Narcos - Season 4 on 16 November

It's largely narcobusiness as usual but I'm yet to be convinced by Michael Pena in the lead role after the first couple of episodes.  Early days though - I expect it'll pep up as the character and story develop.

I watched 5 eopisodes of this over the weekend. And whilst I am enjoying it, it does have an enourmous sense of deja vu. Maybe its the subject matter that means this is unavoidable, but all the tropes are in there

eg  being certain of a operation being at a certain location, only to find it being seemingly innocent when you convince the police to help you bust it, leading to conflict with the local police,  or second in command being a loose cannon,

Still a good watch though, but I don't think they will ever top 1 or 3.

Is season 3 a stand alone story line with all new characters and actors like season 4 is?

I watched season 1 when it came out but never continued with season 2. I'd rather jump directly into season 3 if it's a new story.

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Is season 3 a stand alone story line with all new characters and actors like season 4 is?

I watched season 1 when it came out but never continued with season 2. I'd rather jump directly into season 3 if it's a new story.

Season 2 was pretty rubbish to be honest. You don't miss anything by skipping to S3.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've enjoyed it, it does come with the standard tropes but it has enough colourful characters and exciting set pieces to be entertaining. I'm 7 episodes in.

46 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Season 2 was pretty rubbish to be honest. You don't miss anything by skipping to S3.

Apart from learning how the whole Escobar thing - i.e. the plot of the first season - pans out, you miss nothing, no.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

I think season 2 is worth watching, it’s not as good but  If series 1 is the rise , series 2 is the fall . You need both for the whole story .

• Upvote 1

I'm 3 episodes in, have to choose when I watch is as can't always be bothered with the subs

Its well made but does feel quite generic now, I suspect the problem is the source material as the drug tales do all seem to take similar paths and be presented in similar ways (start small, get rich, do mad shit, women simper in background and get 2 lines to say, shoot each other, police catch up and make arrests).

I think what made this so good originally was the Escobar tale, he elevates it beyond the traditional story (and the performance was great too).

Watchable enough and enjoyable.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

I think what made this so good originally was the Escobar tale, he elevates it beyond the traditional story (and the performance was great too).

You said it. Contrary to other opinions I also enjoyed the second season, everything about the character and his portrayal was terrifying. You can taste the fear and respect in the air, every time he’s on screen. 

• Upvote 1

I finished watching this last night. I still find it completely gripping even if it's not really different from what we've already seen, and even if the two lead characters (Felix and Kiki - both good cat names) weren't as interesting as their counterparts in previous seasons. The overall quality of script, acting etc is just exceptional, and I've always liked the way it ties the personal stories into the internationl political situation (although here it would've been good to have more insight into Mexican government corruption, but I guess that info isn't easy to come by).

• Upvote 1

I’ve got 2 to go and found myself getting into it more and more as it went in

gonna spoiler this bit (occurs in ep5)

Spoiler

I hadn’t realised the timelines weren’t sequential, thought this picked up where season 3 left off - very pleasantly surprised by the Columbian cartel top brass on both sides

Who is the short bald tough guy on the DEA side? Only really appears a few times and it's bugging me trying to remember where I've seen him before.

Finished season 4 and not sure what I think, it seems to sell the violence and general nastiness of the cartel very short, the worst people by far are cops and politicians in this, with the criminals portrayed as roguish scamps who stumbled into positions of great wealth and power.

Also the very late change to Felix seems completely unearned.

Its good viewing and slickly made still but I’ve come away disappointed, hopefully season 2 (of Mexico) willmake me change my mind.

Escobars tiny cameo stole the show and reminded me who amazing that performance was in the first two seasons, such presence on screen.

Did the cartel have the current nastiness back then? I thought maybe that delivery scene near the end was the start of them travelling down that path, with it going further over the presumed next season..

That was my interpretation too. I understood the violence progressed via revenge escalation down the years, where each new low becomes the new normal, then to be surpassed in the next act. That's how it's portrayed in the book, Chasing the Scream, anyway. 

Watching this at the moment. It's good but agree with everyone else that the leads aren't as strong as previous seasons.

Episode 7

The attack on the 2 Americans was really unpleasant.

Loved this just like every other series. Felix I thought was almost too nice to be a Cartel boss until his darker side came to the fore in that final act. I did expect

Kiki’s death to be much more violent, didn’t the real Kiki get partially skinned alive and then killed by a drill to the skull?