Jump to content
Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

 

What about if you have dolby atmos coming through the stereo headphones? What game sound output should I go with?

 

I can't be totally certain without knowing what the options in-game will be but an educated guess is that you'll probably want the game set to 5.1 or 7.1 if some device (decoder in a headset) or software (Xbox dolby atmos app) outside of the game is doing the job of processing the sound into simulated 3D for your headphones. However, with binaural selected in-game, any dolby atmos spacial sound processing on top of that will likely mess the effect up.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sie said:

 

I can't be totally certain without knowing what the options in-game will be but an educated guess is that you'll probably want the game set to 5.1 or 7.1 if some device (decoder in a headset) or software (Xbox dolby atmos app) outside of the game is doing the job of processing the sound into simulated 3D for your headphones. However, with binaural selected in-game, any additional dolby atmos spacial sound processing on top of that will likely mess the effect up.

 

 

Hmm yeah I've got the dolby atmos app on my pc and a nice pair of stereo headphones so I'll give 7.1 a go when the game is out, cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In theory Atmos isn't going to do much for you unless you have more than 7.1 speakers. It's a new object oriented method of placing a sound in a 3d space. Instead of shooting all back right channel audio straight down the "back right" channel, objects are individually tracked in a 3d space and played back to the listener out of the most correct speaker, up to 128 speakers. Because the space it's modelling is 3 dimensional you can place speakers above and below you, which will play back the sounds of objects very high or low in the 3d space. So a plane flying overhead is a distinct individual object which can come out of any speaker, rather than being baked into a specific channel going to the specific speaker it's earmarked for.

 

Of course, games basically already do this because you're moving through a 3d environment full of specific sounds (ambience, gunshots, zombies etc) which are moving around the soundstage as the player looks around, and which are held in game memory as distinct objects which are then mixed to a channel. Atmos just allows you to have more speakers by doing away with the traditional concept of channels and assigning each object a height and 360' angle relative to the listener. 

 

For stereo headphones, it's just another type of virtual surround processing. I never get on with virtual spatial surround, just sounds a bit more echoey to me. But some people love it.

 

Anyway can't wait to play this, the reviews today are the icing on the cake, I'm already at hype level 100.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moz said:

In theory Atmos isn't going to do much for you unless you have more than 7.1 speakers. It's a new object oriented method of placing a sound in a 3d space. Instead of shooting all back right channel audio straight down the "back right" channel, objects are individually tracked in a 3d space and played back to the listener out of the most correct speaker, up to 128 speakers. Because the space it's modelling is 3 dimensional you can place speakers above and below you, which will play back the sounds of objects very high or low in the 3d space. So a plane flying overhead is a distinct individual object which can come out of any speaker, rather than being baked into a specific channel going to the specific speaker it's earmarked for.

 

Of course, games basically already do this because you're moving through a 3d environment full of specific sounds (ambience, gunshots, zombies etc) which are moving around the soundstage as the player looks around, and which are held in game memory as distinct objects which are then mixed to a channel. Atmos just allows you to have more speakers by doing away with the traditional concept of channels and assigning each object a height and 360' angle relative to the listener. 

 

For stereo headphones, it's just another type of virtual surround processing. I never get on with virtual spatial surround, just sounds a bit more echoey to me. But some people love it.

 

Anyway can't wait to play this, the reviews today are the icing on the cake, I'm already at hype level 100.

 

Right then, I'm really confused now. I'm just gonna have to go through the demo again, once with Dolby atmos set to 7.1 and then again with binaural and Dolby atmos off and try and hear the differance myself. All I know is, I played Gears of war 4 with Dolby atmos through my headphones and the sound was coming from everywhere(above and below), it was amazing.

 

And indeed, hype level 100. Youtube, Reddit, Resetera, everywhere it's RE2, must stay strong and stay away from reviews and spoilers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's this nonsense I'm reading about how you should play Claire A then Leon B then Leon A then Claire B, or whatever the hell the order was, on ResetEra? 

