Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake

That was an absolutely brilliant demo and reminded me why I love games so much. Loved the feel of it, the atmosphere, the way the story unfolds, the tension, everything. The trailer after the demo ends was amazing.

• Upvote 2

Anyone commented on the HDR? It's shit/fake like RDR2. The white haze in dark areas is something I noticed immediately. Black levels are borked.

Just did a search online and it looks I'm not the only one.

Do we know yet if giant spiders are still in the game? I couldn't get past the sewers in the original RE2 because of them and won't be able to play the remake if they're back.

It really sucks. I absolutely love classic Resident Evil games but have to stop playing as soon as spiders turn up, and when I say stop playing, I mean scream - literally scream, extremely loudly - hurl the controller at the TV and cover my eyes with one hand while blindly mashing the remote control with the other.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 7

21 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Do we know yet if giant spiders are still in the game? I couldn't get past the sewers in the original RE2 because of them and won't be able to play the remake if they're back.

It really sucks. I absolutely love classic Resident Evil games but have to stop playing as soon as spiders turn up, and when I say stop playing, I mean scream - literally scream, extremely loudly - hurl the controller at the TV and cover my eyes with one hand while blindly mashing the remote control with the other.

Shoot them with a gun.

• Upvote 3

That was excellent. Didn't manage to finish it but at the end I had like 52 10mm bullets so I'm assuming either a lot of you are awful shots or there's something massive I didn't get to. 

I watched a video of someone else playing it and I missed a couple of rooms with goodies in them so that explains why my ammo was so low.

As I predicted folks have already figured out how to dodge the 30 min time limit - easy peasy! 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-12-resident-evil-2-remake-players-have-found-easy-workarounds-for-the-demos-30-minute-time-limit

So will you succumb to the temptation to dive in again? I feel like I might have to, purely for science of course...

Also I forgot to shout out the oppressive ambient music/sound in this game, it really added to the uneasy atmosphere.

• Upvote 2

Well this was odd.

Not really clear what objective was - so rushed forward - ignoring exploring/world building which I suspect is a bigger part. 
Don’t like it taking 3-4 headshots to kill a zombie.
The graphics were surprisingly ‘ok’ rather than amazing (My fault maybe for expecting as mind blowing on release as REmake) and the voice acting is odd (not my Leon etc)

• Upvote 1

My favourite bit was when, as Leon is trying to pull a guy through a doorway and you hear a sickening crunch and splatter which could only, ONLY, be a lower torso dismemberment, he very very calmly says “hang in there”

• Upvote 3

Loved it. Might have finished it? Said i played for 26 minutes.

was the ending seeing the cctv footage of Clare on the laptop?

I thought the graphics and lighting were great, but then I'm playing on pc, using a 1080p tv that cost less than £300. I think some of you guys' standards might be too high.

• Upvote 1

I thought it looked sensational on the Pro, can't get over how smooth it is, can't wait to play the full game with that terrible HDR off (unless they somehow fix it for the final release)

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I watched a video of someone else playing it and I missed a couple of rooms with goodies in them so that explains why my ammo was so low.

As I predicted folks have already figured out how to dodge the 30 min time limit - easy peasy! 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-12-resident-evil-2-remake-players-have-found-easy-workarounds-for-the-demos-30-minute-time-limit

So will you succumb to the temptation to dive in again? I feel like I might have to, purely for science of course...

Also I forgot to shout out the oppressive ambient music/sound in this game, it really added to the uneasy atmosphere.

Does that hack work for the PC?. Always wary of trainers

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

I take it there’s a huge gulf between the consoles and high spec of version? On pc this was literally one of the best looking games I face ever seen 

I've played it on a base PS4 and on my pc mostly max settings at 1440p and really I didn't notice much differance other than 60fps and less jaggies on pc. The game oozes atmosphere but graphically the demo hasn't blown me away, I think sometimes the textures on things look a bit low res but fuck it the game is fun and thats more important.

14 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Does that hack work for the PC?. Always wary of trainers

I did what is shown in this video and played through the demo a few times no problem, no need for a trainer.

Played the demo using a Steam controller, PS4 pad and an XBOX one pad. I think I will use the PS4 pad when the game comes out for gyro aiming and nice rumble. Gonna preorder from GreenManGaming which has 26% off at the moment, looking forward to release day!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Nice, seems I almost finished the demo in that case; I assumed the objective was to get the three medallions. :doh:

• Upvote 1

So that's that. Pretty much what I expected, which is good. I didn't die, but I don't think I got that far either. It's not the sort of game that's worth rushing through on a first try, because a big part of it is building atmosphere to make you cautious. I tend to walk around until I know an area is clear.

I almost got killed in the first part because I was swinging wildly with my aim, but actually it wasn't too difficult to pop the Zs in the head after that, when you've got more distance to work with.

Most of all it's damn tense. The sound effects. Lack of light. But also how it plays on your knowledge of the original to keep you guessing. I was expecting

Spoiler

the appearance of the licker as I entered the western side of the map, but it never came, at least not in the parts I saw. The anticipation was enough to put me on edge anyway.

Still can't justify buying immediately though, as I've got other stuff to get through.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NickC said:

Has anyone who experienced non-VR motion sickness with RE7 tried this? I'm fine with 4 and 5 but 7 was bleurgh...

I did when I first played RE7, but for me it's only a thing that happens with first person perspective games, so not surprisingly I didn't get it with this demo at all.

Jesus Christ this is absolutely horrible, in the best way of course. 

Ive been replaying the PS1 RE games in preparation for this — currently halfway through LeonB, so it’s crazy to see how they’ve gone about remaking this! 

Hoping to sqeeze in an RE3 run too before the release in 2 weeks. 

7 minutes ago, carlospie said:

do resi games ever go on steam sales later in life? 

There was a resi sale about two weeks ago or so. My sense of time's a bit screwed, but it was recent.

I died with 2 minutes remaining! :D

But yeah this is shaping up to be something quite special. It plays great and looks even better and I had zero issues on PC as well; runs at a near constant 60fps with all the bells and whistles turned on to max. Not sure if it's day one though as I really want to finish some other games before fully committing to this. 

EDIT: As others have said the contrast of the image needs some work though as it looks a bit too washed out at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

The article said to do it on PC you have to do some pretty complicated messing around with Steam, but doesn't say how.

You simply delete your save game data, then use a very small app to wipe your Steam achievements. It takes less than a minute.

Easiest hack ever.

• Upvote 1