Crackdown 3

Yoshimax

5 minutes ago, S0L said:

I don’t need or want people to dance around me, I’ve been here a long time and I respect a lot of folks views on here. Obviously I want people to like the game, its been a pretty serious investment of time from me and the rest of the team, but I spend time here not as a dev, but a gamer. I’ve bought things on the strength of peoples passion here and I’ve equally skipped things.

Forgive me a slight professional curiosity though ;)

Wait, did you work on this game?

Having played the 360 original last week, which itself is now upscaled to 4K, this is leagues ahead visually, I really like that kind of urban Tron look they've gone for, it has great draw distance too. 

It's a better open world game than RDR2. 

I've put about three hours into it now. If being honest the thing I find most disappointing with it is the missing 'feature' that the original premise of the game was sold upon. There was a strong concept planted very early on that you'd be able to take down a boss in a myriad of ways. The idea that you'd be able to demolish a building housing a boss [explosives, rpg whatever] was something that seemed like a nice 'next gen' evolution over the original, To see the campaign in 2019 with no environmental damage at all is more than a little disappointing. A destructable world seems like the next logical step for a game of this type. Maybe next gen? please?

Exclusives are a weird sell this gen as reviewers seem to expect what Playstation are turning out for the core mass market while traditional videogames are just not appreciated anymore.

This really shouldn't have taken five years to surface and that's something that sits firmly with MS and the early development hell of multiple devs trying to implement something they clearly couldn't... yet, If you're an old fart like me you'll find it a fun game and it'll be entertaining. If you started gaming in 1995 you're probably too cool for it and will want to keep up the fasad of what a modern game has to feature to be relevant.

Commercial reviews these days seem more pointless than ever. Play what you think you'll enjoy.

1 minute ago, Revival said:

Commercial reviews these days seem more pointless than ever. Play what you think you'll enjoy.

I agree, apart from really well written and entertaining ones, regardless of verdict, reviews are entirely pointless. I never buy a game based on a review anymore.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Wow! This is utter shit. The intro is pure cringe, the gameplay is ten years old, and the graphics are wank - HDR aside it looks like a 4k remaster of a 360 launch game. I'm not one for wanting 60fps in games, but I'm on a One X. Why is this locked to 30fps?  I see nothing happening graphically that means it shouldn't be running at a solid 60fps.

Fucking hell. After all this time, this is what they've come up with?  

Pathetic. 

So predictable.

Reactionary attention seeking cunt :)

1 hour ago, S0L said:

Campaign side, yup. Some other posters worked on Wrecking Zone. Devs are everywhere man.

Okay. Now I feel bad. You just humanised the game for me.

Let me rein it in a bit, and offer some genuine critique. 

I know I sometimes post like a young idiot, but I've been gaming for well over 30 years. First impressions count for a lot when it comes to games. And for me this did not give a good first impression at all. The intro really is pure cringe. I love Terry Crews - who doesn't?  But he was overacting to the point of distraction, and the dialogue was all "ooh-rah" clichés. Visually at least the intro looked nice. 

Then it cut to the comic-book style scenes. And they look really poor, and cheap; like something I'd expect to see on an old PS Vita or mobile game. So to see them here on a AAA flagship title was genuinely surprising. I don't find that style of storytelling engaging in the slightest. I'd rather read plot at my own pace, or watch properly acted scenes - the halfway-house storytelling on offer here is not to my liking at all. But hey, at this point I was still looking forward to actually playing the game and seeing what it was about. But there was just more disappointment in store.

It instantly feels old to play. Very old. Loose and floaty. S0L, I'm sorry, but Warframe feels better to play than this. And then there's the driving. I got into a car, and I couldn't find an option to change the view. Is bonnet-cam not an option? If it is, I couldn't find it; if it's not, why not? And overall visually, again, it looks old. I'm playing on a decent 4k HDR tv, and sure enough it's bright and colourful. But the character models are poor, the textures are flat ... it just all looks and feels really old.

There was nothing to hook me in and keep playing. Not a single thing. Sorry pal. :(

There are plenty enjoying the game, so I'm not going to stink the thread up any more for those who are happy with it and wish to simply discuss the game more. 

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It's a better open world game than RDR2. 

Wow.

I certainly levelled some criticism at elements of RDR2, but I couldn’t disagree with this more. Are you sure you don’t mean ‘sandbox’ rather than ‘open world’?

5 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Wow.

I certainly levelled some criticism at elements of RDR2, but I couldn’t disagree with this more. Are you sure you don’t mean ‘sandbox’ rather than ‘open world’?

As an open world game it just plays better, controls better, is more enjoyable, all IMO of course.  I'm not suggesting RDR2 is bad btw, I just genuinely think this is great and plays much better. 

It's a comparison worth making though. People are complaining that the game play in Crackdown is dated yet it's still more evolved than R* who haven't done anything different in 20 years, which is fine if that's what people like, but I'd argue even GTAIII works better as an open world game than RDR2. Just funny that this appears to be attracting criticism yet RDR2 was hailed as a masterpiece.

