rgraves

Pokemon Go

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

How do you work put the IVs. I saw a calculator online but where do you get the stats from, cause I don't see where you get attack/defence etc from. Or is that what the zen headbutt/hyper beam are? How do you know which is which?

I'm not sure how it works, it just crunches the numbers using your level, its level, its CP and its HP. But thinking about it yeah, I guess it probably does use the attacks too. Those are the two strongest ones, I checked online. 

25 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Damn, just drove past this gym.. Crazy!! 

Screenshot_20160729-083740.png

I saw saw this one last night. 1st position was a Flareon, then an Arcanine, then another Gary also over 2000!

image.png

Arse; During a server error, the sign out and retry connection buttons were on top of each other, and I accidentally signed out. Now I can't get back in, and can't request a new password as every device and every connection I use on the PTC site has "tried too many attempts, and is now locked out", even on its first try. Am I right, though, in saying the one you use to sign in is actually different from your 'trainer name' that appears in gyms etc?

Edit: Ah, there we go. Finally. After a really long trek. <_< 

• Upvote 1

Passed this gym on the way to work this morning:

Screenshot_20160729-075859.png

Not seen level 9 yet! Almost everything else around here changes hands almost hourly, so this must have taken some coordination. The pub had a poster stuck square in the middle of their front window, reminding Pokemon trainers that this was also a place of business, and requested those using the tables out front buy a drink. Must be a gang of Reds nearby.

That seriously makes me wanna take a trip down the A12 to Stratford....

By the way, could we get all maps and links pinned to the first post somehow please? I was trawling through a ton of pages last night trying to find something whilst there were Pokemon spawning!

Me and partner battled a level 4 gym last night and beat it. Usually we lose em again within a minute but this time nobody was there to take it back. Walked back home and couldn't stop checking in on it every 5mins. We had it for just over a hour! Shame that doesn't give you more rewards (we collected straight away), perhaps every hour could result in 500XP or something? The 21 hour clock thing counts down to the same reward being available right? Has ANYONE here managed to hold onto a gym for that long?!

Not joking, 3 eggs hatched at the same time. Catapie, ratatat and a bloomin bat.

26 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Me and partner battled a level 4 gym last night and beat it. Usually we lose em again within a minute but this time nobody was there to take it back. Walked back home and couldn't stop checking in on it every 5mins. We had it for just over a hour! Shame that doesn't give you more rewards (we collected straight away), perhaps every hour could result in 500XP or something? The 21 hour clock thing counts down to the same reward being available right? Has ANYONE here managed to hold onto a gym for that long?!

Not joking, 3 eggs hatched at the same time. Catapie, ratatat and a bloomin bat.

I've held 2 gyms near me for almost a week now. Although I lost one this morning, just before collection time. :( 

58 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

By the way, could we get all maps and links pinned to the first post somehow please? I was trawling through a ton of pages last night trying to find something whilst there were Pokemon spawning!

I've added the three I most use to the 1st post, let me know of any others?

49 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I live in a small market town in Bucks with 2 gyms. Me, my son and daughter and my nephew are all team red so we co-ordinated a push on both on Wednesday evening at 9pm. One fell overnight last night after a hold of about 30hrs and the other is still ours now. There are a few gyms in small nearby villages that I suspect would be easy for us to hold for longer as we are all around levels 16-19. Hope to take 3 or 4 in one evening over the next week or so to see how long we last.

• Upvote 1

Pfft! You think the bullies in your town are tough - check out this asshole camped on my local. And I thought at level 21 I was starting to get competitive :(

Spoiler
Spoiler

Yes he is on my team, but hey -  leave some for the rest of us!

image.png

• Upvote 1

You guys don't know what a locked down gym is! This is the closest gym to my work, been like this all week, even if yesterday it was actually level 10! The lowest CP on this gym is a 1116 Vaporeon...

image.png

• Upvote 1

Good to see so many Team Valor owned gyms with their powerhouse Pokemon. 8-)

The 3 gyms in my team are all currently red thanks solely to one level 22 trainer. I hope to provide him some support when I level up some more. 

