rllmuk
Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Put a few hours into this last night on hardcore. It’s pretty tough, yeah. There isn’t an over abundance of ink ribbons, and you can’t just blast every zombie you see as it can take a lot to put one down (wait until your reticule shrinks before firing, though, and it seems you have a better chance of a fatal headshot.) Lickers have become a genuine threat, and you’d better get to know the map so you can avoid them wherever possible. I’ve gone for some pretty long periods without saving, and on ‘danger’ health status, which was very tense. Feels like an authentic RE experience, so I’d probably recommend that mode for old hands of the series. 

Not finding it scary, even in the jump scare way, but it certainly does make you feel highly strung. 

• Upvote 2

I spent a lot of time in RE2 and Code Veronica at critical health, panting and gasping all the way.  I probably should have started this on hardcore since that is a very different experience.  Still entertaining though.

Fair play to Cex they got this to me less than 24 hours after ordering.

So stoked to play this, I even tweeted in Japanese.

I’m gonna start on hardcore mode even though I know this game will stress me out.

Are first aid sprays still a no-no? I was going to skip them.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Fair play to Cex they got this to me less than 24 hours after ordering.

So stoked to play this, I even tweeted in Japanese.

I’m gonna start on hardcore mode even though I know this game will stress me out.

Are first aid sprays still a no-no? I was going to skip them.

I'm doing Hardcore mode too. It's fantastic classic RE goodness. What do you mean about first aid sprays being a no-no though?

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yes but to be fair Argos can use it as a loss leader whereas for Game they're trying to leverage whatever profit they can. 

I doubt it's seen as a loss leader for Argos.

6 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I'm doing Hardcore mode too. It's fantastic classic RE goodness. What do you mean about first aid sprays being a no-no though?

In old games using spays decreases your final rank.

Hardcore mode is pretty brutal, got bit once and went straight into danger, looks like I’ll need the sprays.

The only thing slightly marring this for me so far is the way zombies animate at half the frame rate if they're more than about 6 feet away from you. It just looks a bit rubbish.

I know this is a trick often used in open world games or games like Hitman where in addition to massive draw distances you have large crowds to render. But when there's one zombie ten feet in front of you in an enclosed room, I don't really understand why it needs to animate at a low frame rate.

Anyway, that aside it's really really good. I didn't play the original 2 but it's pretty obviously classic Resi in spirit but faithfully updated and remade for modern players in a careful and reverent manner.

16 minutes ago, Duckula said:

Also, playing it with the original soundtrack DLC is essential.

This sounds interesting. I have no nostalgia for the original soundtrack obviously, but if I like the game enough to play through a second time starting with Leon instead of Claire I might give this a download to see how different it is. 

Aww man this game is great. After the first hour on hardcore I decided to start over because I finally have a grip on how I’m supposed to go about surviving.

Man, this is an absolute joy. It just runs, looks and feels so great and is the best possible remake of an absolute classic. I've just turned it off after 45 minutes cos I want to savour it later after dark.

Am i right in thinking that you can only get the original soundtrack by getting the deluxe edition, or by paying for it separately ?

Sounds a bit shit, as thats the only way to hear "Resident Evil 2" at the start menu.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Everyone else’s reflections look like this...

2s0ird.gif

I noticed that when playing the demo on my laptop with a 1080 gtx, thought it was just a PC thing. Didn't notice it on the PS4 demo

Well...shit.

I couldn't resist buying the thing, despite the fact that the demo scared me and I just know I'll scream at least once during the limited amount of time I'll play it before switching off in terror.

You're all to blame for my lack of anything remotely linked to will-power, and I hate you all.