rllmuk
Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

26 minutes ago, carlospie said:

And nosferatu in cv 

I couldn't remember what that was so checked on Youtube, I didn't find him that scary back in the day but I like the sniping mechanic, its basically the same as the Resi 4 Regenerators. But oh man, this game has aged badly - I remember Steve's voice being bad but it's hilariously terrible and the cheese factor is over 10000. For the lolz:

• Upvote 2

I finally did The Fourth Survivor. Looking forward to the DLC stories and then I may try Hardcore. I doubt I'll get very far though.

• Upvote 1

Finished both scenarios on standard now. It is a brilliant remake and I'll revisit at some point I'm sure.

A few niggly things here and there, personally I'd say though it's mechanically a better game In a lot of ways the way the two scenarios play out in the original was better and felt more like playing the complete story. The two playthroughs here feel very much like the same game with some differences at a couple of key points. 

(There may be some naughty nostalgia colouring my opinions here of course)

It’s definitely not nostalgia - scenario B has areas of the lab and the train platform which are all unique, for example. 

This has a small number of locations in the station which are unique to Leon or Claire, but they’re pretty limited. 

Started playing last night and put a few hours in with Leon. So far its really solid, not blowing my mind but I love the level design. It's such a change for there to be no door animations so its so quick to move around, it helps to make the police station really feel cohesive. Plus no door is "safe" from the zombies busting in when you're happily occupied looting. Got 2/3 medallions and trying to find where to go next. The licker really wrecked me, but aside from that I only died once so far through overconfidence - it was a bit of a shock when not one zombie but two joined in on the Leon chowdown, causing double the damage which I hadn't anticipated!

Difficulty wise I went with Normal, I have a huge stockpile of meds and gunpowder and so far I'm regulating the challenge by just taking one med with me and not really using the shotty. Hopefully the adaptive difficulty will kick in and make things tougher resource-wise going forwards. With the pistol I am finding it challenging enough, the way the zombie heads lurch around, and their sudden speed bursts can make things refreshingly tricky on the aiming front. A lot of the zombies keep getting back up after a while which I really like. And technically I don't know how they manage it but I think every single zombie I've killed is still lying out there in the station, which adds a nice level of tension as you never really know when one might decide he's not quite dead! Same thing with the windows which keep you wary when they are around. There's only so much wood to keep the riff-raff out.

I'm liking the puzzles as well so far and the way you keep having to backtrack and unlock shortcuts. So far so good!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

There's only so much wood to keep the riff-raff out.

I thought those zombies looked familiar...

FB6BE7B6-BED4-418C-9ED1-975912639F72.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Frankly, I find the B scenario downright weird. It doesn't feel like two characters in the same world at all since they're often triggering the exact same events or solving the exact same puzzles.

The original RE2 did this way better - at least things like grabbing ammo or resources that would disappear from the second run made more sense as far as internal logic goes. It's weird, that IGN guy was still right even though he played through the A scenario twice - you really do play huge swathes of the exact same game with minor changes to the puzzles.

• Upvote 2

Exactly how I felt, so I see them more like parallel universe scenarios rather than concurrently running events in this remake. It is a shame because the original definitely had a nicer sense of boss progression as you effectively took it in turns to shoot up Birkin (seeing him gradually transform more and more, also seeing the aftermath of the other characters encounter I think at times). The two climactic battles and escape from the lab felt a lot more synchronised and exciting in the original I think.

I wonder how much of it was cutting down cost and development time compared to actual design decisions. It's not like the original had a massively complex overlapping scheme that was watertight but it gelled a lot better as an A / B playthrough.

• Upvote 2

Playing Claire B and regarding Mr X...

Spoiler

I read that going into the STARS office triggers Mr X. And it does. It’s important to get the first two medallions before going in there to get the battery for the detonator. Then I ran like hell to the third medallion, blew up the wall, and ran back to the main hall.

Once you go underground he doesn’t follow you. Then when you go back up into the police station a minute later, he vanishes. And you can mop up any extra stuff in the station without him pestering you.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Regarding Mr X when he first shows up: :(

So, you just have to run away whenever he shows??

You can stun him with a stun grenade, or a few pistol shots to the head will put him down for a few seconds. I chucked a grenade at him once and it knocked his hat off and I got an achievement :D

• Upvote 1

Made a lot of progress last night, must be near the end of the first playthrough now.

My terror of Mr. X was much diminished last night once I found out I could outrun and avoid him. Of course he still added a brilliant  tension to exploring the station but I wasn't running around in a panic (at least most of the time!). If he showed up I'd just leg it out of there, and I took great care in sneaking around trying not to alert him. Still, I had to do big loops around the station to avoid him, which was made much easier once I found the library tool and unlocked the upper hall balcony. That lets you quickly get to the other side of the station. Even so there were still some very hairy moments where zombies would come back to life at just the wrong moment, or smash through a window just as Mr X was on my heels.

I grabbed the relevant bits and bobs left in the station and went back to the prison, where it quickly turned into a massive clusterfuck once I turned on the power. Low on ammo and completely overwhelmed, I pretty much got through the horde of zombies by getting munched on - and then of course Mr X turns up to join the party as well! Then Ada saves you and runs over Mr X but I could remember that wasn't the last we'd see of him...