I've given up on trying to take on gym battles everything around me is now levl 7+ with each player a lvl 20+ with a 1000+ pokemon.

I'll just stick to catching them all for now.

Spotted an open slot at one of the gyms, legged it over there and have put my best 'mon (only a CP 300 Golbat) in. Won't last long but got my fist 10 coins.

Also hatched the 2 5k eggs I had, crappy Staryu and crappy Poliwag were all I got. 

That's pushed me to level 9 so now have a lucky egg and a decent amount of Pokemon to evolve. 

• Upvote 1

I think good points to mass evolve with lucky eggs are Level 9-10 and Level 18. Level 9-10 to push you up to 12 to get Great Balls (and you won't really have enough to evolve to make the lucky egg worth it before that) and Level 18 to push you to 20 to get Ultra Balls.

• Upvote 1

I just looked up what levels you get lucky eggs at. By far my favourite discovery was that for hitting level 40, ie. The Level Cap, you get given 4 lucky eggs. They're bastards.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

I just looked up what levels you get lucky eggs at. By far my favourite discovery was that for hitting level 40, ie. The Level Cap, you get given 4 lucky eggs. They're bastards.

It's just very very very rushed isn't it, I think. The app has maybe one glaring development issue (UI hanging whilst waiting for a server response... in 2016!) but other than that I think all of the problems are basically because they wanted to get it out of the door as quickly as possible. Every decision like this one just screams 0 thought going into it, to me. Level cap? Not worth putting any time into it because the vast majority of players will never get there. Just shove anything in. Doesn't matter.

7 minutes ago, John0 said:

It's just very very very rushed isn't it, I think. The app has maybe one glaring development issue (UI hanging whilst waiting for a server response... in 2016!) but other than that I think all of the problems are basically because they wanted to get it out of the door as quickly as possible. Every decision like this one just screams 0 thought going into it, to me. Level cap? Not worth putting any time into it because the vast majority of players will never get there. Just shove anything in. Doesn't matter.

Yeah, I think the levelling curve is pretty screwed after level 20, mainly just to prevent people getting to the level cap. It's incredible to me that the difficulty of catching pokemons and the gaps between levels increase exponentially, but yet the amount of EXP you gain from catching things never does. The game essentially prices you out of the levelling market once it becomes too great a distance between levels, and for no real reward anyway, post level 30.

So I've stopped power levelling since hitting 20, and now I'm just concentrating on catching new mons, rather than endlessly grinding Rattata and Pidgeys. I'm also only catching stuff I actually need for evolutions now. Not bothered with powering up Pokemon now, the gym rewards are too slight for too much effort.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

So I've stopped power levelling since hitting 20, and now I'm just concentrating on catching new mons, rather than endlessly grinding Rattata and Pidgeys. I'm also only catching stuff I actually need for evolutions now. Not bothered with powering up Pokemon now, the gym rewards are too slight for too much effort.  

Yeah same. I'm much less bothered by my level now I've got Ultra Balls. Still really enjoying all the catching and hunting. And I've set a specific goal of powering up and evolving my Rhyhorn (now called Rhyanna). Met a guy who just really wanted a Gengar earlier in the week. I like the idea that people are setting their own goals and just having fun with it, rather than only power levelling and collecting Vaporeons.

I really think challenging people to battles should come before trading, personally. How much it would ape the original games, walking round and challenging people, would be magic.

• Upvote 2

Or failing that, CP or Level caps on certain gyms would be good. Mass multiplayer games are only fun if you can easily find people on your level to compete against. As it is at the moment the whole battling system (which isn't all that, I realise, but still) is completely out of most players reach.

Again, no thought, no planning, rushed design decisions all over the place.