Yoshimax

Crackdown 3 - February 15th, 2019

They specifically kept referring to Crackdown 3 multiplayer mode, which definitely highly suggests there will be a single player mode, in whatever form that takes.

I think everyone else is misreading it, it implies to me an online campaign is a separate mode from an online competitive multiplayer. Campaign = PvE, Competitive = PvP.

Like Destiny Campaign and Crucible are separate, but neither is offline.

Also just for the sake of checking my sanity, this post is pretty clear in its meaning, right? Like I'm second-guessing myself here that people on this forum are able to pick up on simple implications or inferences in my posts now.

I'm just asking because it's post #21 on the first page, and posts #24, #26, #31, #32, #34, #35 after that are still implying that I'm saying something I'm not. Like Stu, Fry Crayola and mdn, you guys were confused - do you think it's clear, just to relieve my mind that all my stuff isn't being read the wrong way?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Didn't we discuss this when the XBox One was originally launched. How does a bunch of remote cloud servers give you better physics processing. Wouldn't lag pretty much fuck that up? Especially in multiplayer

Can we have a new crackdown three thread, and ban rubberjohnboy from posting in it?

Didn't we discuss this when the XBox One was originally launched. How does a bunch of remote cloud servers give you better physics processing. Wouldn't lag pretty much fuck that up? Especially in multiplayer

In multiplayer you're already compensating a bit for lag,

• Upvote 1

In multiplayer you're already compensating a bit for lag,

Not to the extent they're talking about. I swear we had a massive thread on how unlikely it was for MS to have cracked this

There must be lag but otherwise isn't it just a fancier version of PS Now and other streaming services?

Can someone explain how this works?

There's a GAF thread with the sole technical demo example

sequenz010wuvh.gif

Running in real-time on XBO. Very early wip, so don't care for the lighting and so on. It is a very basic frequency test where the grass splines update 12 times a second. This is nothing special so far. The cool thing is tho that the start and endpoints of our splines influenced by wind and objects are being calculated by Azure. This means: the physic calculations you see are costing us pretty much no local power (excluding GPU ofc). We can use the saved power for other things - like AI, animations and so on. We are very proud of it - especially since we completely eliminated any chance of clipping. I just wanted to add that here.

• Upvote 1

Not to the extent they're talking about. I swear we had a massive thread on how unlikely it was for MS to have cracked this

As unlikely as uneducated people may have led you to believe backwards compatibility wasn't possible either.

There must be lag but otherwise isn't it just a fancier version of PS Now and other streaming services?

Can someone explain how this works?

In very broad terms it's not hugely dissimilar.. except you're not streaming HD video to each client - you're streaming changes in geometry - which is essentially just a (large) set of 3d coordinates, so the amount of data shuttled back and forth shouldn't be nearly as intensive..

OK.. so you've a copy of the geometry of the city on each local machine and on the server..

For each frame, the server will get data from each machine of where the local player is, if they are firing and the direction of that projectile.. This is based on the controller input since the last frame and it can build up a picture of where everyone is in the environment and what they are doing (just as multiplayer servers/the local host machine have been doing since the Doom/Quake era).

If during the current frame, a projectile impacts a part of a structure with sufficient force to damage it - e.g. break it in half, the server will perform the physics calculation to work out how it would break and then sends the info to each machine that object 456(or whatever) was destroyed and to replace it with child objects 456a and 456b.. it also tells the machines what these two halves look like (3D co-ordinates and vectors defining the two new objects). Each machine can then update their local city model for that frame (without doing any of the time consuming calculations) and the process continues..

For each frame the server (probably comprised of multiple high end Xeon processors) will be doing all the physics calculations (what breaks, what collides and rebounds, how the debris is affected by gravity, if the structure can still sustain it's own weight etc.. all it is passing back to the machines will be changes in geometry.. which they only need to draw..

The amount of data going to the server is relatively small - similar to any modern multiplayer game..

The amount of data each Xbox will be getting back will be larger.. but not huge - even streaming co-ordinates for hundreds of thousands of new objects 30 times a second - it's still a pretty small amount of data - certainly nothing compared to streaming decent quality video..

• Upvote 9

See, that seems plausible. Perhaps had a completely viable PS Now been up at the time (and the whole nonsense served to us by EA and Sim City), it may not have seemed so daft.

Not sure why it was ever implausible..

Dedicated online servers have been used for 20 years..

Cloud computing (passing intensive calculations to more powerful servers) has been done for years also.. Microsoft's own Azure has been offering just that since 2008..

It's only marrying those two ideas for real-time update of something more ambitious than player/projectile positions... but it's not to the crazy scale of the dataset calculations and general number crunching these sorts of servers routinely handle..

• Upvote 1

Sweet fuck this looks amazing.

I'm gutted now that I traded in Crackdown 1 & 2 after getting my Xbox One.

If they were to appear on Games With Gold in the near future that would make me very happy indeed...

As for the lack of total destruction in single player, as has been pointed out, that wouldn't really work, would it?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174157533&postcount=413

Reporter for a french site posted..

They asked the developers..

Playable solo without an internet connection, but destruction is limited to smaller objects..

The tech is impressive - appears to work well with no lag online..

The devs reckon they would generally need the equivalent grunt of a further 7 XBOnes to perform the calculations being done in the average game.. hence the cloud servers..

Sweet fuck this looks amazing.

I'm gutted now that I traded in Crackdown 1 & 2 after getting my Xbox One.

If they were to appear on Games With Gold in the near future that would make me very happy indeed...

Crackdown has already been in August 2013, so unless Microsoft decide to run a few repeats, you're fresh out of luck for that one. Still a chance of the sequel, though, and I wouldn't really rule out them pulling the same trick they're doing with Gears of War's enhanced remake offering all four 360 titles for free.

This is looking absolutely fantastic.. shame its going to be a bit of a wait.... although I have a nice backlog of quality games to get through on the One so maybe a good thing!!!

Man, that is some epic destruction!! Nice use of cloud computing.

Amazing rllmuk behaviour arguing about fuck all for the last few pages. Top work, chaps.

Is there anything worth taking from Crackdown 2 apart from the wingsuit? That was one of the most disappointing games of the last generation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1