Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

23 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Because it's being released for full price and there's a demo available. I'm really not sure why you're so upset.

Why would it be anything less than full price? It’s not a port.

And I’m always upset.

I've played through the demo about five times now :twisted: I don't know why someone negged my comment above, I think the things I mentioned are all reasonable and I'm actually playing through Resi rev 2 at the moment and that has dodging and knife finishing moves that doesn't feel over the top like Resi 6. That zombie slamming on the vendor machine you can sneak right up to if you're slow but no button prompt appeared to stab it in the head, could save you some ammo and reward you for being stealthy if you could.

I whacked all the settings to max including textures, fuck the warning it's bollocks, ran it at 1080p 120% resolution and it was a stead 60fps all the way and the game looks much better. I don't know why they insisted on a 30min time limit for the demo, it does disservice to all the work that has been done on the enviroments and it's not as though the actual demo is that long anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Day fucking 1. 

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Why are people calling the game old and saying it doesn’t hold up when it’s a brand new fucking game in a Resi 2 skin?

Unbelievable. 

It's not old old, but some of the gameplay conventions of yesteryear can appear a bit dated nowadays. I mean it's still clunky no matter what anyone says about it adding to the tension and the puzzles are a reminder of just how bizarre games once were, I mean why are there locking devices involving medallions in a police station that would feel more at home in Croft Manor? There's no escaping it really as it's a remake but, yeah, its systems, inventory management and interactions do feel - old. 

• Upvote 1

Real talk. Resi Rev 2 is legit like a terrible shovel ware rip-off of Resi 4. It has some good ideas and locations, but clearly didn’t have the budget to do them justice. The structure where you play a section with Claire then immediately replay it with Barry kills the momentum.

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

Real talk. Resi Rev 2 is legit like a terrible shovel ware rip-off of Resi 4. It has some good ideas and locations, but clearly didn’t have the budget to do them justice. The structure where you play a section with Claire then immediately replay it with Barry kills the pacing.

Yup, totally agree. I just want to get it finished as it's been in my library for ages, once it's done I'll never play it again.

On 11/01/2019 at 20:02, Bojangle said:

Worth a try, in my experience when an app decides to shit itself like that a good hard reset will fix it.

That fixed it BTW.

Decent demo, looks pretty good and sounds fantastic, but the gameplay is just a but too clunky for me. One for the sales I think..

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

Because it's being released for full price and there's a demo available. I'm really not sure why you're so upset.

It's not full price really, they're putting it out at 40 quid rrp, which is pretty good tbh.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Most of the interface, item management and environment interaction stuff has been brought over from Resi 7. It felt like a decent update of the old style there and works just as well here.

1 minute ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Most of the interface, item management and environment interaction stuff has been brought over from Resi 7. It felt like a decent update of the old style there and works just as well here.

The issue could be then that the shift from first to third person is a bit jarring, like in first person view you'd already have, say, a fuse box, filling your sight. But in third person you're pressing x which would ordinarily engage some kind of interaction but here it just shifts to first person whilst bringing up an inventory menu at the same time. You can tell it's not designed from the ground up for this game.

The problem with the 'click on object of interest, shows close up and also your inventory' thing is that the answer is missing.

When you click a highlighted world object you expect an answer. Not your inventory. It's bad design and it throws you for a loop because the original always gave you an answer. ("This door is locked." and so on.)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I like the idea of removing those kind of messages where possible. It keeps you within the scenario, rather than having some external voice telling you stuff.

The appearance of your inventory on screen means an item is needed. Looking at the door or whatever in front of you should give a clue as to what. I find it intuitive.

• Upvote 1

I've been watching youtubers play through this demo and I'm even more convinced now that the 30 minute time limit is genius. Yes you can easily dodge it but most people can't be arsed (or are content with their 30 mins). It takes about 20 mins to finish the demo anyway if you don't faff about too much, turns out I was only about 10 seconds from the end when my time ran out. For both building hype and generating PR the time limit has been brilliant. Its great to watch other people to see how they get on in their 30 mins and how far they can get. Its a talking point with friends to see whether they finished it and what details they may have missed. And as a survival horror demo it helps to generate even more stress and tension. Even the time limit itself has created a lot of discussion and raised awareness of the game.

Offhand I can't think of any games which have done this for a demo (although I know there must be some). I guess time limited Betas are similar. Anyway it's a really smart move by Capcom and I wouldn't be surprised to see more time limited demos in the future given the success of this one.

Regarding the click X on an interactive object and the inventory popping up, I agree its not that intuitive, although I picked it up immediately. I've seen plenty of players online get confused about it, especially from the windows prompt and the dark room sink. Still, I like the simplicity of it.

• Upvote 1

Not being able to shoot through windows and zombies that can't be killed until they're scripted to wake up is disappointing, the rest aren't too bad and some are kinda funny. The full game may fix some of these issues but if not I can happily ignore them and get on enjoying the game, none of them are deal breakers for me.

Cool video though, gonna have to check out that channel now.

21 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

Not being able to shoot through windows and zombies that can't be killed until they're scripted to wake up is disappointing, the rest aren't too bad and some are kinda funny. The full game may fix some of these issues but if not I can happily ignore them and get on enjoying the game, none of them are deal breakers for me.

Crowbcat’s videos about E3 and such are a great source of cringe.

24 minutes ago, Max Damage said:

It’s a linear game, not a simulation.

These restrictions are in place to allow an element of control in constructing first play surprises and set pieces. They are design choices, not faults.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

A deliberate choice can still stick out like a sore thumb.

You can’t slash through all the doors in Bloodborne. Sometimes your attacks clip through enemies and do no damage.

Wah wah wah.

• Downvote 3

Indeed, that happens. Many if not all games have things that are awkward and make you raise an eyebrow, and not being able to shoot a zombie through a thin pane of glass in Resident Evil 2 version 2 is silly. Not necessarily bad, just silly.

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

You can’t slash through all the doors in Bloodborne. Sometimes your attacks clip through enemies and do no damage.

Wah wah wah.

A door isn't a window and a sword isn't a gun though.

Smuggling a massive erection for this. Smyths at £35 collect isn't the best price so far isn't it?

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

It’s a linear game, not a simulation.

These restrictions are in place to allow an element of control in constructing first play surprises and set pieces. They are design choices, not faults.

I think this is the biggest issue. Because of the increase in realism nowadays visually, people expect every game to act as if it was real. 

People complaining about not being able to do this etc but not a flicker of comment when you remind them that lickers aren't even real. 

It's a game!

• Upvote 3