This is a strange game. I'd love to know more about Sumo's brief for the campaign, as it feels a lot like what I would expect a straight remake of Crackdown to feel like. This isn't inherently a bad thing as this feels more like what I wanted Crackdown 2 to be, which is an updated take on Crackdown with a load of quality of life improvements, but it undeniably feels quite old fashioned in some places.

I'm having fun with it which is ultimately all that matters. Terry Crews/10

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It's a comparison worth making though

No, it isn't. People just want to use whatever they have to hand to either beat/praise RDR2 in the same way we've heard for the last four months.

RDR2 is not the game you wish it was, you don't need to remind us at every opportunity.

52 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

No, it isn't. People just want to use whatever they have to hand to either beat/praise RDR2 in the same way we've heard for the last four months.

RDR2 is not the game you wish it was, you don't need to remind us at every opportunity.

I don't believe I've ever criticised RDR2, but don't let that stand in the way of things. I'll talk about what I want, and I'll compare games as I choose. 

I played this co-op tonight and I'm not a fan, sorry @S0L. I'm a huge fan of Sumo, from the sonic racing games to gamepass (and your beautiful offices and wonderful teams I was lucky enough to meet once) but this is disappointing. Tbf I wasn't a fan of the original like most people on here. The world felt pretty dull much of the time, lacking that GTA real world element and the gameplay felt basic. Go here, kill this single character, go there kill this other one and this is identical to that.

Sea of Thieves feels like it has more mission variety and that only has three types of chest collection missions. Of course if you enjoyed the original you'll probably like this as it really does feel more of the same. What I can't forgive though is some of the jankyness. Maybe this is down to the net play but things that happened tonight.

Car hits a small piece of scenery, spins 24 times within a second and gets stuck on a tree.

monorail cars scrolling through the sky and are only updated at 3 frames a second.

Two players cannot get into one car.

Cutscenes happen when unlocking a jail etc and shows the other player glitching and bouncing through scenery.

Music is far to loud compared to all voice overs.

Car hits another and both stop dead instantly.

Ran over friend whilst they are in a menu which boots them out the menu.

Climbing up buildings, you never feel sure if your character is going to grab a ledge or just fall back down.

Jumping up an agency tower is scary because you have no shadow to see where you are going to land or are in the 3D space.

Cars control like you're driving the camera through the game world than the actual car as it gets snagged on every polygon it can find.

Theres many more little things like the above, mostly it seems the physics cant quite hold it together. At times it feels like a Ps2 game with its aim lock on that makes gunplay boring, enemies that can see you through walls so are always ready to shoot at you removing any element of surprise. Enemies don't even react to being shot. It's very barebones with no urgency and messing around doesn't feel all that fun as you fight against the game.

Theres a huge world there but it all feels so forgettable with nothing to do except kill groups of enemies every 10 yards. I don't really want to go on as it's obvious I don't like it. It's certainly not a bad game just a very very average one that feels really buggy. As I said if you loved the original this feels pretty identical to that.

Something has obviously gone on at MS and Sumo for this to come out this way. Of course I doubt any of us outside Sumo will ever know the truth. A shame for Xbox Fans for sure and I hope Sumo can bounce back with what ever their next project is.

I didn’t think I’d like this much, I wasn’t a fan of the original. However a quick 5 min shot turned into 4hrs and I loved every second. It’s just a hell of a lot of fun and it looks pretty nice on the Xbone X. 

Favourite weapon so far is the freezing shotgun! 

So far I'm really enjoying this. It's got that addictive nature of wanting to collect all the agility orbs as there was with the original games. The combat is fun and you can mix things up. The graphics are better than I imagined though I am running in 1440p on Ultra. As has been said, the beginning was a bit of cringe but I'm not playing the game for its story. It's like a B-movie which know's exactly what it is and plays up to that. Sure, more could have been made with the story, but I think its simple nature is refreshing. I'm fed up with games where you spend half the game in a cut-scene then get told to go to X, collect Y which then leads onto Z interspersed with more cut-scenes where you kill / collect more things before returning and getting some reward. Cut the BS and instead here we just have go here, do this (if you want to). Otherwise you're left up to your own devices.

This is the first game in a while which I can easily see myself returning to without story fatigue or gameplay gumming up the works for me. I'm just planning on jumping about like a loon collecting everything and becoming a god in the process. Works for me :)

Preload the game pass version a few days ago, finally get to sit down to play this at nearly 9pm on launch day. Exciting! Been a while since I played a game on launch.

Oh, a fucking 9gig patch.

edit - presumably no one's fault per se, I just can't believe a build I grabbed a couple of days ago needed a 9gb patch. If you allow pre-load, it should be a bloody go-live build, critical day 1 bug fixes aside.

I'm enjoying running around collecting orbs. But something lacking from the first game, are orbs tantalisingly out of reach until you have levelled up. Right at the start of the first Crackdown, there were orbs that you needed a couple more feet of jump to be able to reach. Or the top of a building had that one ledge slightly higher that try as you might, you just knew you'd have to level up and come back to. 

I played for hours in the first game with a mate of mine, just seeing which tall buildings we could "cheat" and try and get to the top of. But so far in this, I have collected maybe 100 orbs so far, and every single one has been really easy to get to. Every rooftop has been accessible. It all just feels too easy and not challenging at all, which is what I really liked about the first game.