rllmuk
Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

I bought Resi 4 since I'd never played it and it gets so much praise. The controls are fucking horrendous, why do people think this is fine?

Play it on the Wii.  Controls fantastically on that.

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, DC said:

You can nail planks of wood to those windows to stop zombies breaking in.

Apparently they still break in, but the planks do delay them a fair bit. 

As to the demo itself, I enjoyed it. The one worry I did have is that it’s so easy to pull off headshots now, but they seem to have increased zombie toughness to make up for that/done a bit of a crimson-head REmake thing. More than one ‘killed’ zombie got back up when I returned to an area, and it took a few more headshots to put them down. I guess that would explain why the game seemed so generous with handgun ammo, and I can see it necessitating just running past some of them to save bullets in higher difficulties. 

Nothing surprising, no real ‘scares’, but nicely polished and a good time. Look forward to the game. 

55 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Apparently they still break in, but the planks do delay them a fair bit. 

As to the demo itself, I enjoyed it. The one worry I did have is that it’s so easy to pull off headshots now, but they seem to have increased zombie toughness to make up for that/done a bit of a crimson-head REmake thing. More than one ‘killed’ zombie got back up when I returned to an area, and it took a few more headshots to put them down. I guess that would explain why the game seemed so generous with handgun ammo, and I can see it necessitating just running past some of them to save bullets in higher difficulties. 

Nothing surprising, no real ‘scares’, but nicely polished and a good time. Look forward to the game. 

The knife is your best ammo saving bet for putting them down permanently after they first fall.  I wasted a bit of ammo on trying to shoot off locks etc and ended up ammo less cowering in the mens locker room waiting for the timer to expire.  

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed the demo enough to be disappointed when the timer ran out but wasn't blown away or anything. Thoughts:

- The image quality looked so so soft on the One X. Will definitely be playing in 4K/30 mode in the full game. 

- Graphically it was quite mixed. Some bits looked good, others looked really basic, like the room with the weapons locker. 

- Black levels seemed fucked. I had HDR turned off after hearing impressions but ended up bumping the gamma to high on my set, otherwise the blacks were mostly grey. 

- Honestly didn't find it scary at all, and I say that as someone who still found RE:Make quite scary a couple of years ago and found the early parts of RE7 quite terrifying. Probably a combination of the viewpoint, easier combat mechanics but also...

- Disclaimer: I haven't played RE2 before. Setting most of the game in a police station just seems a bit...uninspiring? Rooms full of filing cabinets, desks and paper trays all struck me as rather boring compared to huge evocative mansions with creepy paintings and statues and elaborate backdrops. This mostly just looked like a boring old police station.

44 minutes ago, Majora said:

- Disclaimer: I haven't played RE2 before. Setting most of the game in a police station just seems a bit...uninspiring? Rooms full of filing cabinets, desks and paper trays all struck me as rather boring compared to huge evocative mansions with creepy paintings and statues and elaborate backdrops. This mostly just looked like a boring old police station.

There is more than the police station. Its been a while but its roughly a third of the game. However i would assume the game expands on every area of the game because you can get through the old game in a few hours.

Do we even know if we will have the option to start the game as leon or claire? and the multiple scenarios? 

Just did the demo - waited till after midnight, alone, headphones, whiskey. Managed to freak myself out a bit, which was nice. Was a lovely mix of nostalgia and not knowing what the fuck was going on. Absolutely shat myself after the first contact with zombies and if I hadn't found that spray I'd have been toast. Handgun rounds all over the shop.

My main complaint was that I kept coming across things, like windows, that demanded I press X only to leave me reading about Matilda my gun for the billionth time. Annoying, especially in a timed demo. Reading this thread, I learn I can put planks of wood over the windows, hence the prompt, but would if fucking kill the programmers at Capcom to just hold off on the prompt to do something with the windows until AFTER I have the planks of wood that interact with them? Or have Leon say a generic line like 'maybe I can block these off with something'. It's not like it's a puzzle or anything. Plus, while I'm moaning, why is the art design so inconsistent. Leon looks phenomenal, and has great facial animation, but the black police officer looks pretty ropey. His mouth moves all weird when he talks.

Anyhow, glad Capcom have treated this with sufficient love and attention, though overall this feels like a solid entry rather than something truly beguiling. I still remember playing the Resident Evil 1 remake on the cube and it blowing my fucking mind with its shadow filled beauty. This one just doesn't have the wow factor.

Hey all - the game is released 25th , but what time is that likely to be unlocked? midnight ? 6pm the next day? (i don't really pay attention to what time games unlock on steam).

depends whether i book the 25th off or not.. cheers!

7 hours ago, RJ Badman said:

Hey all, is it true that the physical edition doesn't have all the bonus stuff, the soundtrack swap, costumes etc? Bit odd.

Yeah, but the £200 edition does, which is pretty generous of them.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Hey all - the game is released 25th , but what time is that likely to be unlocked? midnight ? 6pm the next day? (i don't really pay attention to what time games unlock on steam).

depends whether i book the 25th off or not.. cheers!

It will be midnight, oh hang on on Steam I'm not so sure.

Since going into your inventory pauses your game (instead of leaving you vulnerable like RE7), I would have preferred a throwback to this style of inventory:

images.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 14/01/2019 at 10:02, MoFo2 said:

If you want the best version of Resident Evil 2 (until the remake is released):

Has anyone managed to get Resident Evil 2 Classic Rebirth working on the PC? I fancy a quick run through before this comes out but struggling to get anywhere with it.

34 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Thought this was a bit dull to be honest. There's a reason games have changed.

I found it a bit slow and dull as well. Definitely had more fun with the original RE2 demo back in 98, or whenever it was. Just to clarify, I have never played the full version of the game, love RE4, but the rest can go suck a bag of dicks, especially 6.

• Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Thought this was a bit dull to be honest. There's a reason games have changed.

I can understand that, I did say to myself 'oh yeah, this' when it came to the medallions. It will be interesting to see how the full game holds up and what they've changed or modernised. 

For me it will mostly all be new as I've only played like the first two hours of RE2 at my cousin's back in the day. Hardly remember a thing aside from the bar and outside areas!

Somethings do feel a bit old, why can't I stab a zombie in the head when it is down? Slashing away is very dumb. A simple dodge move would be nice and perhaps the ability to run into zombies and shoulder barge them but the zombie has a chance to grab you or trip you up.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Why are people calling the game old and saying it doesn’t hold up when it’s a brand new fucking game in a Resi 2 skin?

Unbelievable. 

Because it's being released for full price and there's a demo available. I'm really not sure why you're so upset.

• Upvote 2