IGNORED

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Vin

I thought Veronica was excellent, partially due to the antagonist going full schlock and chewing the scenery.

0 was... disappointing. I like the premise but the guy (can't remember his name) and Rebecca are complete personality voids. Also, the whole switching between characters never felt natural, it usually made me feel annoyed. "Ah great, so now I have to bring this key to all the way over there so I can unlock the door so the other character can open the door".

4 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

That’s ok, you’re also wrong and likely didn’t play it properly or even remotely gave it a chance so your opinion is the one that’s more likely actually null and void. x 

I am being a bit dry here for humour sake in the face of pissed rudeness, as I don’t actually think anyone’s opinion doesn’t matter. It’s all subjective. 

I was rude as fuck last night. Apologies for that.

6 is still shite though 

3 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I was rude as fuck last night. Apologies for that.

6 is still shite though 

Thank you for your apology, no hard feelings. 

6 is still great though

:D

Resident Evil 6 is an odd duck. It ran like garbage on the 360, the tone was way too self-serious and the constant QTE's would test the patience of a Saint.

However, the combat system was ahead of its time. No boring slowly shimmying past crap wobbly zombies a la Re2make, you're dodging sniper fire, kneecapping fools and performing lucha libre moves on them. It's like Vanquish with supposed humans, and it's genuinely great. No plodding around a police station yawning yourself to death as you look for a friggin' medal that you don't have the inventory space to carry, it's all about Chris Redfield's rippling abs body slamming the undead into meaty little bits.

Even if everything else sucked, mercs mode will shine like a beacon forever.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Will this be on consoles too? Can they upgrade RE3: Remake to put the rest of the game back in?

2, 3 and 7 are getting free next-gen updates. Seems the updates have been added to the PSN servers, so hopefully not long to wait, maybe get a date or release on Monday when Capcom have their showcase.

If anyone with an Xbox hasn’t got RE2:Remake, it’s currently £4.49 on CDKeys. You need a VPN (NOT Tunnelbear) set to Argentina to redeem it. Just done it myself, worked a treat! There’s also 5% off using the PAYPAL5 code at checkout!

Resident Evil 6 is a really good game, which, had it not been called "Resident Evil Something", would be a well regarded game.  It's not the best Resident Evil, not close, but it's a really good game in its own right and doesn't deserve the dribbling it gets, especially with the fantastic Mercenaries mode and the remaster to PS4 at 60fps.

Not available for download yet but now showing as enhanced for Series X|S. So seems to be looking good for a release tonight at the showcase which starts at 11pm.

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Downloading the PS5 versions of 2 and 3 now 

Fucking yes! I was going to resume my saves on these from the PS4 versions on my PS5 anyways, this is even better.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Is there a reason to get the PS5 versions over the Xbox ones? Do the PS5 one have ray-tracing when the Xbox versions don't?

The Xbox versions have ray tracing, not that it makes a huge difference.

Both have ray-tracing. Haven’t played them yet but I think the options are 120fps, 4K 60fps, and ray tracing with a variable framerate. 

ps5 has haptic support and they both have 3D audio 

Apparently the VRR support on the Xbox helps a lot with frame-rate drops if you're using ray-tracing. The PS5 version is noticeably more juddery from what I'm hearing.

I'll be turning off the ray-tracing and going straight for the highest frame-rate possible, as I do with everything.

40 minutes ago, Windowlicker said:

The Xbox versions have ray tracing, not that it makes a huge difference.

Cheers. I rinsed RE2 on the PS4 but wouldn't mind playing it again, and I've not played 3, so I might get the double pack for £20.

19 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Apparently the VRR support on the Xbox helps a lot with frame-rate drops if you're using ray-tracing. The PS5 version is noticeably more juddery from what I'm hearing.

I'll be turning off the ray-tracing and going straight for the highest frame-rate possible, as I do with everything.

Isn't VRR a PS5 thing now too?

Just now, SuperCapes said:

Isn't VRR a PS5 thing now too?

The Xbox supports LFC (low framerate compensation) which means its effective VRR range is greater.

The PS5 judders when it drops below 48fps, the Xbox doesn't.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers. I rinsed RE2 on the PS4 but wouldn't mind playing it again, and I've not played 3, so I might get the double pack for £20.

I need little excuse to play these games so the upgrade is irresistible.

3 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The Xbox supports LFC (low framerate compensation) which means its effective VRR range is greater.

The PS5 judders when it drops below 48fps, the Xbox doesn't.

Cool! I had no idea, and another reason to switch my SX on more! 

6 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Cool! I had no idea, and another reason to switch my SX on more! 

Yes, there was a good thing on this from Digital Foundry. The mode on PS5 that uses VRR on "unsupported games" complies with HDMI Forum's 2.1 standard that VRR will work all the way down to 48fps, as soon as it goes lowers, VRR is immediately disengaged. 

In order for the VRR to go lower on a game, it needs a patch to do so.
Xbox's threadhold for VRR for everything is a bit lower than 48 fps. It might be 40? something like that. 

Just now, Jamie John said:

What was the consensus on 3? Not as good as 2, a bit short, but still good fun?

Where 2 is the "metroidvania" style structure of typical RE games, RE3 is a fair bit shorter and linear. 
love Remake3 because of that fact. It's shorter and tighter and great to replay and get faster and faster going for optimum speedruns. 

I actually prefered 3. Even though I played and loved the PS1 originally, it's been maybe 20 years since I played it, so I don't remember the thing exactly. So the changes to Remake3 didn't bother me in the slightest. I didn't think it was lacking. 

RE2 on PS5 unlocked the platinum straight away, so thanks for the free trophies I guess. Didn't fancy doing No Way Out with just the 30 pistol rounds again, that was tough enough the first time :)

Looks great, but I swear Ray Tracing is completely lost on me, from Control to Cyberpunk to now RE2 the only thing I notice is the frame drops instead. The resolution bump and dual sense stuff is nice.