 

I didn't play the original and none of the explanations I've read are helping me to understand why I'm meant to play the game in an order that doesn't sound intuitive to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Max Damage said:

 

Right then, I'm really confused now. I'm just gonna have to go through the demo again, once with Dolby atmos set to 7.1 and then again with binaural and Dolby atmos off and try and hear the differance myself. All I know is, I played Gears of war 4 with Dolby atmos through my headphones and the sound was coming from everywhere(above and below), it was amazing.

 

And indeed, hype level 100. Youtube, Reddit, Resetera, everywhere it's RE2, must stay strong and stay away from reviews and spoilers.

 

I believe Gears4 supports Dolby Atmos. I don't recall this being this case for RE2 Remake. Your Atmos setup will likely upmix a 7.1 signal from the game and make it sound good but it won't be true Dolby Atmos.

 

Hopefully the binaural option is a true Dolby Atmos substitute and not just virtual surround sound.

 

Roll on Friday, I can't wait!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A heads up to PC players: it turns out the demo build is also the final build, so any issues you had there will be in the full game.

 

Quote

For starters, the DirectX 12 version is still slower than the DirectX 11 build, meaning that everyone should be using DX11 instead of DX12. From what we’ve seen so far, there aren’t any graphical differences between these two modes.

 

The game still prompts a warning message to users for using the higher quality textures, even though the game does not use as much VRAM as the graphics settings suggest. Furthermore, the reflections are still “fuzzy” and rendered in a really weird way that produce artifacts. Also, the 30fps zombie animations are not fixed.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the PC demo on a 1050 laptop and my 1080 home PC and it was flawless on both. Just ignore the calibration tools when setting up cos they wash out the blacks.

 

Ultra hyped for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all the big microsoft games support dolby atmos audio, as part of their goal to be perceived as having technical advantage over sony, who currently doesn’t have an atmos license with dolby.

if you’re using a speakers setup for outputting audio, you have to have at least two ‘height presence’ speakers for the atmos effect to kick in. if you don’t have the necessary speakers connected to the receiver then the receiver won’t switch to atmos mode.

my setup is 5.1.2 - the .2 (enabling atmos) coming from speakers placed on the wall & near the ceiling, either side of my tv, and aiming down a bit. certain applications use the atmos tech nicely, e.g. the halo mission on forza horizon 4 where the dropship flies around above you.

resi2 should be amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Majora said:

What's this nonsense I'm reading about how you should play Claire A then Leon B then Leon A then Claire B, or whatever the hell the order was, on ResetEra? 

 

I didn't play the original and none of the explanations I've read are helping me to understand why I'm meant to play the game in an order that doesn't sound intuitive to me.

 

In the original at least, playing one character's A scenario would unlock the other's B scenario, with the two crossing over at certain points. That way you played either Claire A followed by Leon B, or Leon B followed by Claire A. Claire A/Leon B was considered the canonical route, so if you were only going to play once then that's probably the order you should choose.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Majora said:

What's this nonsense I'm reading about how you should play Claire A then Leon B then Leon A then Claire B, or whatever the hell the order was, on ResetEra? 

 

I didn't play the original and none of the explanations I've read are helping me to understand why I'm meant to play the game in an order that doesn't sound intuitive to me.

 

Yeah it’s confusing. The original wasn’t confusing so not sure if that’s the game or the community at fault.

 

Basically there are two routes through the game, told from each charcters perspective. And when you finish it you can switch them round and play each route again with the other character. There are minor differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I'd read they've binned the A/B stuff for the remake so now you simply pick a character, with plenty of differences in the story to warrant playing through as both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played Leon A then Claire B without really thinking and it was fine. The crossovers are more streamlined (simplified really) so it doesn't matter as much. Having said that, the final boss fight will be your current main and I liked Claire getting the last say in that playthrough. The B scenario is shorter and you know the layout better so it's up to you really. But then I had the deluxe pistol so Claire was a bit easier at the start (her default has like 5 or 6 ammo limit which leads to frantic reloading).

