Love this trailer

So this is out shortly, cant find a thread. It looks brilliant, a sort of choose your own adventure teen horror flick. Would be fun to play in groups. It also has that blond cheerleader from Heroes in.

Anyone pre ordered? I'd love to hear impressions.

Well, Jim Sterling loved the fuck out of this:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/08/until-dawn-review/

Until Dawn is everything that Quantic Dream games have tried to be – unsuccessfully – for the past decade. It emulates horror movies while demonstrating a clear understanding of what makes those movies work, its focus on consequence is nervewracking and intricate, and its story is silly but strongly delivered. It’s the best David Cage game not made by David Cage, and it’s the best interactive horror flick you’ll play.

Well after reading some reviews I've pre-ordered. Which means, with This, MGS V , TKK, Uncharted Collection, Life is Strange, Everybodys gone to the rapture and the inevitable pre-order of FIFA 16, I have gone well beyond my approved budget.

5 minutes of watching that video, the characters are really really horrible. I know people will say 'That's the point! It's supposed to be like that!' but that still makes them horrible company. Also, I was looking on metacritic, one review example said that you'll connect with the characters over time and another below it said you'll just want them all to die. I guess it just depends on taste, this game could be a bit of a marmite.

Yeah they're despicable millennial bellends, really. It's like deciding which of the American Pie cast you want to live and die (none and all of them, respectively).

You do pick favourites, though. By which I mean some people are slightly less worse than the absolute worst of them, which makes some of the decisions a little more clear-cut than they're probably supposed to be.

I think there's a sort of macrocosmic parallel to the shift of western culture generally contained within the change in the format of the slasher horror between its inception and what we see today. The original examples tended to be a group of likeable teens (with one wacky one who was a bit irritating) being picked off one by one by some psychotic killer, and each time one of them bought it there was supposed to be some disappointment in the viewer. You start the film knowing only one of them can make it, but you want it to be all of them.

Compare that to the same films now and all of the characters bar one (the one who will survive) are odious beyond description. When they die you're supposed to be glad, you spend a lot of the film being asked to root for the psycho killer as he removes another wanker from the world. In the later films, although the same events ostensibly occur as in the earlier examples, the characterisation means you never feel any peril for these protagonists, there's never any risk. It's in this area I see a parallel with a lot of our cultural output. Your given what the author thinks will please you, and where what would be given is likely to upset you or make you uncomfortable they change it to negate that possibility. It's not universal obviously but there is definitely a trend in that direction.

Anyway, I don't really know what I'm waffling about... this game looks good. I will probably buy it.

Hmmm... Don't think that's a new effect, as that started in the slew of sequels to Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street in particular. The rise of the killer as personality begat what we have today, and was what the Scream films traded on.

I don't think it happened in Friday the 13th until the 8th or 9th film in the franchise (I have to admit as big a fan as I am I struggle to remember which is which when it gets that high in the sequence), but even then I don't think it was until 10 that the killing of unlikable characters became the point of the whole exercise.

It's not just films that have a memorable killer though, take something like Wrong Turn. The whole set up of that film is to introduce a number of unpleasant people and see them eviscerated, and there are countless other films exactly like it. The problem is there's no fear while watching these films, without being invested in the survival of the characters their deaths don't mean anything to you. The whole thing is just a slideshow of unpleasant murders which presumably the audience is supposed to cheer. It isn't horror as I would see it, it's only horror in the sense of being horrible.

Actually there's a perfect example of it in Friday the Thirteenth itself. Compare the original with the remake. I felt they completely missed the point regarding what makes the original so watchable and instead catered for an audience who just want to see gruesome deaths without really caring about them.

Yeah I'm just rambling now...

With the positive feedback from gaf and an Edge 7 I couldn't resist this at £35 - hopefully with an 8 hr run time for a playthrough I can rinse it and a couple of alternate paths over the week and trade on for only a few quid loss.