rllmuk
Yoshimax

Crackdown 3

38 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Now for the orbs, rings and the rest of my powers... 

Both of those are painful. I'm not going to bother with the former because the visibility of orbs is dreadful, and for the latter I'd really recommend starting a new world to carry on upgrading in - I just did it in one run and it was beyond tedious. I'd definitely recommend using agent DNA with boosts to firearms and agility, the rest are far easier to level up.

Not sure how I feel about this, I've written this post several times and scrapped it. I obviously enjoyed it as I've finished it and completed everything you can do in it bar the orbs and stunt rings, all stats upgraded to max (no achievement for that, which is strange because it actually is an achievement - actually, for me finishing a game is even more of an achievement :) ). It felt Crackdown enough, sometimes more, sometimes less. Liked a lot of the silly little touches, "gotta go fast" from a terrified citizen legging it and so on. Played it on Super Agent and it was largely a breeze, until the warping guys and dome shield guys where you could easily find yourself dead in a couple of seconds. Bosses were also fairly simple if you follow the map in the sort of clockwise spiral you're sort of encouraged to go in, doing everything on the way... 'til I got to Ngata where I reckon I died more than I did in the entire game til that point, I lost count of the restarts.

Kind of felt there wasn't enough to do in the world as it was all much of a muchness, orb hunting wasn't much fun as they were all largely simple to get with little thought, that's when you can see them because the draw distance on them is a real disappointment, getting to the top of my first tower to scan for orbs to chase down and seeing sod all because they don't get drawn in 'til you're pretty close to them. I'd have loved more rooftop races, and even the car races were good once you got used to them and didn't launch the controller when your car got catapulted into the air for driving over a grain of sand for the nth time.

Maxing out the stats was weird given I did it in one run meaning that I didn't really get to make use of any of the Max abilities - definitely not of Agility and Firearms, which I finished off just after beating Niemand and would have been way useful albeit a bit game breaking in the case of the former (and being on 5.99 agility and having no idea where any orbs are or how many you're going to need to get to Max was bloody horrible. Think it was 6 in the end, mostly 4* orbs and finding them was like pulling teeth). I guess the idea is to get most of the way on one run then hit them in the middle of the second and make use of them for the rest of that play, but as it is I've no inclination to play the game again. Saying that I did pop it on Rookie to see how fast I could complete it and at least see what I could do for a few minutes, lost my bearings a bit but was still able to get to the credits in 20 minutes so that was pretty cool - a speedrun achievement would have been good to give people something to aim for maybe, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could halve that. 

Overall it just feels like it's missing a little something, but decent nonetheless. It's just more Crackdown, little different to how it was. Glad it's on gamepass / 10. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, stefcha said:

Both of those are painful. I'm not going to bother with the former because the visibility of orbs is dreadful, and for the latter I'd really recommend starting a new world to carry on upgrading in - I just did it in one run and it was beyond tedious. I'd definitely recommend using agent DNA with boosts to firearms and agility, the rest are far easier to level up.

Silly question, but how does this work? You effectively started over but with an agent who gained firearms/agility faster?

I hit max fists a while ago, and max rockets last night. Silly thing is, I've only got the final boss left so I'm not keen to use either now. It's all guns guns guns, for which I'm about 5.7. I guess if you replay it on harder difficulty, this all comes into its own? Maybe that's the point. I did manage to get driving up to 4.7, which is nice. I just wish I could figure out how to drive up walls, because a fair few stunt rings are up high. Plus, I want that one on the side of the tower, which I assume also triggers that jump off a 3000 foot building in a car achievement. 

Fair point on draw distance. I love to get up high at night, where they're easier to spot, but their visibility doesn't match the game's impressive draw distance.

11 hours ago, stefcha said:

The draw distance on them is a real disappointment, getting to the top of my first tower to scan for orbs to chase down and seeing sod all because they don't get drawn in 'til you're pretty close to them

Actually, this is true. Surely they should have almost unlimited draw distance? I guess that might make them a bit easy to see if other scenery isn’t drawn around it, but it could definitely be improved from what it is. I think I have about 12 left, but whenever I find one it feels like I need to be on top of it before it appears.

• Upvote 2

In terms of higher stunt rings I tend to pick up my car and carry it to a higher point near the ring, then just drive from there. I do find the wall driving a bit haphazard to say the least. For me the driving is by far the weakest element of the game. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TehStu said:

Silly question, but how does this work? You effectively started over but with an agent who gained firearms/agility faster?

