rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

World of Warcraft subs down (Again). New Expansion announcement today

Since the Online folder WoW thread doesn't get much visibility apart from people playing the game I thought I'd mention this here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-05-world-of-warcraft-subscriptions-at-nine-year-low-with-5-6-million

World of Warcraft subscribers dropped down to 5.6 million at the end of June 2015, Activision Blizzard announced in its latest financial report.

This makes it the least popular WoW's been since 2005.

Now it's still a massive game bringing in plenty of coin for ActiBlizz but realistically what do Blizzard do going forward? We shall find out in about 8 hours as Blizzard are set to announce the next expansion at Gamescon. Will it be enough? How low do sub numbers have to go before something drastic happens? Why no WoW2?

These days I have to be very, very interested in something to want to pay a monthly sub. I go back to WoW sometimes and I enjoyed the last expansion for a bit but eventually it became too much of a chore. Especially since I don't like raiding much. I think Blizz missed a trick by not letting you manage your garrison while not in the game.

Despite me not playing currently I'm definitely looking forward to the announcement later. WoW expansion launches are always exciting and this time I'm extra curious to see what they have up their sleeves (If anything) to try and stem the loss.

Also it'd be fucking nice if they'd do an Alliance focused expansion this time. I'm sick of fucking orcs.

• Upvote 3

NEG thinks modern WoW is rubbish compared to vanilla WoW, and he loves telling us at every chance, much to the amusing annoyance of almost everyone else.

In my opinion (as someone who played the game from Vanilla through TBC, Wrath and then Cata and recently coming back for WoD) he's right in some regards. Modern WoW is definitely lacking the "journey" that was present in Vanilla WoW when almost everything required effort. Even something as simple as getting your first mount, paying for your latest skills and flying somewhere required a real time investment for you to be able to afford it. In reality, nobody wants to spend hours running around on foot. It's arguably better that you get mounts at 20 now, that you can obtain mounts that you can use from level 1. Nobody enjoys running around when levelling alts, it's boring and slow. But yes, you do lose that sense of achievement when you finally earn that mount.

I'd probably play on an official Vanilla server if they ever opened one up, just to experience what it was like again. It was over ten years ago now (which in itself is crazy!) but I suspect I wouldn't hang around for long. My life is totally different now and I just don't have that level of time to dedicate to the game. Back when WoW first launched, I'd just finished college, was newly unemployed, living at home and WoW took literally all my free time. Kinda depressing looking back. In reality I much prefer how WoW is these days. If I have a spare hour I can pop on and do something, and gearing up is so easy that even if I haven't played for weeks I never feel like I've fallen behind. I should add I don't care for raiding any more, I had my fair share of that in the Vanilla/TBC days.

• Upvote 3

They just did a literal whole expansion based on nostalgia for TBC, and that led to the current lowest subscribers ever.

People who think nostalgia improves anything are idiots.

It's to do with a lot more than setting. The game itself didn't reverse to TBC, sadly. Even from a setting prospective they failed, Draenor doesn't have all the zone areas Outland did.

Care to fill me in?

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/109020-the-random-wow-thread/

Start from around Mid-Wrath (when my complaining starts) and enjoy. I'm tired of telling my dislikes to people that act oblivious (as if my thoughts are imaginary and unbelievable) to the things I used to enjoy about WoW.

Brief summary:

- Community. It's dead. No need to know people to do quests. No need to know people to do dungeons. No need to know people to raid.

- Any sense of long term goal/s. Gone. See the raid as soon as it opens. No attunements to look 'forward' to a piece of content. Staying online or subbed matters little. Rep grinds artificially day gated rather then grinded at your own pace.

- Classes. Too homogenized. Turned to shit.

- Dealing with packs of enemies. Too simplified. Watching your aggro was gameplay. Needing to sheep normal mobs was gameplay.

- Gear. No longer feels worthwhile. No point when I've already 'seen' and will be able to 'see' everything even naked if I wanted to. There is no gain in my stats in a game where LFR and mindlessly easy dungeons exist.

