rgraves

Pokemon Go

Yeah Ealing seems to have one of each, there's one raid group that always use private parties and seem to have a Fight Club approach to the whole thing.

The other ones are lovely people and while I'm not in the group, just one of my workmates is they've never had a problem with me rocking up for a legendary raid with him.

It's the community that keeps me going. Meeting up with new friends throughout the day makes me want to go to each raid. Even though I need nothing there really.

We've had to cull our group a few times due to the 256 WhatsApp limit. Kicking people who haven't spoken the longest (like months). We send them a message to say why and that if they want back to message us.

But we're biting the bullet and moving to telegram from tomorrow. With a 5000 member limit we should be good :)

Started playing this a few weeks ago and I have what seem like ridiculously hard quests/research for a new player coming out the whazoo. Didn't even think to check for a rllmuk thread! Gone through and added a bunch of you from the spreadsheet as friends, which is one obstacle down. Thanks in advance for accepting the friends requests!

I am karlmarxbeard (3880 0007 6618) for those wondering who the random friend request is from.

Good luck man! It's a great game. Once you get the hang of it there's nothing too tough about it. Some shit I wish I'd known when I started playing:

- Use your raid pass every day if you can. You can actually do two free raids a day - the free pass carries over if you don't use it and then if you complete a raid the following day you'll get another, but you can only average out at one a day using the free passes. Great source of items, exp, and decent levelled pokémon with good stats. 

- Sort of on the same point, don't throw away stardust powering stuff up trying to beat bosses. At a low level, the 'mon you'll encounter will have a level cap that's two higher than you (out of a maximum of 40 - for example, if you're level 20, you can only encounter up to a level 22). Don't worry, any tier one raid is pretty trivial, as are most tier 2s. If you're not sure on a raid, have a quick Google. Pretty soon you'll get a feel for your best pokémon, there's quite a narrow selection of stuff that's worth powering and stardust is a big bottleneck. 

- Throw curveballs. Like, every single ball. It's a pain in the ass to start off with but after a week it becomes second nature and the capture rate is stupidly higher than a straight ball (a curved, normal pokeball has a 1.7x catch multiplier. A straight great ball has 1.5x). Throw curveballs. Throw curveballs throw curveballs throw curveballs. 

- Don't just randomly use lucky eggs/incense/lures because you're bored. Lucky eggs especially are hard to come by and the biggest gain from them is as a friendship level increase - you can net an EXTRA 50,000 experience if you use a lucky egg before coming ultra friends with someone, for a total of 100000. 

- If you want to do tier 4-5 raids (strong and legendary pokémon), you'll have to get involved with the local community. If you're interested in that, most places have a Facebook group you can initially use for organisation. 

Apart from that, fuck off all the advice I've just spewed and have fun. Wonderful little game :)

• Upvote 1

I am slowly getting the hang of curveballs. Still constantly miss them against smaller Pokemon though.

My main goal was to replicate when I was 11 and was super proud of my Level 100 Charizard. Haven't come across a single Charmander since I started and managed to get a grand total of 3 candies from walking with it so far. Any advice for that other than try and find somewhere Charmander spawns a lot?

Not really. If you keep playing you'll come across them eventually, Niantic tend to run a lot of events with higher spawn rates for stuff. Charmander community day was a couple of months ago unfortunately so you missed out there. 

Charmander (actially, all starter pokémon from all gens) don't spawn an awful lot, they're not the rarest but enough to make me raise my eyebrows when I see them. They will have an increased spawn chance in clear weather though, like all fire types. 

If you're desperate you could have a look on TheSilphRoad, they have live maps of the current "nests" (high spawn areas for a certain mon) but again it's down to luck of the draw. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

I am slowly getting the hang of curveballs. Still constantly miss them against smaller Pokemon though.

My main goal was to replicate when I was 11 and was super proud of my Level 100 Charizard. Haven't come across a single Charmander since I started and managed to get a grand total of 3 candies from walking with it so far. Any advice for that other than try and find somewhere Charmander spawns a lot?

As Starbreaker mentioned, the Silph Road nest map can be invaluable for finding increased spawns of Pokemon you need more of.

Charmander was a level 1 raid boss until recently but unfortunately has been rotated out for now.

Once you hit level 18 you’ll unlock Pinap Berries, which double the amount of candy you receive when catching Pokemon, which can be a big help.

• Upvote 1

The other bit of advice for starting out is to try and complete one piece of field research a day. That gets you a legendary mon once a week, which is as close as you'll get to a decent raid fighter for the first few weeks. And remember that you can bin off impossible nonsense like "use a super effective charged attack in 7 gym battles" and pick up something else from a different stop.