Nice little interlude out at the gunshop with a surprisingly tender moment with father and daughter. I like the new spin on Ada now, her dialogue's pretty good - at least until she starts fawning over Leon later on.

The sewer was just like all sewer levels - looks crap and plays a bit crap. Every horror game has one and I'm just bored of them, I dont like the aesthetic (browns and greys, boring design). The crocodile chase was unexpected and a laugh right from the Resi 4 playbook, very silly compared to the more serious tone from earlier though. Then Ada's mission kind of compounds that, being pretty cheesy with silly dialogue, gimmicky mechanics and trap cliches (conveyor belts, furnances and crushers!). Gotta admit she's still looking mighty fine though. Still it was a nice change of pace from Leon. 

Back with Leon the merely passable sewer grind continued, the sludge monsters being kind of over the top and annoying to fight. The most memorable bit was the little cage maze where you gotta use the electronic plugs to make a path and get the flamethrower. Why this was more interesting to me than most people is that I ran out of ammo getting past the sludge monsters - so there was still a zombie at the cages I couldn't kill. Of course he taunted me with the nearly full condition knife I had stabbed him with. So I had to figure out this maze puzzle but factoring in this zombie in the tight space, luring him into tiny sections of the cage to shut doors on him so I could safely get to another plug. It took much faffery and last second dodges but I got there in the end, and when I got the flamethrower I couldn't bring myself to waste the ammo on him just to get my knife back, so he's still locked up there to this day!

The boss was pretty annoying but I did him second try (the first time I of course knocked myself off the edge with the container). My suspicions about him being William Birkin are definitely true because I saw a snippet of the character gallery in a Resi 2 review video!

Finally made it to the cable car with soppy Ada in tow (maybe she bashed her head during the fall?). I had wanted to backtrack to the police station to develop the last roll of film, but couldn't be arsed to plod through the sewers yet again to find where to use the sewer key. In fact I don't know if it's even possible once you drop into the typewriter room? So I said sod it and hit the lever.

Now this next area I can get into. I couldn't remember if there was a proper lab in this Resi game, but there is and that makes me happy. I love the lab sections in Resi games, the visual designs and layouts are always cool in them. And damn this one looks good - I had a quick gander around the lobby area and the side rooms before I turned off for the night.

So the end of the police station was a nice tense tactical affair playing around Mr X, it's just such a shame he loses his fear factor after a while. I feel like they should make him more aggressive as you go on, or make it so he can hear you better. I'd also prefer him to show up in the sewers for Leon, not just Ada (where he's just kind of an annoyance as you try to hack shit before he gets you). Maybe this happens in other scenarios but I feel like he's underutilised, although I know he will show up again in the labs or the end of the game. The sewers were fine, but just like the original game in no way as interesting or memorable than the police station. I wish they'd overhauled this part of the game a lot more. Underground water treatment plants and shit are just so bloody dull on every level, including the layout in this case. There aren't even any scary enemies lurking under water (at least in this playthrough), those blob things are just generic mutant meh-balls.

Really looking forward to the lab though, hoping its not really short!

Now I'm curious what Claire will run into when I do the B scenario, I know she gets to see inside the Heart doors in the police station, but I'm curious about how Mr X plays out with her and what other bosses/surprises will be along the way.

One thing is for sure though, on a mechanical gameplay level, this game is great fun. The dynamic difficulty is spot on, I've been low on, or out of ammo for most of the game. The zombies are amazing enemies, really adept at ducking at weaving, lunging unexpectedly, a threat even once they've been downed. Mr X adds a whole new dimension to the actual strategy of navigating the station and the station layout is still a fantastic bit of level design. The sewers much less so but the fundamentals of combat and resource management stay the same. I do think they have been a bit too generous with inventory space, and I would have liked to see ink ribbons in Normal, but on the whole I've still been enjoying it a lot.

• Upvote 7

Careful what you wish for... Hardcore halves the upgradeable inventory, there's no autosave and every enemy is a right bastard who does obscene amounts of damage. X has a much quicker walking speed so unless you're at full health it's much more difficult to lose him. And one hit takes you straight to red danger urk 

Still fun as heck though, despite getting hammered on Leon B at one point over and over and over again 

Faster Mr X must be stressful as hell! Yeah I think this game is going to be really fun to replay. Once you get past the initial scares and wow factor of the new, underneath there's a lot of depth in the challenge. Picking optimal routes, deciding what enemies to kill and leave alive, what windows to board up, what gunpowder and herb combos to use, when to save the game. And that's all way better fun than old Resident Evils because there's no room to room loading screens to endure and the enemies can break through doors.

I really had a lot of fun, even though it was challenging at the end of the police station as the game throws more enemies at you than you have ammo for, whilst Mr X is on your ass. Because you've opened up most of the station and know what's where you have to make tough choices about what route to take. "I know there's a licker in this corridor but Mr X is far away, I think I have enough time to sneak through... but do I have enough ammo to spend on this zombie that's blocking the corridor... maybe I should loop around the upstairs instead". That's one of the reasons the sewer for me is way less interesting, because it's so linear and there are far less strategic elements to consider.

I think it's telling for the series that the best fun levels have always been the more open plan ones - like Resi 1's mansion, Resi 7's house, Resi 2's police station and the village areas in Resi 4. The linear bits and set pieces are fun but the survival gameplay is best when you have to think not only about shooting stuff but where to go and when to spend your resources.