 

Put simply, pick the character first that you don't want to have the climactic end of game fight after both scenarios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

I thought I'd read they've binned the A/B stuff for the remake so now you simply pick a character, with plenty of differences in the story to warrant playing through as both.

There is A and B still but it feels less intricately interlocking than the original. Finishing A unlocks the other character's B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Is Green Man Gaming legit, never used em before and they seem cheap for PC version.

 

Yep. Used them several times with no issues.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greennmangaming have been dodgy in the past - CDPR had a go at them for selling unauthorized keys. That was obviously a while ago though.

 

That said, I've never had any trouble with them (except for when they sent me a shitty "bonus" <£1 random game key with a preorder so they could later on refuse to cancel my preorder, as I'd "already seen the key"). CDKeys might be cheaper and they have surprisingly good customer support. They actually gave me a full refund over Batman Arkham Knight, even after using the cd key.

 

Edit: Voidu with the code WINTERMADNESS might be cheaper too. They are authorized, but their prices do vary.

 

I just played the PC demo (having played it the Xbox One X earlier) and it doesn't seem that different tbh. It does seem a little bit fuzzy but that could just be because I'm sat closer to my monitor than my TV. Weirdly enough it felt better with a controller I think - although the aiming is obviously easier with M&K.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

I thought I'd read they've binned the A/B stuff for the remake so now you simply pick a character, with plenty of differences in the story to warrant playing through as both.

 

IGN got it wrong in their review - you might have seen it there

 

bq758e1.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Radish said:

Greennmangaming have been dodgy in the past - CDPR had a go at them for selling unauthorized keys. That was obviously a while ago though.

 

That said, I've never had any trouble with them (except for when they sent me a shitty "bonus" <£1 random game key with a preorder so they could later on refuse to cancel my preorder, as I'd "already seen the key"). CDKeys might be cheaper and they have surprisingly good customer support. They actually gave me a full refund over Batman Arkham Knight, even after using the cd key.

 

Edit: Voidu with the code WINTERMADNESS might be cheaper too. They are authorized, but their prices do vary.

 

I just played the PC demo (having played it the Xbox One X earlier) and it doesn't seem that different tbh. It does seem a little bit fuzzy but that could just be because I'm sat closer to my monitor than my TV. Weirdly enough it felt better with a controller I think - although the aiming is obviously easier with M&K.

 

Hopefully they will be ok.

 

I have my PC into my TV and use a Xbox One controller so it seems the best idea for this one. I was tempted to get the Xbox One X version just because sometimes PC stuff seems to be a bit buggy, but the Demo and options was impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's true - adjusting the FoV is nice. I didn't actually check to see if you could do that on the X1X version though, so maybe you can there too.

 

GMG will almost certainly be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

 

IGN got it wrong in their review - you might have seen it there

 

bq758e1.jpg

 

 

 

I quite like Daemon Hatfield, but he does have previous for this sort of thing:

 

tweet-1.jpg

Honestly, I know that knocking IGN has become a meme but there are plenty of valid reasons to ignore their coverage. They announced back in 2014 that The Last Guardian has been cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

See, the problem there is you're reading ResetEra.

 

It's the most progressive gaming community on the entire internet. We should be grateful it manages to exist at all in the current landscape of alt-right gamergate shite. And unlike our cosy inconsequential little Middle England backwater, Resetera actually has occasional small impacts on the games industry as a whole.

  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 7
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cdkey code hasn't arrived yet, but i'm sure it will be here shortly.

 

I might play it like i did the original - Leon A Claire B. (or at least i'm sure that's how i did it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to the audio, will my PS4 Gold headset function with the fancy ‘stuff’ on the Xbox if I plug it in with a jack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.