• Upvote 1

Looks like it's much more common than the last Spina quest as well, got 4 or 5 when I was out. Also a couple of shiny wingulls. Which is a stupid name, like LegDog or something

@Freeman @Tetmon we are about to become ultra on Wednesday (I think?). Tetmon what time GMT would work best for you to coordinate eggs? I'm looking at doing 4 people at once but want to do it around you with the time zone etc.

Thanks for thinking of me, but I'm in the same boat. I work in the afternoon/evening on weds. Plus I don't actually have any lucky eggs or enough coins. So enjoy your gift from me, I'll send a new one by Weds.

got a '5 fire pokemon' quest at the same time I started the 40 Grass/Psychic one. Have since finished the 40, in that time I've had 2 fire, both from encounters. Annoying

My 7th stop spin tomorrow so should get my Celebi shortly as the next set of tasks aren't that difficult. I know they've tried dragging this out with the daily stops but there's not really been a task as challenging as there was during the Mew quests. Hunting for a ditto and 10 ghosts took some effort. 40 grass/psychic seems quite easy in comparison. Was hoping for something like catch 10 Dragon types 

I've seen like one grass type on my travels of late.

Ill visit some parks on my day off tomorrow then all it is after that is the curse of the curve throw LOL

Is Celebi worth having? I mean my Mew never gets used and really makes me question my effort. 

Hey all, like many of you I originally changed my Apple store region to get in on Go before release. Had great fun over that first summer, but I gave up on the game in Oct 2016 (just after buddies, before streaks etc) at Level 27 with 131 in the dex, there were a few more I could get by walking but the gameplay was so thin, it just felt done.

But I’ve been coerced :) back onto the poketreadmill by endless pestering from my young nephew who has his first phone and wants people to trade with! So a week ago I restored the app and jumped back in. And after nearly two years out coming back is brilliant! Having two whole generations (that I never experienced on the Gameboy/DS) to catch meant everywhere I looked were new encounters, and my dex has jumped to 258. And that’s only 67 johto/55 hoenn so still plenty to look for!

Also new candy, new gyms, raids, friends*, quests, alohans.. it is a so much better game it is barely comparable. Plus there’s now a stop and a gym in range of my living room :) It changes hands at 3am so it’s not free money! But it’s good for lazy raids :) 

The downside is all my best Pokemon are hopelessly retro and behind the curve (gyros, vapes, classic exeggcutor). I feel totally outgunned out there!

*Feel free to add me if you want some grotty London landmarks, I’ve already sent a few requests your way: KarminiX 057534406444

All three of those you mentioned barring maybe Vapes are still super relevant (and Vapes is great in gyms and still only 3rd on the water attacker list, Gyarados being second). 

Have you got an iv checker? 

On 31/08/2018 at 07:35, Dudley said:

Yeah Ealing seems to have one of each, there's one raid group that always use private parties and seem to have a Fight Club approach to the whole thing.

The other ones are lovely people and while I'm not in the group, just one of my workmates is they've never had a problem with me rocking up for a legendary raid with him.

I live in Ealing and have started raiding more. I joined the Ealing Whatsapp group and everyone seems fairly normal.

Going to be raiding on Moltres day? There will be a big group starting around Ealing Broadway at 10.

2 hours ago, Starbreaker said:

(and Vapes is great in gyms and still only 3rd on the water attacker list, Gyarados being second). 

Curious what is number 1 on the list? 

Also where does one find such a list?

2 hours ago, Soi said:

I live in Ealing and have started raiding more. I joined the Ealing Whatsapp group and everyone seems fairly normal.

Going to be raiding on Moltres day? There will be a big group starting around Ealing Broadway at 10.

It's a shame I'm leaving my job in Ealing at the end of the month really. :)  If I'm on a raid with them I'll make sure to eye everyone suspiciously.

And there was me thinking I could have an (Inbetweeners voice) "forum friend" for local pokemon...

Where do you work? I could try and say hi before you left!

45 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Curious what is number 1 on the list? 

Number 1 I'd assume is Kyogre but if you don't have one at the moment you'll likely be waiting a while as it's been a Legendary Raid boss 2 or 3 times already. 

4 hours ago, Starbreaker said:

All three of those you mentioned barring maybe Vapes are still super relevant (and Vapes is great in gyms and still only 3rd on the water attacker list, Gyarados being second). 

Have you got an iv checker? 

Yes this time around I’m using pokegenie. My strongest are all old catches:

98 Vape

96 Exegg, Vape

93 Gyro, Jolt, Seadra

91 Gengar, Golem

after that they drop off pretty quickly. Weirdly the game keeps recommending I use a rhydon that rates at 32% and some similar pinsirs - is there a sound logic behind that or are the game recommendations borked?

Also the eggs that had been in cold storage for 22 months all hatched as gen 2/3 Pokemon, I always thought egg contents was set on acquisition but maybe in that time they got wiped...