IGNORED

The Best Megadrive Games... That You Can Play On A SNES...

gone fishin

Yeah, this is going to start a huge playground battle...

Anyway, I'd really love to get a Megadrive but at the moment I just can't justify one. I suppose when people talk about the best games on the SNES or Megadrive, they tend to be platform exclusives. But some were also available on both systems.

So in the meantime, what are the best Megadrive games that are also available on the SNES?

Games like Sensible Soccer, Desert Strike... anything else that's worth picking up?

Mortal Kombat 2 got the better port compared to Mega Drive.

Aladdin differences are told by all (not 'better', just different).

Rocket Knight Adventures got remade as Sparkster for the SNES (whereas MD's Sparkster acts more like a sequel), which in my opinion didn't turn out as good as the MD original, but still a hundred million times better than the abomination released a couple years back.

I think the word you're looking for is 'multiplatform', as many of the games you're thinking of are as much home computer/other Japanese console games as 'Mega Drive' games. Indeed, the two you mention were released far and wide, and Sensi certainly didn't originate on the MD!

Anyway, solid multiplatform games available on SNES... Games like Flashback and Another World got decent SNES versions. Puyo Puyo/Kirby's Avalanche is a decent version of Puyo Puyo/Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine too. I believe the SNES got a Micro Machines game too; never played its version, but that series of games remains wonderfully enjoyable even today, so is well worth grabbing.

As for games which alter per system, as per NEG's post, the differing treatments that the Mega Drive and SNES gave Turrican make it reasonably interesting (though it's fair to say that the SNES version is the worst of the three variations). And of course SNES Shadowrun is a classic, and entirely different to Mega Drive Shadowrun. Neither of those are really what you're after (and as a SNES fan I'd hope you've already played Shadowrun!), but they are interesting curios.

Mortal Kombat 2 got the better port compared to Mega Drive.

Aladdin differences are told by all (not 'better', just different).

Rocket Knight Adventures got remade as Sparkster for the SNES (whereas MD's Sparkster acts more like a sequel), which in my opinion didn't turn out as good as the MD original, but still a hundred million times better than the abomination released a couple years back.

Aladdin on the SNES is a completely different (and better imho) game - closer to the SNES Mickey games then the MD version which sparked the line of platformers leading to Cool Spot and Earthworm Jim

Sunset Riders, although the Megadrive version wasn't very good if I recall correctly. Wasn't it the other way round for a lot of EA games though, with the SNES versions of Desert Strike, Maddens, NHLs generally not being as good as the MD version? I know I never got into NHL '95 on SNES as much as I had a couple of previous versions on Megadrive but that could've been down to it being a poorer year in general.

SNES version of Desert Strike is technically inferior, but controls better because it has an extra button for Hellfire (on the MD Hellfire and strafe are the same button).

Zombies and Smash TV are better on the SNES for similar reasons.

Aladdin on the SNES is a completely different (and better imho) game - closer to the SNES Mickey games then the MD version which sparked the line of platformers leading to Cool Spot and Earthworm Jim

Oh man, all these years I've been feeling like a heretic. The hype around Aladdin on Megadrive in the UK was immense. I always much preferred the Capcom Aladdin game on the SNES. And all the hype heaped upon Castle of Illusion on Megadrive, I never played it and it looked alright but Magical Quest, again by Capcom, was absolutely stunning on SNES and I don't recall there being much fuss about it in the UK gaming press, I could be wrong though.

I mean what is not to love? Capcom, Disney and Nintendo!

The two year gap between Castle of Illusion and Magical Quest probably helped. In 1990 Castle of Illusion looked like nothing else (hell, the SNES didn't even exist yet); in 1992 Magical Quest managed to actually look slightly worse than the older Mega Drive game, so it wasn't quite as exciting.

The two year gap between Castle of Illusion and Magical Quest probably helped. In 1990 Castle of Illusion looked like nothing else (hell, the SNES didn't even exist yet); in 1992 Magical Quest managed to actually look slightly worse than the older Mega Drive game, so it wasn't quite as exciting.

Worse is subjective.

Even if you prefer the look of Magical Quest, you must get the gist of what I'm saying - the reason the press wasn't as excited by Magical Quest as Castle of Illusion is that Castle of Illusion's competition for cartoony platformers were games like this:

AlexKidd-Enchanted-Castle.png

While Magical Quest came out years after Castle of Illusion and this little thing:

MD_Sonic_the_Hedgehog.png

So wasn't quite as exciting. Coming first counts for a lot. Coming first by two years counts for a hell of a lot. It also came out the same month as Sonic 2 in Japan, and months after it in the West, which will have further reduced its impact.

