Jump to content
rllmuk
Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Recommended Posts

This felt a lot like someone played Resident Evil 2 and decided it needed to be more serious and less weird. :(

 

Spoiler

However the trailer at the end suggests it will try to have it both ways and both be as absolutely fucking preposterous as the original, and treat it with the gravity of a prestige drama which sounds like gold to me.

 

The line reading on "I thought you were all wiped out" which makes it sound like Hunk was simply too tired to join the fray bodes well.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! Yes I liked that line a lot - the stoner delivery “Maaaaaaan, I thought you guys were like, wiped out!”, definitely on the right side of rediculous. 

 

And again, the horrific corpse deformation definitely underlined that. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The demo did its job of letting me know what to expect from the game, which unfortunately was to confirm my fears that it really has taken Resi 2 and upped the horror to a point where I can't stomach it. Sort of the opposite of Evil Dead 2; where that acknowledged that a large part The Evil Dead's charm was just how cheap and naff it was, and stuck its tongue firmly in cheek while retelling its story, the Resi 2 remake looks to 'fix' the original by really upping the horror and downplaying the silliness.

 

Hopefully it'll do enough of a good job of that to please 'proper' horror fans, but it renders it unplayable to me :( Time to get the Dreamcast discs out, I guess!

  • Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I try to start the demo I get a “Failed to connect” network message, even though I’m connected to the internet and Xbox live just fine. Anyone else experiencing this? So annoying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wiper said:

The demo did its job of letting me know what to expect from the game, which unfortunately was to confirm my fears that it really has taken Resi 2 and upped the horror to a point where I can't stomach it. Sort of the opposite of Evil Dead 2; where that acknowledged that a large part The Evil Dead's charm was just how cheap and naff it was, and stuck its tongue firmly in cheek while retelling its story, the Resi 2 remake looks to 'fix' the original by really upping the horror and downplaying the silliness.

 

Hopefully it'll do enough of a good job of that to please 'proper' horror fans, but it renders it unplayable to me :( Time to get the Dreamcast discs out, I guess!

 

It treads a fine line for me, but I expect it may get less scary as you get more firepower, based on the trailer. 

 

I’m personally struggling to get anywhere in Resi 7 because it’s genuinely too scary to play. I’ve had it over a year and can’t get past the basement...

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

 

It treads a fine line for me, but I expect it may get less scary as you get more firepower, based on the trailer. 

 

I’m personally struggling to get anywhere in Resi 7 because it’s genuinely too scary to play. I’ve had it over a year and can’t get past the basement...

Interesting as that game develops exactly as you describe in your opening sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DC said:

Interesting as that game develops exactly as you describe in your opening sentence.

 

Well - good to know. Would be great to finish it before Resi 2 arrives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was mostly great but a couple of niggling things: when you press X on something instead of a description the item menu comes up, so I repeatedly clicked on the handgun for no reason whatsoever; when you quick turn the camera doesn’t always quick turn with you.

 

Apart from that, wonderful. Hopefully they’ll iron out the above.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

 

Well - good to know. Would be great to finish it before Resi 2 arrives.

Push through it.

 

The early bits nearly stopped me playing. Fuck knows how someone got through it in VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone fancies some Resi goodness before this arrives, I've just started Revelations 2 on the Switch and I'm suitably impressed.

It's the only one from the "main" series that I've not completed so now felt like the right time.

 

Looking forward to this blowing my balls off one its released (not touching the demo, want to go in fresh).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DC said:

The early bits nearly stopped me playing. Fuck knows how someone got through it in VR.

 

It got rather sweaty at times.

 

In VR it's easily the most intense gaming experience I've ever had. Felt quite an achievement to make it through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is fantastic but I think the wave of first-person horror games over the past few years must've rendered me totally incapable of shitting myself when I can see my character on the screen. After things like Alien Isolation, PT and Resi 7 this feels like a fast-paced action romp, which is obviously no bad thing at all. Maybe I should test this by playing Project Zero again since I had to go through that entirely in daylight after the first few hours way back when.

 

It runs really well on both the Pro and on my GTX 1060 (at 1080p), only slight frame drops in the reception room and minor boosts to image quality (mostly anti-aliasing) in favour of the latter. Think I'll get it on PS4 though as it just feels right on a Sony system.

 

I don't have anything HDR capable but found it pretty washed out even without it. I used the default settings on PS4 and manually adjusted them on PC but it didn't look anywhere near dark enough on either so I'm hoping being a bit more extreme might sort it out. The default brightness tends to be perfect in most games but I had to turn it way down in Monster Hunter too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DC said:

Push through it.

 

The early bits nearly stopped me playing. Fuck knows how someone got through it in VR.

 

Because it's the best survival horror experience created. It was the moment after Mario 64 that games genuinely changed again. I'm not saying it's better than RE4 as a game, but the experience is incredible. If you have VR, it's the difference between an 8 and an old 'revolutionary' EDGE 10.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The artists for this game must’ve had to study some pretty grotesque photos of mutilated bodies?! 

 

When you pull that guy out from under the metal shutter and his bottom half is missing... there’s a 3D model I wouldn’t want to work on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

The artists for this game must’ve had to study some pretty grotesque photos of mutilated bodies?! 

 

When you pull that guy out from under the metal shutter and his bottom half is missing... there’s a 3D model I wouldn’t want to work on!

 

I had the exact same thought at that point.  No thanks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, womblingfree said:

This was mostly great but a couple of niggling things: when you press X on something instead of a description the item menu comes up, so I repeatedly clicked on the handgun for no reason whatsoever

 

That was doing my head in. I kept reading the first line of the description of the handgun over and over. Bah! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

 

 

When you pull that guy out from under the metal shutter and his bottom half is missing...

 

“Just hang in there”

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed this way more than I expected to since the only Resident Evil I have enjoyed in the past was 4. Looks great and I didn't come across any jump scares (at least up to where I got to) which always feel cheap . I wasn't sure if the press X on a window and the item menu comes up thing was me not understanding some RE convention. Not quite good enough for me to pre-order but has sparked a renewed interest in RE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DC said:

You can nail planks of wood to those windows to stop zombies breaking in.

Ah right that makes sense then. I was expecting to climb through when I first tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dave7g said:

I bought Resi 4 since I'd never played it and it gets so much praise. The controls are fucking horrendous, why do people think this is fine?

Everyone else remembers playing it in 2002 or whenever. I will say you have to just work with the controls, it's part of the tension. I can't be bothered to play it now but I completed it repeatedly when it came out. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well they aren't very good now. I can tell you that. Some people didn't like the controls in the demo for Resi 2, and preferred Resi 4. That's baffling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dave7g said:

Well they aren't very good now. I can tell you that.

You're right. People are much more enlightened about control systems these days. *Covertly tries to brush RDR2's wild critical acclaim under the carpet without anyone noticing*

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose it's of it's time, I don't think I can be arsed adapting to it now. Red Dead doesn't have a free cam that snaps back leaving you with no idea what you're facing though does it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Everyone else remembers playing it in 2002 or whenever. I will say you have to just work with the controls, it's part of the tension. I can't be bothered to play it now but I completed it repeatedly when it came out. 

 

Yes.  I first played on the N64 (1999?).  Apparently that version is one of the best because of extra bells and whistles, not that I knew or cared at the time.  Being new to the whole zombies in video games thing, it took me several attempts just to reach the police station  :facepalm:.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.