I didn't, hence the pain, but I suspect that's what you're supposed to do although there's not enough variety to want to do so to be honest. You've your agent save slot which then has world sub saves in which you can start a new world on a new - or the same - difficulty but your agent XP persists throughout. Orb collection also persists, but I think all other world events (anything on the map) resets so if you've completed one world and are struggling for orbs I guess you could upgrade your agility by starting another world, doing the intro area then going straight for the roof races. Agent DNA you can swap at any loadout area in any world, and just lets you pick a new agent skin with a 10% exp bonus in one skill, and 5% in another. 

I hit max fists a while ago, and max rockets last night. Silly thing is, I've only got the final boss left so I'm not keen to use either now. It's all guns guns guns, for which I'm about 5.7. I guess if you replay it on harder difficulty, this all comes into its own? Maybe that's the point.

It probably is, but I played on Super Agent from the off and so I didn't get to use any of the effects of maxing the abilities 'til I was just about done with the game (after, in the case of firearms, agility). Trying it on legendary or whatever is it doesn't appeal as I can only imagine it'll make those late game instadeath moments more prevalent, so even with slightly better firepower I'd probably just be hiding a lot more when the fun of it is wading in and causing chaos. 

I did manage to get driving up to 4.7, which is nice. I just wish I could figure out how to drive up walls, because a fair few stunt rings are up high. Plus, I want that one on the side of the tower, which I assume also triggers that jump off a 3000 foot building in a car achievement. 

Fair point on draw distance. I love to get up high at night, where they're easier to spot, but their visibility doesn't match the game's impressive draw distance.

Driving up walls is just change to the spider form of your agency car, hold x to charge a jump and then pull back. You're then glued to whatever vertical surface you manage to land on, although I think that car is made of silly putty or something as it's not anywhere as easy as it sounds, so generally I just pick up the agency car and carry it where I need it to be. Not expecting to see orbs city-wide, but there were a lot of times when there were 10 or 12 orbs left in an area and I couldn't see any, meaning I had to inch about until they hopefully came into view somewhere, which kind of takes away the bad assery of it.

• Upvote 1

We're still looking into various ways to make those last few orbs easier to spot. They have their own draw distance which is pushed out quite far above standard objects, but we have limit it still, not least as they are an animated VFX and a light source, if we uncapped it, it'd hit the frame rate (in fact it did, we tried it). Mind you, if there aren't that many left, we might be able to shove it out a bit...

If you're finding it slow to get those last few skills up, you have options. Play Co-Op as XP is doubled, plus you get bonus XP if you are close to another player. Trigger a lockdown as you get a never ending supply of things to shoot, or start a new World which will be repopulated with things to kill, plus you get XP each time you finish an objective on the map. The MAX level skills were supposed to be rewarded to folks doing a second playthrough, hence they're tuned to take a while to get.

I'll be taking a look at the video Boozy posted up later, I've heard it's doing the rounds in the office but I've been off since Wednesday. Be interesting to see what they feel we downgraded :)

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

It totally didn't occur to me to pick my car up and carry it to the higher up stunt rings. I'll give that a whirl :)

Ditto, I feel really stupid right now. :facepalm:

10 hours ago, koefoed said:

Ditto, I feel really stupid right now. :facepalm:

Works well, got quite a few tonight! Up to 5.1 driving. I did actually manage to drive vertically up a building too, bit of a chew but you'll probably need it for the ones you can't easily jump up to, or leap down onto, while hefting a car above your head.

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

Works well, got quite a few tonight! Up to 5.1 driving. 

Another way to up your driving skill is to use your tank form to destroy a convoy, then just sit there shooting the shit that comes after you as a result until your tank dies.

Think I was most of the way there having got gold on all race events and with 3/4 of the stunt rings in the bag, couldn't be bothered finding the remaining rings so just did that.

• Upvote 1

I've just finished the first Crackdown and had a real blast with it. It really is a genuine Xbox classic which still holds up incredibly well. As MS are being kind enough to give the sequel away right now, I rolled straight into that and what a difference! It wears the skin of the first game and the nuts and bolts of the gameplay are mostly the same, but it feels like a joyless rehash. Everything is a lot gloomier, the structure lacks the purity of the first games assignment to take down three main bosses and whilst you can tell they have tried to keep it all more varied, I think a big part of Crackdown's appeal was how little it steered you.

Anyhoo, as I'm still in a Crackdown mood, I'm wondering whether it's worth persevering with the second game to see if it gets any better (or I adapt to the new structure and elements) or jump straight to Crackdown 3. Is Crackdown 3 more of a return to the style of the first game? My sense is it is, but just wanted to check in to make sure. :) 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I've just finished the first Crackdown and had a real blast with it. It really is a genuine Xbox classic which still holds up incredibly well. As MS are being kind enough to give the sequel away right now, I rolled straight into that and what a difference! It wears the skin of the first game and the nuts and bolts of the gameplay are mostly the same, but it feels like a joyless rehash. Everything is a lot gloomier, the structure lacks the purity of the first games assignment to take down three main bosses and whilst you can tell they have tried to keep it all more varied, I think a big part of Crackdown's appeal was how little it steered you.

