Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

4 hours ago, Majora said:

Yep, this is what the difference between SDR and HDR looks like on my OLED too. It's not a stylistic choice, the blacks just look shit in HDR. When I was running through the streets and got to the outside of the police station in HDR everything looked blue-y grey. Turned HDR off and it actually looked like night-time.

As I mentioned in my post, the blacks aren’t universally at that level (in lit areas and when you go under shutters they’re actual black) so it’s deliberate insofar that it’s caused by the various filters they’ve chosen for each area.

I like the way inventory items get a tick when they've served their purpose. One, because you can discard them to free up inventory space, and two, at least you know there's some door or puzzle that still needs that item somewhere if it's unticked.

In fact, coming off the back off RDR2 onto this, the UI is a breath of fresh air. Everything is so slick and intuitive.

I’m loving this. Nails how I remember RE2 feeling when I was 15 or so. Very polished, great controls, visuals, sound, atmosphere etc. 23 years after RE and I’m still jumping at dogs. The system whereby moving makes your shots less accurate so you have to plant yourself for accuracy is a little stroke of genius. A great modern update to the tank controls of RE4.

i desperately need a Dead Space stomp though. 

13 minutes ago, Moz said:

I’m loving this. Nails how I remember RE2 feeling when I was 15 or so. Very polished, great controls, visuals, sound, atmosphere etc. 23 years after RE and I’m still jumping at dogs. The system whereby moving makes your shots less accurate so you have to plant yourself for accuracy is a little stroke of genius. A great modern update to the tank controls of RE4.

i desperately need a Dead Space stomp though. 

Smash em up with your knife when they’re down! 

1 hour ago, chris on the moon said:

That always bugged me in the orginals and it bugs me now.  After unlocking this door, you somehow know that all of the doors that can be unlocked with this key are now unlocked, and will remain unlocked for you for the rest of your life.

It would be far more annoying if they didn't do that, you'd be wasting inventory space with useless keys. 

And yeah, kneecapping the zombies and knifing em works quite well still. 

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

As I mentioned in my post, the blacks aren’t universally at that level (in lit areas and when you go under shutters they’re actual black) so it’s deliberate insofar that it’s caused by the various filters they’ve chosen for each area.

I mean, I really don't want to bog down the thread with this whole HDR thing when the game is so good but I've compared various parts of the game in HDR and SDR, messing with the brightness options and calibration tools in each mode and I think it looks substantially better in SDR. HDR looks washed out to me by comparison no matter how I calibrate it. You can even see it on the title screen. If it's a deliberate choice by Capcom to make HDR look like that compared to SDR then I think it's a bad one but hey, opinions and all that. I'm just going to stick to SDR and I'm happy with how it looks.

Anyway, the Tyrant is terrifying me to be quite honest. Before he was introduced it could feel tense but I usually felt reasonably comfortable if I took my time. Now I'm on edge all the time and it seems like gunshots attract him to my location. I'm part enjoying the anxiety, part absolutely dying for him to bugger off for a bit. I don't seem to be a million miles away from completing the police station so we'll see...

Playing as Claire and the SMG seems a bit crap. I guess Leon gets the shotgun?

7 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Knives now have a condition meter, so you have to use them a bit more carefully! 

That's new isn't it?  It seems for all removing the typewriter ribbons gives you in terms of easiness, the game subtracts in other ways - like zombies taking more head shots than ever to go down, breakable knives.

I'm getting anxious and sweaty sitting here thinking that now that it's dark and the game is bought and installed I should get going with it. But part of me can't handle the thought of those big boots thumping after me while dealing with lickers the same time and just want to cuddle up with hot chocolate, a warm blanket and the comfy colourful world of DQXI. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Was Tyrant this terrifying in the original? It's insane how much it ups the tension and unpredictability. I keep jumping at the sound of my own footsteps.

I've been a bit trigger happy, so only have 17 pistol bullets to face him with. So I'm just running away. Eventually I think I've lost him, and then I'll hear his footsteps or he'll smash through a wall and I'll lose my shit.

Spoiler

I just found the USB dongle though, so I'm on my way to the STARS office to hopefully get the magnum. But there's a licker on the way :(

3 hours ago, Majora said:

I mean, I really don't want to bog down the thread with this whole HDR thing when the game is so good but I've compared various parts of the game in HDR and SDR, messing with the brightness options and calibration tools in each mode and I think it looks substantially better in SDR. HDR looks washed out to me by comparison no matter how I calibrate it. You can even see it on the title screen. If it's a deliberate choice by Capcom to make HDR look like that compared to SDR then I think it's a bad one but hey, opinions and all that. I'm just going to stick to SDR and I'm happy with how it looks.

