Yoshimax

Crackdown 3

So far I'm really enjoying this. It's got that addictive nature of wanting to collect all the agility orbs as there was with the original games. The combat is fun and you can mix things up. The graphics are better than I imagined though I am running in 1440p on Ultra. As has been said, the beginning was a bit of cringe but I'm not playing the game for its story. It's like a B-movie which know's exactly what it is and plays up to that. Sure, more could have been made with the story, but I think its simple nature is refreshing. I'm fed up with games where you spend half the game in a cut-scene then get told to go to X, collect Y which then leads onto Z interspersed with more cut-scenes where you kill / collect more things before returning and getting some reward. Cut the BS and instead here we just have go here, do this (if you want to). Otherwise you're left up to your own devices.

This is the first game in a while which I can easily see myself returning to without story fatigue or gameplay gumming up the works for me. I'm just planning on jumping about like a loon collecting everything and becoming a god in the process. Works for me :)

• Upvote 2

Preload the game pass version a few days ago, finally get to sit down to play this at nearly 9pm on launch day. Exciting! Been a while since I played a game on launch.

Oh, a fucking 9gig patch.

edit - presumably no one's fault per se, I just can't believe a build I grabbed a couple of days ago needed a 9gb patch. If you allow pre-load, it should be a bloody go-live build, critical day 1 bug fixes aside.

I'm enjoying running around collecting orbs. But something lacking from the first game, are orbs tantalisingly out of reach until you have levelled up. Right at the start of the first Crackdown, there were orbs that you needed a couple more feet of jump to be able to reach. Or the top of a building had that one ledge slightly higher that try as you might, you just knew you'd have to level up and come back to. 

I played for hours in the first game with a mate of mine, just seeing which tall buildings we could "cheat" and try and get to the top of. But so far in this, I have collected maybe 100 orbs so far, and every single one has been really easy to get to. Every rooftop has been accessible. It all just feels too easy and not challenging at all, which is what I really liked about the first game. 

Have read back a few pages, now I've played it. Kinda surprised by the arguments, but mostly that it looks like a tarted up 360 game. I mean, the first game was a marvel, but I think you're overestimating what it could do. That first sunrise caused incredible shadows throughout the city. In fact, the whole lighting is great. Just because it has that cel shading aesthetic, doesn't mean the engine is simple. 

Anyway, to each his own. I prefer this to Hyper Real 3/FPS triple A Game X that's constantly cranked out these days.

I would very much agree with S0L about unlocking agility early. Once a certain perk is unlocked the game starts to open up to really be the game that I want and became an orb hunter with a few distractions mixed in. And the distractions have been a lot of fun. The combat also becomes a modern take on third person games without me having to feel like I'm having to buy in to some anime tropes with over the top animations and under dressed girls. I don't need to be an elaborate robot or scantily clad woman to be able to athletically zip around punching dudes in the face.

4 hours ago, SteveH said:

I'm enjoying running around collecting orbs. But something lacking from the first game, are orbs tantalisingly out of reach until you have levelled up. Right at the start of the first Crackdown, there were orbs that you needed a couple more feet of jump to be able to reach. Or the top of a building had that one ledge slightly higher that try as you might, you just knew you'd have to level up and come back to. 

I played for hours in the first game with a mate of mine, just seeing which tall buildings we could "cheat" and try and get to the top of. But so far in this, I have collected maybe 100 orbs so far, and every single one has been really easy to get to. Every rooftop has been accessible. It all just feels too easy and not challenging at all, which is what I really liked about the first game. 

Unless it’s just me there is this (not being able to reach some orbs yet) as in this picture. 

I’ll have to come back to it later. 

64366943-4372-479D-A890-144C7B951504.jpeg

I thought the same about that Orb actually @Pavey but then saw how to get to it quite easily :) That's if I'm correct in thinking that is right near the start of the game?

• Upvote 1

You can get all the orbs but one in the Tutorial area without entering the city, the pictured one included. In fact you can reach Agility Level 2 without finishing the boss fight first... If you know how. Which is intentional :)

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

I thought the same about that Orb actually @Pavey but then saw how to get to it quite easily :) That's if I'm correct in thinking that is right near the start of the game?

Got it, thanks. 

Love this game, so much to do whether it’s orbs, liberating prisoners, following the story or just shooting bad guys. 

Graphics are Crackdown graphics, don’t need to be any ‘better’, frame rate is irrelevant when you are just having fun. Best part of all is it’s free with Game Pass. What's the rrp? Worth every penny In my opinion. 

I have to go and get new motorcycle tyres (in real life), otherwise I could see myself sat here all day. 

(I’ve edited my post out of guilt )

34 minutes ago, S0L said:

You can get all the orbs but one in the Tutorial area without entering the city, the pictured one included. In fact you can reach Agility Level 2 without finishing the boss fight first... If you know how. Which is intentional :)

I have one hidden and one agility to go in the first zone, and I’m damned if I can find them. 

Have to agree with Ketchups point about the music being too loud compared to the voice overs. I could barely make out a word of what was said in the introduction to the Terra Nova bosses. 

I'm enjoying the game though. Being a low level character takes some getting used to. My last experience of Crackdown was with a near maxed out agent so going back to bunny hops and weak grenades is strange, enemies being a threat feels weird. I do like feeling the difference leveling up makes, especially unlocking moves. 

That air-dash move when you click in the left stick is great, whoever came up with that deserves an entire pack of chocolate hob-nobs. 