- Leveling, destroyed. Outside of no longer a journey from lack of people to meet, why care if it does indeed take 50 days played or more to reach max level? Do you want to be a priest at max level? Okay, go do it. It's gameplay, and leveling alts once upon a time extended the likelihood of you playing. Complaining about the time it takes is childish. It's called a video game for a reason. It has questing for a reason. It's one of the fucking reasons the game became World of Raids and fuck all else. Well done, idiots.

...sigh. ::deep breath::

The biggest point is community. Who you are on the realm once upon a time mattered. How you behaved towards others on that realm mattered. It helped the sense of being in a living, breathing world. Now we're just fortunate statistics towards others, at best.

Proper WoW died with being able to buy tier shortly after Uludar's release (or whatever the specific token change at the time was, I forget, I think it was dungeons = tier rewards), and then it's corpse pissed on proper once multi-realm dungeons became a thing in the Icecrown patch. The game only getting worse from there (Cata and beyond).

I really am tired of bitching about WoW, honest. It can continue deservedly burning, as they would need to change too much at this point to become anywhere close to the old design that made the game worth it's salt.

It's not worth my piss now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You have some good points intermixed with odd rants and random bouts of swearing. I agree that the community has suffered (though I play on a low population realm and I'd be interested to see what a high pop realm is like). I also agree about the lack of long term goals. Well, I think the game has them but they're just utterly meaningless and don't feel worthwhile. For an example just look at what reputations became in WoD.

However, the rest of it I would question. Were classes really that good back in TBC? Was a destruction warlock really that compelling to play? Healing feels better now than it used to and I like active mitigation system that tanks have. I can sort of see your point about threat generation not being an issue anymore, but they instead made tanks focus on staying alive through cooldown and resource management. That's far more in keeping with the theme of tanking and is more satisfying than just making sure your threat stays above the highest DPS. It actually feels like a struggle to stay alive, not a struggle to make sure your number is higher than the DPS next to you.

I don't even really know what to say about your leveling paragraph. Is it actually good gameplay to have to spend 50 days leveling another character? Is it actually childish to suggest that maybe there is a better way to do things? You end by saying "it's called a videogame for a reason" as if pointless grinding and time sinks for the sake of them define what a video game is. Video games are fun. That is what you focus on. Not some bullshit "you have to play 50 days before you can have a max level priest because that's gameplay and that means you play the game for longer and that's what videogames are about not world of raidcraft and you're all childish idiots".

They had to cut down leveling. Very few people would have the time to do 1-100 if you had to spend just as long on 1-60 now as you did when it was still the main game. I would like to see a Guild Wars 2 style scaling system so that you can pick and choose which zone (or even expansion) to level in. Sure, you'd still reach level 100 before you ran out of zones to quest in but you'd be able to pick and choose where to go and if you decided to level another character you could then do something completely different.

• Upvote 3

I urge anyone that wanna try out Vanilla WoW to join one of the private servers out there. I'm currently playing on one and having a blast. Level 15 on my human priest and already had the pleasure of getting ganked by a 60 rogue in Redridge. It isn't just nostalgia, WoW was a really good game back then.

• Upvote 1

F2p.

No impossible, up to the upcoming expansion and then you have to pay perhaps? Can't really see the very limited F2P to level 20 with heavy restrictions bringing in many players.

You have some good points intermixed with odd rants and random bouts of swearing.

When you see something you love ruined it's hard not to be passionate about it, though I'm long recovered from the days where I used to still give them money AND bitch about it, making myself ill in hopes of assuming so-called game designers are, in fact, not that stupid. Surely? (nope, they are)

I'm happy what I love is alive in private servers. If Blizzard improve the live game no longer matters much, other then not wanting Blizzard to explode, obviously, as there's still people in there that are great. Hearthstone deserves the playerbase it's gotten, so does Heroes of the Storm. That's sadly the future of Blizzard. Not a MMO they've forgotten how to make appeal to MMO players.