The whole 'Super Mario World' thing might have had some sort of an impact on its reception, too.

Don't blame me if you block people and can't follow the thread! My reply followed this:

Was it MD that got the extra Earthworm Jim level? Either way I believe it's agreed MD had the better soundtrack, which I suppose is odd, considering SNES' superior sound chip stuff.

Fairly terrible game regardless but Zool seems to both look and play better on the SNES.

Yes, these are just occuring to my head as I go along now.

Edit: Although looking at videos, it would help if I'd played Zool in 60hz on the MD it seems!

Was it MD that got the extra Earthworm Jim level? Either way I believe it's agreed MD had the better soundtrack, which I suppose is odd, considering SNES' superior sound chip stuff.

I might be biased because I played the MD game first, but yes, I prefer that Jim soundtrack to the music found in the SNES game. :)

I can understand not being able to justify buying a Mega Drive - but not whilst still thinking about picking up arguably the most mediocre titles on the SNES.

Games like Super Smash TV, Sunset Riders and a few others are from a very small group of titles that are superior to their Mega Drive namesakes, but games that weren't optimised / redesigned for their host 16-bit system are usually the ones that really aren't worth bothering with.

I mean, take Zool. That's the kind of game this thread is about. James Pond. Noone needs games like that in their life anymore, and they're not worth the 99p their forgotten, defiled, torn-labeled cartridges would probably cost now.

I can understand not being able to justify buying a Mega Drive - but not whilst still thinking about picking up arguably the most mediocre titles on the SNES.

Games like Super Smash TV, Sunset Riders and a few others are from a very small group of titles that are superior to their Mega Drive namesakes, but games that weren't optimised / redesigned for their host 16-bit system are usually the ones that really aren't worth bothering with.

I mean, take Zool. That's the kind of game this thread is about. James Pond. Noone needs games like that in their life anymore, and they're not worth the 99p their forgotten, defiled, torn-labeled cartridges would probably cost now.

WHHHAAAATYTTT

James Pond 2: Codename Robocod is a seminal Christmas hit (in my house!)

The criteria for game discussion here is Mega Drive games that were also on the SNES. Of those games, a subsection were actually the same game (in content / design as well as in name). I'd say that a lot of those with origins from home computers have aged disgracefully in comparison with better reasons to plug a MD or SNES in (i.e Super Mario Kart, Gunstar Heroes etc). Surely this a pretty uncontroversial statement?

Okay, so as I write I have a couple of non-shovelware (and western developed) multiplatform games to add to the list:

Rampart is an example of a good arcade port on both the MD and Snes. The MD version was more faithful to the original (and might have had a better 2-player mode if I recall correctly), but the SNES version had the option of whizzing about playing on a huge mode 7 map and unique content. I couldn't pick one over the other but at least both were decent.

The already ancient-at-the-time Prince Of Persia got its definitive version on the SNES (adding more levels and modernised visuals) but rather than the arcade its roots were early-ass 8-bit computers - which played host to software which ended up being a huge part of MD and SNES multiplatform gaming..

Actually, I've thought of a brilliant Megadrive to SNES game, albeit one where the SNES one is somewhat altered (for the better, generally): Langrisser II, which became Der Langrisser on the SNES. A very decent, very unique SRPG... but only available in Japanese unless you can get your hands on a fan-patched version - and being an SRPG it's very heavy on text, so you'll need to be able to read it to enjoy it. It's well worth playing if you can, though.

Look, I owned an Amiga before any of you, FACT, ( ;)), but keep shitty Amiga platformers out of a thread on Megadrive and SNES. They were dogshit platformers. Zool and Robocod, OMFG.

Robocod was, and still is, fantastic. I bought the DS and PS1 versions but despite being superficially similar, the level design is shite and you now have to collect elf bombs in each level. Tedious. Oh and the CGI intro on the PS1 version? So embarrassing for all concerned.

Robocod was, and still is, fantastic. I bought the DS and PS1 versions but despite being superficially similar, the level design is shite and you now have to collect elf bombs in each level. Tedious. Oh and the CGI intro on the PS1 version? So embarrassing for all concerned.

Tried it, it was officially full of meh!

I may have tried it after Super Mario World...

SNES version of Desert Strike is technically inferior, but controls better because it has an extra button for Hellfire (on the MD Hellfire and strafe are the same button).

Zombies and Smash TV are better on the SNES for similar reasons.

Wait, there's strafe in Desert Strike?!? Really?

I completed it on MD back in the day, I imagine it would have been easier if I had if known that