rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  

Narcos - Season 4 on 16 November

Spoiler re. the first arrest:

Spoiler

Did anyone else see Gilberto give the second DEA agent (the tall dark haired chap) some kind of signal as he was being carted off to jail? At the time I was expecting it to result in some kind of jailbreak or 'in the front door, out the back' situation, and later on I couldn't shake the feeling that he was some kind of deep deep cartel undercover agent, even though it wouldn't have made sense as he wasn't tipping anyone off about the DEA movements.

So what was the gesture they gave each other in the van?

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Spoiler re. the first arrest:

Hide contents

Did anyone else see Gilberto give the second DEA agent (the tall dark haired chap) some kind of signal as he was being carted off to jail? At the time I was expecting it to result in some kind of jailbreak or 'in the front door, out the back' situation, and later on I couldn't shake the feeling that he was some kind of deep deep cartel undercover agent, even though it wouldn't have made sense as he wasn't tipping anyone off about the DEA movements.

So what was the gesture they gave each other in the van?

Took it to be a threat, but it was pretty ambigious.

pointing to the heart as in, we'll shoot you there.

And finished. Fucking amazing stuff.

Spoiler

It irked me in S2 that Murphy appeared to have all the glory regarding Escobar, so seeing Pena take down the Cali cartel, and the government that was in cahoots with them ... fantastically satisfying. Downright fucking delicious. :) 

Bloody hell, that's horrific. Guardian report suggests the fact he was taking photos could have triggered a local gang to get suspicious.

If people thought Escobar and then Cali were crazy, the Juarez cartel will make what's gone before seem pretty tame, but still think there's an important story to be told. Hopefully the show is able to maintain the balance of storytelling and using violence as exclamation points, without veering too much into bloodlust.

I've binge watched all 3 series back to back.  The best Netflix series I've watched thus far - utterly brilliant stuff.

I thought Escobar was just perfectly cast - many similarities to Tony Soprano but somehow he managed to make me feel more pathos for him with the scenes with his family, and was able to portray sheer ruthlessness even more convincingly than the awesome James Gandolfini managed.  No mean feat.

So I was worried how an Escobar-less series would work - I needn't have worried because it's so well produced and the other leads come to the fore superbly.

I will now wait impatiently for more!

Binged season 3 this week and I have to agree, it really was fanatastic and probably the best of the series. Doesn't miss Murphy or Escobar (as much as I really enjoyed their characters).

The last 3 or 4 episodes were ridiculously tense too especially anything with Jorge.

Tread water? The pitiful fall of

Spoiler

Escobar

was utterly captivating for me.

From the

Spoiler

rich, monstrous, yet beloved man of the people, whose jedi-like word would part the way of soldiers hunting him, to the tired, brooding, mess of a man, run out of ideas, with (literally) rotten money, who could drive into town and not get recognised by the people who almost voted him into power a decade before. 

The transformation was brilliant, as was the acting. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jonamok said:

Can’t wait. But I’m going to miss Pedro Pascal:(

Oh no he was the best thing about it. :(

A few details here, not really spoilers but just in case:

The Netflix drug cartel series has added two new stars for its fourth season, Michael Pena and Diego Luna, and will be set in Mexico City to explore the rise of the Guadalajara cartel, the first Mexican drug trafficking group to sync up with the Colombia bosses in the cocaine trade. Though Pena and Luna's roles have not yet been revealed, the move to Mexico signals the end of main character Javier Pena's story — and a phasing out for Narcos leading man Pedro Pascal.

Up until now, the series has been shot entirely in Colombia to track the original cocaine king, Pablo Escobar (played by Wagner Moura), and the successors to his Medellin cartel, Cali. The four Cali cartel bosses were the villains in season three and their deaths and incarcerations brought the Narcos timeline up to the mid-1990s. 

"The origins of the Guadalajara cartel are in the late 1970s and early 1980s, so Narcos is going back in time," showrunner Eric Newman told The Hollywood Reporter about the season four announcement, made on Tuesday.

Yessssss!

Season 3 turned this into on of the best things on Netflix. The first 2 were still great but having to follow the Escobar storyline through constrained it a bit I thought, season 3 was a step up with not knowing what the ultimate outcome would be. Season 4 is gonna be a step up again I hope.

• Upvote 1

I’ve watched the first episode of Mexico and thought it was so far so good. I was a bit worried that, with the ‘reclassification’ as season 1 of a new series it had the whiff of spin-off to it, and also a friend said they felt it wasn’t great, but ‘steady as she goes’ seems to be the order so far.