Yoshimax

Crackdown 3 - February 15th, 2019

I've seen a few comments saying it looks shit based on that video, but the character is around level 2 in progression and you max out at 6. The original was crack once you got hooked on orbs and levelling up. 

• Upvote 4

Yeah i've been playing the first one recently thanks to the freebie from MS and the core game is still amazing, it looks like they've kept that core gameplay and expanded on it. Cant wait!

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I've seen a few comments saying it looks shit based on that video, but the character is around level 2 in progression and you max out at 6. The original was crack once you got hooked on orbs and levelling up. 

Absolutely. It was such a simple, well executed, addictive process. 

It's been delayed so long and had such rough showings, that any hype I had has completely dissipated. I loved the first game though, and playing it on XB1 BC proves it's still fantastic fun. So articles like that make me hopeful again. But it couldn't have come at a worse time for me, right around Metro and Sekiro - two games that I'm completely over the top excited about and will probably last me the better part of 2019 if they live up to expectations.

I'll probably end up buying Crackdown 3 on day one if the reviews are good, but not get around to it before it's half price in a sale :lol:

That article says it’s only been in development for 4 years, which doesn’t seem that excessive for a game like that. Certainly not ‘development hell’ like I’ve seen it described.

Is that right though? It feels a lot longer.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

That article says it’s only been in development for 4 years, which doesn’t seem that excessive for a game like that. Certainly not ‘development hell’ like I’ve seen it described.

Is that right though? It feels a lot longer.

I have no idea, it just feels like it's been in development forever and delayed countless times. Maybe they announced too early?

• Upvote 1

I just had a quick look on Wikipedia and it was unveiled as a cloud demo at E3 2014, but wasn't shown as Crackdown until the year after. It really hasn't been in development for the eternity it feels like. As @Mr. Gerbiksays, they definitely announced it too early, and the couple of delays its had hasn't helped. No doubt, it'll be one of the reasons Phil Spencer came out and said they wouldn't be announcing games so early in the future.

Anyway, that article does sound promising. I'm not sure how much to take from it though seeing as it's from the Official Xbox Magazine, who I can imagine will be a little bit biased. I hope the cloud stuff is as impressive as it sounds though, as it was properly ridiculed and declared as being impossible when it was announced.

• Upvote 1

Anybody who wasn't an idiot wouldn't have ridiculed the idea of using servers to do the destruction in this game, considering the online mode requires servers to work so latency is a non-issue in this instance, much like the only other Power of the Cloud game that has been released so far, another server-based game.

People are still free to ridicule the idea of cloud enhancements for more single player games that aren't running primarily on a server, as the latency there would be more problematic and nobody has demonstrated that working well yet in a commercial game.

As Epic bought out Cloudgine, maybe the Power of the Cloud will actually get implemented in more games in the future, or Epic really do have too much money now and not enough useful things outside of world domination to do with it.

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that it was the cost of running the cloud tech that was prohibitive, more than the issue of latency etc.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Anybody who wasn't an idiot wouldn't have ridiculed the idea of using servers to do the destruction in this game.

Yet that's exactly what happened.

I hope it works and I hope this game is an impressive showcase for it, as it sounds like something that could end up being pretty useful if consoles eventually turn into streaming boxes.

I'm Gamepassed up for the next few months so I'm pretty hyped for this. Looking at recent vids it's seeming a lot more polished than a few years back. "Impressive ascent agent"

It looks massively playable and enjoyable, something lacking in many open world games these days. I just wanna zip around the city blowing shit up and by Christ does it look like this will deliver.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

As in the Vs, not the co-op?

As in the much vaunted cloud destruction stuff- wrecking zone PvP  mode which apparently "feels as satisfying as poking your finger through a Kleenex". 

The first Crackdown took me a good few restarts before it clicked, then it all made sense. It quickly became my favourite game on the 360.

Can’t wait for this :wub:

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, S0L said:

I like to think we've made the best Crackdown game in the series, but hell I would say that having invested almost 5 years of work on it!

Unless there's a mix-up at the disc packaging plant and they send out used condoms in the cases, you can be confident that you've made the second best game in the series at least.

• Upvote 7

Crackdown 1 was such a great game :wub:. Crackdown 2 not so much. Let's hope 3 manages to recapture what made 1 so good. 

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Out of interest, what is the download size?  I'm on mobile broadband, with a monthly cap of 100Gb.

Will depend on which system you have (We have 4K videos on One X for example) but off the top of my head I think it's under 20GB. PC maybe a little larger as I think you get both sets of video.

• Upvote 3