However, the rest of it I would question. Were classes really that good back in TBC? Was a destruction warlock really that compelling to play? Healing feels better now than it used to and I like active mitigation system that tanks have. I can sort of see your point about threat generation not being an issue anymore, but they instead made tanks focus on staying alive through cooldown and resource management. That's far more in keeping with the theme of tanking and is more satisfying than just making sure your threat stays above the highest DPS. It actually feels like a struggle to stay alive, not a struggle to make sure your number is higher than the DPS next to you.

You can have both. Tanks staying alive and aggro still being a thing for DPS and Healers. (even healers got aggro if they weren't careful, remember those days?)

I don't even really know what to say about your leveling paragraph. Is it actually good gameplay to have to spend 50 days leveling another character? Is it actually childish to suggest that maybe there is a better way to do things?

Look at the leveling gameplay you have now. Do you call that meaningful leveling, at all? It's not just the time investment but everything else that used to go with it.

Eg:

Traveling halfway around the world to find some mcguffin, oh hey a cool area, maybe I should hang out around here for a bit before returning? Or hell, lets explore the map FOR THE HELL OF IT (well, and exp). Oh crap a PVP player! run run run! Oh hey a group quest, lets ask around maybe I can get it done today? I can't? No worries theres always tomorrow. Or I'll just level up enough and do it myself, that'll be it's own satisfaction. CHOICES.

I'm not implying it should be a certain set of hours to ding a certain level, but it should be a journey, even for veterans. Does your alt mean so little to you that you want to rush to max? Even if its just for the sake of your guild/raiding, it's selfish mentality. People dinged so fast even in Cata they were clueless about their class. It may sound stupid to tell you to have some respect for your character, but I'm not sure how to describe the process of old-school leveling either. Is it boring doing the same quests over and over? Only if you want to. Noone levels characters one after the other straight away. You know what to expect from the front door, like every other video game. Listening to people (and eventually the old team getting moved off or leaving) was very much childish and idiotic indeed.

It was a sad slow realization that they have no idea what made this game appealing to the 'older' players that once played it, whilst having no idea how to keep the newer players they based their 'no one matters but you, it's now a single player game' philosophies on. Those newer players had less respect/love/commitment for the game to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Chris Metzen shall now come up and show off his penis.

By that I mean his lore writing skills.

Or lack of.

Hey guys more orcs. And Illidan.

I am not even slightly excited. Shame. Because like WoD I'd have been willing to go back and take a look if it looked even a bit interesting.

It's the stream buffering as much for everyone else?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/legion/

Let the hunt begin

The Tomb of Sargeras has been reopened, and the demons of the Burning Legion pour into our world. Their full, terrifying might is fixed on summoning the Dark Titan to Azeroth—and they’ve already located the key to his return.

With the Alliance and Horde devastated, only you can take up Warcraft’s most legendary artifacts, scour the ancient Broken Isles for relics of the Titans, and challenge the Legion before Azeroth’s last hope dies.

Steel yourself, champion. Extinction is imminent.

Loads of info on the site

Yay. Sargeras.

Lots of players did want that back in the day, including myself. He was always assumed the most powerful in lore to face against. WoW:The End if we ever got there, basically.

It'll still mean seeing Sargeras die in one go in a stupid LFR group, though.

Actual legion based expansion in old mechanics WoW I would have been loving all of this right now. (although noticably light in features)

It's sour for current players that might be getting bored of killing legion'y things already right now though. Expansions should be whole new settings, return to legion a while later, not straight after your previous piece of content. Outland to Northrend, Northrend to crazy underwater world and fiery world, that to Pandaland. Know what I mean?

And Emerald Dream

Dalaran is moved again to be the hub! Woo.

It's feeling like an everything and kitchen sink expac....either it's been worked on for a while, or it's months and months away, and/or lots will becut