Anyhoo, as I'm still in a Crackdown mood, I'm wondering whether it's worth persevering with the second game to see if it gets any better (or I adapt to the new structure and elements) or jump straight to Crackdown 3. Is Crackdown 3 more of a return to the style of the first game? My sense is it is, but just wanted to check in to make sure. :) 

You'll be in Crackdown heaven with the 3rd game, agent.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Bin off the sequel, it’s crap. Crackdown 3 is wonderful. The first hour or so feels a little directionless, but when you start making your way around the map it opens up and it’ll grab you like the first game did.

14 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Snores for bores, Agent. Load up Crackdown 3 and get out there. 

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

You'll be in Crackdown heaven with the 3rd game, agent.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Bin off the sequel, it’s crap. Crackdown 3 is wonderful. The first hour or so feels a little directionless, but when you start making your way around the map it opens up and it’ll grab you like the first game did.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Snores for bores, Agent. Load up Crackdown 3 and get out there. 

Sounds pretty unanimous. :D

Right, I'll make it my pay day treat!

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Sounds pretty unanimous. :D

Right, I'll make it my pay day treat!

It's free with gamepass :).

59 minutes ago, womble9 said:

It's free with gamepass :).

Yes I've been considering that, especially with the €1 trial offer!

Mini-bump. If folk have the game, a bunch of free DLC launched today. Including Keys to the City for Campaign and a whole gamut of character customisation for Wrecking Zone. 

Trailer here...

• Upvote 8

Keys to The City is out now as a free update and it is pretty comprehensive and, in some ways, completely bonkers.

Still spawning 50 bouncy beach balls and then lobbing a grande in the middle will never get old. 

• Upvote 3

For what it's worth, I've had about as much fun with this as any game this gen. I think it's been the perfect evolution of the franchise, which thankfully didn't choose to get stuck in the mud of incorporating endless fetch quests or tedious character development. This was just twenty odd hours of solid fun, the devs totally got the franchise and knew how to ramp it all up without losing the essence of what made the first game so much fun.

• Upvote 7

Greetings Agents!

Today we bring you the Flying High update for Crackdown 3 Campaign. In this update you will find an Agency Wingsuit. Take to the skies and compete in Wingsuit races. Bring MORE BOOM to the game with all new weapons like the Cluster Duck grenade, Hellstorm Flare or Agency Peacekeeper Beacon. Last but not least, we have FOUR MORE elemental melee weapons like the Flaming Sword, Electric Hammer, Ice Mace and Chimera Axe. Go to town and collect 14 new achievements and 500 Gamerscore.

To help Agents complete the Orb Hunter and Orb Master achievements, we’ve made a couple key adjustments:

Once you collect 75% of all Agility Orbs in the game, we’re boosting the signal for any remaining ones, meaning you’ll now be able to see and hear them from farther away.

Similarly, once you collect 75% of all Hidden Orbs, you’ll now be able to hear remaining ones from farther away.  (Obviously since they’re “hidden”, you still have to look around and find them in the world. We can’t make it too easy on you.)

Remember: You can track your Orb collection stats on the “Select Agent” screen in-game, or by checking your progress toward Crackdown 3 Achievements.

• Upvote 6

Great news on the orb update! I got very close to 100%, but after spending hours and hours jumping around the same area I figured I should do something more productive with my life and moved on. I’ll definitely go back to get the last few.

It nice they're doing this but it seems pretty pointless by now. Even I finished and deleted it months ago and it's not like I'm quick at getting through games, there's not really much reason to go back to experience any of this sadly. I've actually been playing Prototype on 360 most recently, and some of the stuff in there made me wish they'd gone for the sort of mental traversal options available there (albeit refined, it is pretty rough but then it's ten years old) throughout. The orb hunting never caught me in the same way as Crackdown 1 did either, it was the lack of draw distance visibility that did for it so seeing that they become more visible once you collect 75%... surely if you're looking right at them from afar they should be visible anyway?! The fun was always seeing them and wildly bounding after them and seeing you could actually scale your way to where they were, after all. 

I might have to go back to this after that there orb update. Not that that was my primary issue with the game...

Seems like an easy way to pull people back in. I stopped playing after completing the campaign and still have lots to do. Think I might go back and try the wingsuit out. 

Still probably my favourite game this year (though I haven’t played many).