59 minutes ago, Stanley said:

HDR appears to be off by default btw, make sure to turn it on.

Annoying on pc as you have to turn on HDR in Windows before playing the game. Also annoying that if I pause the game and do something else for a minute the screen saver will come on and controller input won't get rid of it so I have to wiggle my mouse quickly. Even more annoying was if HDR was on and an achievement popped up the game would stutter and gabbled graphics would fill the screen briefly, had to turn notifications off.

Game is great so far but God damn why can't Microsoft get there shit together when it comes to pc gaming?

• Upvote 1

I love how high up you can get in this, and the jumping/climbing challenges, the views are pretty staggering too. 

Honestly I just turn this on with no real objective but always find myself completely absorbed within moments of playing. 

Starting to cause some proper explosive mayhem now and it's suitably impressive as shit blows up all around you without even a dent on performance.

I really enjoyed the Infamous games on PS3 because of how freeform the game play was, and the way you could skirt around and scale to wherever you liked when approaching encounters, and this is the same - anything goes. Sadly Infamous Second Son never managed to capture the magic of the first two but Crackdown 3 has it spades.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Max Damage said:

Annoying on pc as you have to turn on HDR in Windows before playing the game. Also annoying that if I pause the game and do something else for a minute the screen saver will come on and controller input won't get rid of it so I have to wiggle my mouse quickly. Even more annoying was if HDR was on and an achievement popped up the game would stutter and gabbled graphics would fill the screen briefly, had to turn notifications off.

Game is great so far but God damn why can't Microsoft get there shit together when it comes to pc gaming?

HDR on Windows is just a shit show, and apparently continues to be.

I forgot to mention last night, probably one of many things, but I love that feeling of Neo starting to believe, when you nail a big jump early on. Like, it looks massive, but jump, double jump, dash forward and .. just make it. Puts such a massive grin on my face. And then that realization that you can go anywhere, in all dimensions.

• Upvote 2

I think I'm having as much fun with this as I did the original...which I loved. Definitely better than number 2. 

I'm quite early on (90 minutes or so) and I'd say my only fault is the orb placement doesn't seem to flow as well as it did in the original. It might be because I'm finding it harder to see them due to the increase in detail of the city of course, I just find it difficult to see a path of orbs. 

Loved the late title card by the way. Thumbs up for that :)

I'm playing via gamepass, on a gaming rig I rent from the internet (Shadow PC), running on a non-gaming laptop but at 1080p full detail and barely a hitch...even over wifi. I know I could do this with any PC game, but it feels appropriate to mention it here following Crackdown 3's development :)

It works surprisingly well! I wouldn't want to play any serious online game via this method but it's great for a single player game. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, footle said:

HDR on Windows is just a shit show, and apparently continues to be.

Some games will let you switch HDR on or off in-game without faffing with the windows settings which is great, alas this game is not one of them but I'll give Microsoft some credit as they have improved HDR settings within Windows over time.

Crackdown 3 then, is it me or are the propaganda towers really fun to complete? I've now switched to a different agent with 10% agility bonus just so I can get agility level 5 quicker, getting about the city on foot is really fun although I like driving about also and the handling feels spot on to me tbh.

• Upvote 1

This really is fun I'm enjoying it a lot. It's just more Crackdown and what more could you want. I'm loving the weapons and I don't know why people are complaining about the cars as who uses them in a crackdown game. 

Enjoy that holiday @S0L as I'm sure you're going to be well busy on Outrun 3 when UK get back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

On 14/02/2019 at 23:14, S0L said:

Yeah, the reviews are ouch. And the ResetEra thread too. I had to go sign up...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/crackdown-3-review-thread.99615/post-17929723

...I’m fine if people hate it, or even don’t care, but it feels like its getting a kicking more due to its history than the results. As I say, I’ll see what the players make of it as everyone will play it different :)

I shall tell you now that that thread is fucking AMAZING.  Not for any of the right reasons but it's absolutely hilarious :lol: It's basically the 'best of the internet' in one thread.

Some people don't seem to understand the concept of having 'fun' despite a game having some or many flaws, fuck me I can tell you I'm the master of liking flawed or what folks call mediocre games and disliking greatly much bigger, higher acclaimed games.

Yes times have moved on, games have moved on in 12 years but to me Crackdown is like EDF (I really need to buy 5!) in that I can't think of anything else like them and they are unashamedly what they are even if it could be better in certain ways.  I will say one thing though, with SD's racing game history I'm surprised I'm finding the driving to be so bad, it's honestly no fun at all from the vehicles I've tried.  That's probably my biggest complaint tbh.

Honestly, being a Microsoft title has amplified the criticism and arguments tenfold amongst the fanbases.  I doubt much folk would have paid much attention to it, it still would have been reviewed badly but just go kinda under the radar but as that's not the case people are being nuts.  It is however really fucking funny :lol: 

• Upvote 3

I’ve only play a few hours of this and from my early impressions, I think this is probably the best of the three Crackdown campaigns. 

Orbs replenishing your health and shields is great! and totally fixes that weird thing in the older ones where you had to just wait around a bit for your health the regen in a game that never gives you a break. It rewards aggressive play, something a bit is nicked a little from Blooodborne :) 

low the new new elemental damage stuff and the shields that you can knock off enemies with some melee attacks. 

Seems like CD1, with some great refinements! 

• Upvote 1