rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  

Narcos - Season 4 on 16 November

Surprised there's not a thread for this already. It looks decent, and features the excellent Pedro Pascal from Game of Thrones.

Series 1 is available tomorrow. All of it! :D

They say things come in threes, well, after Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Metal Gear Solid V, this will be the third piece of entertainment released in the past few weeks that's set in the year 1984. :D

I've been watching the trailers and it looks very promising. Looking forward to some 4k goodness tonight with this.

This reminds me...

I'm assuming you know this, but I didn't.

You don't get 4K content from Netflix unless you are on the higher subscription rate. When I joined, there was just one rate of £5.99 a month. I was checking out mu account details the other day and noticed that my rate gets me 1080P and access to the service from two devices maximum at a time.

The higher, £8.99, rate gets 4K streaming and access from 4 devices at a time.

Just FYI in case anyone else was not aware.

That looks amazing! I love the Netflix model - I can just pay £7 whenever they chuck up a new series I want to see and watch it at my leisure over the course of a month.

Watched the first 2 and loving it, the guy playing Escobar is fantastic and the whole thing so far feels big budget and high quality.

Now the great netflix dilemma, just one more tonight ............

How American focused is this? I'd love a decent south of the border drug lord story. But I can't be doing with some US dickheads with their guns and stupid jackets with letters on them being all pious and moral.

How American focused is this? I'd love a decent south of the border drug lord story. But I can't be doing with some US dickheads with their guns and stupid jackets with letters on them being all pious and moral.

Well it's about 80% subtitled. It's narrated by an American but not really US centred.

• Upvote 1

This has been fantastic so far. I read that it's not one of the bigger budget Netflix series, but it looks sumptuous at times and has that difficulty stopping watching that Breaking bad and the Sopranos had.

Just watched the first episode. Really, really good, the guy playing Escobar is fantastic, terrifying and yet magnetic at the same time. The bit on the bridge was formidable.

• Upvote 1

Same, just watched episode one and its bloomin' great TV. They nailed Escobar, such a creepily charismatic character, with a ruthless streak comparable with any of history's real life villains.

Ep two about to start. Will just set my alarm for a little later tomorrow morning.

This is excellent. Really classy and gorgeously shot. Also, I know certain names have been changed, etc. but I'm assuming there's enough truth in there that I'm learning something to boot.

Burt Reynolds has never been better.

• Upvote 3

Seen all of it now (longhaul flight) and while it was good it wasn't as great as I expected from the trailer.

It's very well made and some of the actors were outstanding but the episodes didn't really flow or build up any tension imo. I also think it really failed to show the scale of his operations after the first couple of episodes and you could be fooled into thinking he was running a churro stand for all the drugs trade it detailed. The whole cartel/rival cartels were really one dimensional as well and needed more backstory/focus. I wanted to see more about some of the ingenious ways they were smuggling the drugs into the US. Were the DEA really just two guys the entire time too?

Seems like they could have got 3-4 seasons out of it but skimmed the top to get 10 episodes. Pity as the setting and story is an excellent one.

End spoiler

After going so far, I'm surprised they ended the show so close before his end.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. As often happens with something like this, I went down a Wikipedia/Google Maps rabbit hole reading more about the real events and organisations and looking at the locations. I do remember Escobar being a name in the news growing up, but I didn't know much below the surface.

5 episodes in, and I think there's a bit too much voice over. Never really works for me. Maybe it was okay for the first episode to get things up to speed, but after that the show is way better when they ease off on it. I feel then like I'm more involved with what's going on.

In episode 5...

Carillo was a total boss with that phone call to Pablo's satellite phone.