Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - no spoilers pls

I'm not saying the music should be changed composition-wise, I'm just saying it should be re-recorded, remastered and/or remixed.

The game's a remake. The music should be remade as well.

It should play like RE4, have RE6's melee mechanics and up the enemy count to justify the better combat.

*runs*

• Upvote 2

Resi 4 is great, but from there onwards it's so different that it may as well be a different series.

REmake showed how to do it - it needs to be faithful to the original, retaining the core mechanics and level design but refining and building on them.

Don't trust Capcom enough to do it right, but we'll see what happens. Making it play like 4 and above would indeed be a horror story. (wait...)

• Upvote 1

I don't imagine that they'd go with a pre rendered style for this. It might not be as faithful, but it would make the game much less appealing to modern audiences who didn't play the original.

The first REmake came before the series started to change direction and I don't really think it makes sense to go back now, as much as I hated RE6 (but loved 4 and 5).

I expect that the characters, story and setting are the only things that will remain. Those things alone will make it a million times better than recent efforts in the series.

I don't imagine that they'd go with a pre rendered style for this. It might not be as faithful, but it would make the game much less appealing to modern audiences who didn't play the original.

The first REmake came before the series started to change direction and I don't really think it makes sense to go back now, as much as I hated RE6 (but loved 4 and 5).

I expect that the characters, story and setting are the only things that will remain. Those things alone will make it a million times better than recent efforts in the series.

I think it will be pre-rendered, or at least have static cameras. The recent REmake remaster seems to have done far better than they expected, and the director of that and the upcoming REZero remaster recently said he'd speaking to Capcom about doing Resident Evil 2.

I think there's more of an audience for retro-style horror games than they or anyone else anticipated, even with all the recent kickstarter campaigns rescurrecting forgotten genres there hasn't been anything along those lines released for about a decade. The closest I've played recently was White Night, which is garbage.

• Upvote 1

It's probably not going to be released on the gamecube, so probably going to be full 3d.

the technology wasnt behind that decision, seeing as code veronica had gone full 3d before that. i think it'll be static cameras, else it'd not be RE2.

• Upvote 2

I really, really hope it isn't static cameras. I want it to superficially look like Resi 4, but to have more sporadic action and be fucking scary. Not too many jump scares, either, they're cheap and rubbish. I much prefer foreboding / dread and being too scared to play any further. Seeing a new creature from a distance and thinking WTF IS THAT. Dark Souls-scary, if you will.

RE2 is defined by its environment, and that environment wouldn't work without the trappings of elabourate camera angles and door animations. You could probably run from one end of the police station to the other in under a minute if it was just a traditional 3D building.

There's everything to lose and relatively little to gain by going fully 3D, this is the latest in a recent spate of nostalgia-based announcements and if it's changed to the point of being unrecognisable then there's no point. I'm not getting the impression this is the next mega-budget, must appeal to everyone all-or-nothing RE title (unlike the FF7 remake), more like their latest Revelations-style side project.

• Upvote 4

I suppose they could be full 3d backgrounds this time. After all they have to be modelled in 3d before they can be pre-rendered. They should try to do it along the lines of REmake though, with maybe some dynamic camera moves and other changes of angle. Or maybe they could just give you a choice between original and new playstyles.

That way, everyone will be happy! (Someone will still be unhappy.)

Great news though!

it simply has to have controlled cameras else it isnt RE2, and they might aswell make RE7 for players like spainkiller who want all action and combos.

• Upvote 2

It's probably not going to be released on the gamecube, so probably going to be full 3d.

See for me it's all about those static camera angles and not having free reign on how to move around. That's important to me to acheive this vibe. I played Code Veronica years later, and even though that was actual 3D, it still achieved the same sort of static forced camera vibe creating the right feel, regardless of whether the game was good enough or not (although I thought it was pretty decent). Dino Crisis did the same and so did Alone in the Dark. I see this more as an artistic decision and not just pandering to the needs of moving forwards because every other 3D game lets you rotate the cam at all times. It might have been a limitation thing back in the day, but it acheived that sense of restriction. There were cool moments where you'd be looking through a window inwards at the playable character walking down a corridor just for one scene. Sometimes like once only to give that impression you're being watched. Love all that.

• Upvote 1

it simply has to have controlled cameras else it isnt RE2, and they might aswell make RE7 for players like spainkiller who want all action and combos.

Bollocks. The camera angles aren't what made Resi 2 great, man. It was the tight design, the pacing, the replayability..

• Upvote 1

Bollocks. The camera angles aren't what made Resi 2 great, man. It was the tight design, the pacing, the replayability..

disagree - it made it feel like you were playing a zombie movie, rather than a generic over the shoulder game.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, there were so many generic 'over the shoulder games' in 1998! Wait, what?

well yes, like tomb raider, syphon filter, tenchu, the list is endless.

• Upvote 1

Pre-rendered and static-camera are two very different things. On this generation of consoles, I don't think there could be any possible advantage to pre-rendering backgrounds.

the technology wasnt behind that decision, seeing as code veronica had gone full 3d before that. i think it'll be static cameras, else it'd not be RE2.

You know, I think it was, since the gamecube couldn't render things that looked like this in real time -

66311-Resident_Evil_1-3.jpg

• Downvote 1

Pre-rendered and static-camera are two very different things. On this generation of consoles, I don't think there could be any possible advantage to pre-rendering backgrounds.

yes i know that pre rendered and static cameras are different things. on this generation of consoles with slower CPUs than the previous generation, there are huge advantages to using pre rendered backdrops. super detailed screens, held in RAM to minimise loading, chracter models that are cut scene quality.

an ideal remake of RE2 in my eyes should have super detailed pre render static camera screens, and incredibly detailed models. this is a remake, you dont remake something and entirely change the mechanics.

The tank controls won't be coming back, I'm positive of that. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to bring them back. The only reason the controls were like that in the first place was because it was the PS1 era and controlling a 3D space was still something designers were getting to grips with, even Resident Evil 4 had a variation on tank controls because action games were still only starting to make adjustments without going full on into being 3rd person shooters.

The whole point of a game remake is not to make the same thing again but nicer but to take what you made and make the product you wish you could have made back then but couldn't. If they do go back to tank controls then it will be a very brave or very lazy move that could make or break the game.

I doubt Hideki Kamiya would want to use tank controls if they were to get him in to direct again.

Dropping tank controls would not be changing the mechanics entirely either, the game would play differently yes but it would still be Resident Evil 2, you would still be running around a police station fighting zombies and solving puzzles, it would still essentially be the same game concept but told differently. Again this is a Remake, not a Remaster.

Either way if film taught me anything it is that shot for shot, frame for frame remakes are often a waste of time, you might as well not bother. If Capcom are smart they'll look at what Crystal Dynamics did when they made Tomb Raider Anniversary and follow that as an example of what they should be doing.