Anyway, the Tyrant is terrifying me to be quite honest. Before he was introduced it could feel tense but I usually felt reasonably comfortable if I took my time. Now I'm on edge all the time and it seems like gunshots attract him to my location. I'm part enjoying the anxiety, part absolutely dying for him to bugger off for a bit. I don't seem to be a million miles away from completing the police station so we'll see...

Playing as Claire and the SMG seems a bit crap. I guess Leon gets the shotgun?

HDR looks washed out in every single game for me. Turns out Samsung enabled it with a firmware update and while it technically works, the panel doesn’t have the brightness to do it any justice. It looks better off. It’s a 2016 model. Maybe something similar is happening .

33 minutes ago, Fox said:

I've been a bit trigger happy, so only have 17 pistol bullets to face him with. So I'm just running away. Eventually I think I've lost him, and then I'll hear his footsteps or he'll smash through a wall and I'll lose my shit.

Reveal hidden contents

I just found the USB dongle though, so I'm on my way to the STARS office to hopefully get the magnum. But there's a licker on the way :(

Only one? Wuss. 

I'm running the game on an LG C6 oled, the TV is set to HDR vivid not HDR game and it looks spiffing. HDR game mode looks washed out and horrible but HDR vivid mode does the job and I swear there is no input lag. I had the same problem with shadow of the tomb raider and ended up playing that in HDR vivid mode.

Put in about 4 hours as Leon and wasn't finding it hard at all until you know who turned up and put the pressure on. I ended up getting killed by a licker that I couldn't outrun and the added pressure was too much for me, my shots were too wild.

Oh my god, the interconnected level design is some Dark Souls shit. :o (Except long before Dark Souls ever came along, obviously, assuming it was the same in the original.) The total joy of unlocking (late-ish game spoiler for Leon playthrough)

Spoiler

an elevator from the sewers workroom straight up to the fucking police station ... Wow.

On 25/01/2019 at 22:45, ann coulter said:

I'm stuck! I can't kill 

Hide contents

G. Unloaded nine shotgun shells and 50+ handgun shells into his eye and he's still walking. Oh and a few grenades. Bit tough!

I take it you did this in the end? I'm stuck there as well. Might have to go back a few saves. There was a point not long before that where I got a bit complacent and went and wasted a load of ammo on zombies.

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

Oh my god, the interconnected level design is some Dark Souls shit. :o (Except long before Dark Souls ever came along, obviously, assuming it was the same in the original.) The total joy of unlocking (late-ish game spoiler for Leon playthrough)

Reveal hidden contents

an elevator from the sewers workroom straight up to the fucking police station ... Wow.

The original was like that too, the early RE games are a little bit Metroid-y in that respect, but of course as every room is a separate area that you load into those games they don't physically connect so it doesn't have that same impact and they totally cheat the layout. Here they do because of the seamless design they have brought over from RE7, and it's fucking cool when you go up a set of stairs and realise with surprise that you have come out in an earlier area you had long forgotten about - with an extra layer of recognition if you remember the same room in the original because a similar shortcut must have been there then too. 

8 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I take it you did this in the end? I'm stuck there as well. Might have to go back a few saves. There was a point not long before that where I got a bit complacent and went and wasted a load of ammo on zombies.

I did it eventually, yeah. It took a lot of ammo. Then I had to restart anyway because I ran out of ink ribbons.

On restarting, I managed to get back to the place where I'd given up but with five ribbons instead of none - you can really barrel through it once you're a bit more familiar with things. 

Mopping up all the items and turning every room from red to blue is so satisfying too.

It's bloody great how they have melded old and new in unexpected ways right through the game. They didn't just slavishly recreate the old game in a modern engine, nor did they throw out the old and just throw a few references in there, it's a much smarter approach. Occasionally something is exactly as it was before, which is a little thrill every time, more often it's kind of similar but totally reimagined, sometimes there's something completely new, and sometimes you think it's something identical to the old game and then it fucks with you. The combat design is something fresh for this series - it looks like the RE4-derived games but doesn't really play like them overall, which means it recaptures a lot of the pace and tension of the old game's combat which I didn't think was possible. Even in terms of art style, enemy design and setting, this one is quite a bit more grounded and realistic, but still somehow feels like the same aesthetic even when it clearly isn't. 

And as I am getting familiar with the layout it is digging my old mental map of the original out of brain cold storage and that's messing with me too. 

Creates this strange deja-vu which works brilliantly for horror, like suddenly finding yourself dreaming about a place you haven't been in for years where everything is just that little bit off from the familiar and you're simultaneously nostalgic and unsettled.