatest game of all time and social phenomenon for free? Genuine question because I don't know.

Nah the NX will allow you to do things with your Pokemon you can't do on your phone so it will be an instant sellout.

28 minutes ago, DC07 said:

It's the most popular mobile game in US history. NX had better be a phone with Pokemon Go 2 as a launch exclusive...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-14-pokemon-go-is-the-most-popular-mobile-game-in-us-history

Even so, as one of the chumps waiting for the domestic release, how exactly are they going to get money from me? What IAPs will I feel the need to 'catch'? Can I get by without them and truly play this greatest game of all time and social phenomenon for free? Genuine question because I don't know.

It's pretty standard, you use things called 'pokecoins' to buy items like potions, pokeballs, lures, etc. 

You don't 'need' these items but things will be very slow to progress if you don't.  You earn a few items when you level up your man, but they're a bit stingy. 

You can earn pokecoins in game by stationing your pokemon as a boss at a gym, a paltry 10 coins per pokemon at a gym per day. 

20 pokeballs is 100 coins.  A single use, 30 minute lure costs 100 coins.  

100 coins costs 79p. 

• Upvote 1

I can't buy anything. Try to buy coins on iOS & it gives me some shit about I need to download it on the Apple ID I'm using. mf's. 

Better release soon. :) 

11 hours ago, freezycold said:

I have my game set to notify me of pokemon appearing by sound and vibration, although I feel like the sound doesn't always work if my phone's sound is off when the app starts. I keep pokemon go in the foreground and with battery saving mode the screen goes black whilst the phone is upside down. I take it out of my pocket to catch pokemon or at pokestops. 

Had two freezes when meeting and catching new pokemon now. One was out and about on a flakey connection, the other was at home on the WiFi. 

My Dad was just watching the BBC Breakfast piece on this, obviously centered entirely around the dangers it brings. I got told to watch out for traffic when running about on the roads. I'm 32.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I have my game set to notify me of pokemon appearing by sound and vibration, although I feel like the sound doesn't always work if my phone's sound is off when the app starts. I keep pokemon go in the foreground and with battery saving mode the screen goes black whilst the phone is upside down. I take it out of my pocket to catch pokemon or at pokestops. 

Had two freezes when meeting and catching new pokemon now. One was out and about on a flakey connection, the other was at home on the WiFi. 

I found the game becomes unresponsive a LOT if I use the battery saver mode.  As in, the game is still running and will track me if I move, but I can't interact, it's like the touch screen isn't enabled. 

The sound frequently breaks.  Say, if I receive a text message while playing. 

It hangs a lot after catching a pokemon. 

It takes forever to enter battles at the gyms, sometimes my mons have died before I even get to see the fight.  Or they are invisible and I can't tell if I'm attacking or not. 

It gets really laggy and weird when connection is flakey, worst part is it somehow buffers all of your inputs which means I've accidentally evolved / upgraded pokemon. 

In short it's a fucking shambles, technically. 

But I love catching them!!! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Someone here mentioned it was officially out in the UK Friday but Google searches reveal no confirmation of that.

Is there any truth in that?

Nothing confirmed, just hope & dreams.

6 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

UK RELEASE! In both App Store and Play Store.

Pokemon GOGOGO!

Yeah app updated fine as well from the sideloaded version.

I might turn the babttery saving mode back off cos ive had loads of errors the past 16 hours or so.

edit: weird it was of already.

:omg::omg::omg:

Someone change the thread title maybe? To reflect this momentous event.

I made a small detour last night, driving around my the suburb where my parents live, to see if I could find a gym to take over. Some level 15 crazy person had already claimed the half-dozen in the local area, all but one with level 500+ pokemon guarding them. The one had a level 15 Pidgey, so for at least one day, I'm currently guardian of the Earlsdon High Street Post Office Gym!