mushashi

The Man in the High Castle

The BBC have commissioned Howard Brenton (Spooks writer) to do a 4-part mini-series of the Philip K Dick alternative history-themed award winning novel, The Man in the High Castle, and Ridley Scott is producing it, could be decent :)

Set in the 1960s in an alternative scenario where the Axis forces defeated the Allies in the second world war, the drama will be co-produced by Scott's independent production company Scott Free Films.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/07/ridley-scott-sci-fi-philip-k-dick-bbc-drama

man_in_the_high_castle.jpg

Interesting project. The book itself was good and bad for me, the premise was intriguing and some of the average lifestyle/culture of a citizen displayed within equally so, but Dick did get away from himself at points and make giant info-dumps on the reader which felt like wading through treacle. Also, it just sort of ended abruptly, so they'll probably need to spin that out a bit more.

Between this, The Forever War, and Brave New World, Scott seems to be trying to adapt a whole slew of classic SF novels. What with the Alien prequel(s) as well, you wonder if he’s going to have time to do any of it.

He's written primarily earlier episodes of the series, was it as shit back then?

"Spooks" (13 episodes )

... aka "MI-5" - USA

1. Episode #1.4 (4 June 2002) - Writer (written by) (uncredited)

2. Episode #1.5 (10 June 2002) - Writer (written by) (uncredited)

3. Episode #1.6 (17 June 2002) - Writer (written by) (uncredited)

4. Episode #2.2 (9 June 2003) - Writer (written by) (uncredited)

5. Episode #2.4 (23 June 2003) - Writer (written by) (uncredited)

6. Episode #2.5 (7 July 2003) - Writer (written by) (uncredited)

7. Episode #2.10 (11 August 2003) - Writer (written by) (uncredited)

8. Episode #3.1 (11 October 2004) - Writer (writer)

9. Episode #3.2 (18 October 2004) - Writer (writer)

10. Episode #3.8 (29 November 2004) - Writer (writer)

11. Episode #4.4 (29 September 2005) - Writer (writer)

12. Episode #4.8 (27 October 2005) - Writer (writer)

13. Episode #4.10 (10 November 2005) - Writer (writer)

Yeah, but this is an adaption of an existing work, he just has to do a decent script and allow the other creatives in the process to have a sound base to work from, nobody is asking him to create an entirely new fiction (I hope).

I hope this isn't shit, book is one of my K. Dick faves. First At the Mountains of Madness and now this.

I bet you HBO announce an adaptation of G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday next week. I would wank myself silly.

I hope this isn't shit, book is one of my K. Dick faves. First At the Mountains of Madness and now this.

I bet you HBO announce an adaptation of G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday next week. I would wank myself silly.

I love The Man Who Was Thursday, but I reckon the wacky ending makes it almost entirely un-filmable. Thank God.

• Upvote 1

Alpha House and Betas came from the first round, though Betas only got one season. Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, Bosch and The After coming later this year or early next year from the second round.

Dave Chen is an utter cock but I like the lady on the GoT podcast, she's excellent.

I watched this on Amazon and like many Phillip K Dick stories the premise was immediately grabbing, and I'd happily watch a full season of it - the casting seemed odd with all the leads a bit 'wrong' but I saw enough to want more.

Annoyingly they shoot all their own content in 4k but hide it in a bespoke section, meaning I watched it in normal HD.

So, while I enjoyed this, it's nothing like how far I am with the book. I'm on a second read, because my first attempt was years ago. I think there was only one character name I recognized, although I was in a noisy environment so may have missed them.

Whether or not it's following the book, though, I enjoyed it. Not sure what the process is for up voting Amazon pilots.

I like Chen. I can definitely see why people don't like him though. He does talk a lot about himself on the podcast compared to the others, but I've grown to enjoy his social awkwardness. I also really like the relationship he has with Tobolowsky.

The slashfilm cast has become a must listen over the 8 years or so I've been listening? Or 7, can't remember how long, but it's been ages. I did go off it for a bit, but I often get indie film and TV recommendations there now that I never hear being mentioned anywhere else.

I finally got round to sticking the pilot on last week. Made it about 30 mins in and put it off. Terrible acting and it looks horrible, very syfy.

• Downvote 1

No topic on this yet? I loved the pilot episode and the show has a great concept - an alternate history where the Nazis actually won WW2. Check out the trailer:

Anyone seen it?

• Upvote 1

There is a thread. Castle, not Tower.

I liked the concept and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. Like that bit with the film

showing Allied victory celebrations when they apparently actually lost. What's going on there?

Not having seen the pilot, but AFAIR the book had the hero somehow getting glances into a parallel universe where the Allies had won the war, i.e. our universe. Your typical PKD mindfuck.

(Not really much of a spoiler, but it's a reply to the previous spoiler...)