Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake

57 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

What about if you have dolby atmos coming through the stereo headphones? What game sound output should I go with?

I can't be totally certain without knowing what the options in-game will be but an educated guess is that you'll probably want the game set to 5.1 or 7.1 if some device (decoder in a headset) or software (Xbox dolby atmos app) outside of the game is doing the job of processing the sound into simulated 3D for your headphones. However, with binaural selected in-game, any dolby atmos spacial sound processing on top of that will likely mess the effect up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sie said:

I can't be totally certain without knowing what the options in-game will be but an educated guess is that you'll probably want the game set to 5.1 or 7.1 if some device (decoder in a headset) or software (Xbox dolby atmos app) outside of the game is doing the job of processing the sound into simulated 3D for your headphones. However, with binaural selected in-game, any additional dolby atmos spacial sound processing on top of that will likely mess the effect up.

Hmm yeah I've got the dolby atmos app on my pc and a nice pair of stereo headphones so I'll give 7.1 a go when the game is out, cheers.

In theory Atmos isn't going to do much for you unless you have more than 7.1 speakers. It's a new object oriented method of placing a sound in a 3d space. Instead of shooting all back right channel audio straight down the "back right" channel, objects are individually tracked in a 3d space and played back to the listener out of the most correct speaker, up to 128 speakers. Because the space it's modelling is 3 dimensional you can place speakers above and below you, which will play back the sounds of objects very high or low in the 3d space. So a plane flying overhead is a distinct individual object which can come out of any speaker, rather than being baked into a specific channel going to the specific speaker it's earmarked for.

Of course, games basically already do this because you're moving through a 3d environment full of specific sounds (ambience, gunshots, zombies etc) which are moving around the soundstage as the player looks around, and which are held in game memory as distinct objects which are then mixed to a channel. Atmos just allows you to have more speakers by doing away with the traditional concept of channels and assigning each object a height and 360' angle relative to the listener. 

For stereo headphones, it's just another type of virtual surround processing. I never get on with virtual spatial surround, just sounds a bit more echoey to me. But some people love it.

Anyway can't wait to play this, the reviews today are the icing on the cake, I'm already at hype level 100.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moz said:

In theory Atmos isn't going to do much for you unless you have more than 7.1 speakers. It's a new object oriented method of placing a sound in a 3d space. Instead of shooting all back right channel audio straight down the "back right" channel, objects are individually tracked in a 3d space and played back to the listener out of the most correct speaker, up to 128 speakers. Because the space it's modelling is 3 dimensional you can place speakers above and below you, which will play back the sounds of objects very high or low in the 3d space. So a plane flying overhead is a distinct individual object which can come out of any speaker, rather than being baked into a specific channel going to the specific speaker it's earmarked for.

Of course, games basically already do this because you're moving through a 3d environment full of specific sounds (ambience, gunshots, zombies etc) which are moving around the soundstage as the player looks around, and which are held in game memory as distinct objects which are then mixed to a channel. Atmos just allows you to have more speakers by doing away with the traditional concept of channels and assigning each object a height and 360' angle relative to the listener. 

For stereo headphones, it's just another type of virtual surround processing. I never get on with virtual spatial surround, just sounds a bit more echoey to me. But some people love it.

Anyway can't wait to play this, the reviews today are the icing on the cake, I'm already at hype level 100.

Right then, I'm really confused now. I'm just gonna have to go through the demo again, once with Dolby atmos set to 7.1 and then again with binaural and Dolby atmos off and try and hear the differance myself. All I know is, I played Gears of war 4 with Dolby atmos through my headphones and the sound was coming from everywhere(above and below), it was amazing.

And indeed, hype level 100. Youtube, Reddit, Resetera, everywhere it's RE2, must stay strong and stay away from reviews and spoilers.