Narcos - Season 4 on 16 November

Oooohh yes, might well binge it. I fucking loved season 2 more than the first. Will update the thread title.

I thought the first ep was ok, but there a Pablo sized hole it, which I was worried about, will crack on as hope the story may hook me in as don't know where this one goes next.

I seem to be alone in thinking season 2 was an improvement over season 1. I thought the first moved too quickly and had no real interest in the characters, which made the whole rather superficial, while the second season, thanks to its shorter time frame, gave everyone more space to breathe. The main DEA guy was still very boring, of course, but most of the other characters benefited.

I'm three episodes into season 3 and still enjoying it.

I thought that was absolutely great stuff. I don't think it particularly suffered the loss of Escobar, even, as I found the new cartel fascinating and the new long-term characters got me really invested. I know they do it for dramatic license and to make a gripping show, but it is a bit funny how often they play the trope of things happening simultaneously, or races against time. Works, though.

Only two episodes in but both episodes had me on edge. Love the tension throughout as you wait for the cartel to strike. Glad they didn't stop with Escobar, the Cali Cartel is even more fascinating in places (even with the artistic license being taken).

21 minutes ago, Pob said:

Good to see @sir stiff_one one branch out into acting. Not got high hopes for his character's chances, though.

Aye, evil Felipe Massa is totally going to off him. 

Another awesome season. Definitely my favourite Netflix series and one of my favourite series in recent times. Looking forward to season 4 and some Mexican cartel action! 

But...

Spoiler

Navegante dies :(

• Upvote 1

This was fantastic, took me an ep or 2 to get used to the loss of Pablo but the story rattles along and the Cali cartel are suitably evil to fill his shoes.

I love when they intersperse the story with actual news footage, shows how well cast the characters are looks (and make up) wise

Season 4 is commissioned and interesting to read the direction its heading

1 episode left... if anything this series has been better than the 1st, it's been proper edge of the seat sitting on your hands type stuff with one of the characters... my Wife had to leave the room as she got too worried about him!

Brilliant stuff.  It only really lacked Escobar's wacky jumpers.

There were some good shirts though.   Did you notice the two brothers both wore the same shirt when they were arrested?  Real life footage matched too.

Navegante:

Spoiler

I loved how his character developed this season, how in his own way he saw Salcedo as a friend. You'd think this guy never had friends or at least killed any he previously had. You sensed a warmness towards Salcedo that the character never showed previously that lead to that final scene between them. It sums Navegante's character up to think that not being the one who kills Salcedo means they can still be friends. I felt a sadness for the character after he shows the one bit of vulnerability and human side to himself to Salcedo who kills him without remorse. 

Best Navegante moment this season; telling Salcedo about having to clock off early because he really wants to meet an old girlfriend who has recently come home after 8yrs abroad. Salcedo thinking 'wow, maybe this guy is a human being after all' only for Navegante to follow it up basically with she grassed him up to the police 8yrs ago and he's been waiting ever since for revenge :)

• Upvote 1

Ok caught up with all of them now and S3 is without a doubt the best season.  It seems to flow a lot better than the other seasons which I guess is down to having a compacted timeline an dnot having to go fro season 1's 20 odd year timeline to season 2's 3 month or so time line, its consistent and fresh in season 3.

Does the show miss  Escobar ? I don't think it does... the 4 main baddies are unique and identifiable enough to stand out on their own and their characters are suitably fleshed out to stand on their own.

As I said earlier, there are some real edge of your seat moments in this... the pacing is far far superior to the other seasons...

I can't wait for season 4's chaos!

Which is a good thing, because it doesn't. I'm glad Pascal is the lead character. Though I will admit, Holbrook's narration was better. 

46 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Literally nobody has commented on whether or not it misses the american cop :lol:

I think because he was kind of replaced with two other American dudes.

Finished.

That. Was. Brilliant.

Did wonder if Wagner Moura would leave too big a hole in the show but the progression into Cali's world worked very well. Pacho, Pena, Jorge and Navegante in particular were compelling throughout.

So tense, really high production values (looked amazing in 4K) and even with a satisfying finale, left plenty of room for more. Fantastic TV.