Final Fantasy XII remake/remaster/rerelease/re-record not fade away?

SMD

I have come to the conclusion that this is never going to drop below £20 in sales, and it’s at that price for the current Golden Week sale so I was about to jump on it.

Then I notice that the Japanese store is also selling an additional digital premium edition which includes remastered soundtrack options, plus a downloadable soundtrack and theme and stuff. It seems like this doesn’t exist on the GB store, which only has the vanilla version. I found the deluxe one on several other regions, Singapore etc.

I want to get the soundtrack, but I don’t want to have to play it in Japanese. The listing on the GB store version tells you the supported languages. It says English, all the typical euro ones, plus Japanese. The Japanese store listing doesn’t tell you any supported languages - typically it would be nothing but Japanese so that’s probably why they don’t bother saying anything.

The Singapore store actually sells different versions with different language combinations - English and Japanese, Chinese and English etc etc. which suggests there isn’t room for all the languages in one single release of the game. I would hope they wouldn’t strip the English out for the Japanese version, but I suspect they did.

A long shot question, does anyone have the Japanese store version and does it have English options?

• 1 month later...

God I love this game. I was talking about it the other day, so I went and checked if it’s on Gamepass and was playing it an hour later. I’ve decided not to spend any time reading guides, and not focus on what will happen if I miss things. I’m just going to do whatever I want to and see how it goes. The music is so good.

I’ve only actually completed it once. Last time when this was released on PS4 I made it to the Ridorana Cataract, the time before that I gave up at Giruvegan. I’ve not actually finished it since it was released in 2007. This time though!

Well, the nightmare is real. I finished Ridorana, and after the Famfri/Cid fight the game crashed during the cutscene. Loaded up, fought both bosses again, and it crashed in the same place during the cutscene :(

Ive had a few crashes during this playthrough, but all the others when I loaded and did the same thing again it didn’t happen. Has anyone played this on Gamepass? I don’t even know what I could try, I’ve got no earlier saves (though it wouldn’t matter if I did, the Pharos is one of the worst RPG dungeons I’ve ever encountered and I wouldn’t do it again). 

8 hours ago, Broker said:

Well, the nightmare is real. I finished Ridorana, and after the Famfri/Cid fight the game crashed during the cutscene. Loaded up, fought both bosses again, and it crashed in the same place during the cutscene :(

Ive had a few crashes during this playthrough, but all the others when I loaded and did the same thing again it didn’t happen. Has anyone played this on Gamepass? I don’t even know what I could try, I’ve got no earlier saves (though it wouldn’t matter if I did, the Pharos is one of the worst RPG dungeons I’ve ever encountered and I wouldn’t do it again). 

I played it on GP and had no issues at all, sorry. Can see some folks have had crashing issues online but can't see anything specific to your problem.

I’m going to try again and see if skipping the cutscene works, which didn’t occur to me because I’m stupid. Just need to beat the three bosses for a third time :lol:

1 minute ago, Broker said:

I’m going to try again and see if skipping the cutscene works, which didn’t occur to me because I’m stupid. Just need to beat the three bosses for a third time :lol:

To be fair nothing is more reminiscent of playing old school Playstation RPGs than replaying bosses and hoping your console doesn't crash. The scratch on my FFIX disc that stopped me getting through disc 3 means I never finished it. I was in my 30's before I came to the realisation that I could have just borrowed my best mate's disc who lived less than 5 minutes from where I did an hour long boss around thirty times. Happy days. 

I've been picking away at this since it came out on Switch, mostly on autopilot. I don't know if I'm enjoying playing it so much as programming my party and running about at 4x speed watching loot fall out of things.

This must be some sort of record though if I finish it, I started it on PS2 originally the day it came out in the UK. :lol:

49 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

That tower? Oh man, such a gruelling ordeal. 😨

It’s just SO LONG. Every time you finish a floor you think “maybe this is it”, then there’s a boss fight and you’re like “finally I’m done” then there’s just more tower :lol:

19 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I've been picking away at this since it came out on Switch, mostly on autopilot. I don't know if I'm enjoying playing it so much as programming my party and running about at 4x speed watching loot fall out of things.

This must be some sort of record though if I finish it, I started it on PS2 originally the day it came out in the UK. :lol:

I finished it in 2007 but I’ve started it multiple times since then but never made it all the way through. I’m at the stage now where all my people are over level 50 and I’ve unlocked most of the spells and stuff, so I haven’t really got much reason to tweak my gambits anymore. 

10 hours ago, Broker said:

Yes  finished it with no problems that i remember.  Multiple saves always.

Even at the end of the game, Pharos dungeon basement seems utterly impossible. For the other floors, having the guide helps a lot, even in general terms e.g head north east for the stairs.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Skipping worked! Watched the rest of the cutscene on YouTube and finished the game this morning. Excellent in every way :wub:

Did you do all the hunts? That was the best part of the game for me.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Did you do all the hunts? That was the best part of the game for me.

No I’m going to go back and do them, I think I’ve done about half on the way through. I just wanted to see the credits roll for the first time in 14 years first :) 

• 1 month later...

Just started this on Switch. 

I’m into the story but oof it’s a bit of a rough start throwing me in the dull sewers for such a long time. Also the combat is pretty boring at the moment waiting for my characters gauge to fill back up. I assume it gets better as I have more options and the environments get more interesting?

1 minute ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I’m into the story but oof it’s a bit of a rough start throwing me in the dull sewers for such a long time. Also the combat is pretty boring at the moment waiting for my characters gauge to fill back up. I assume it gets better as I have more options and the environments get more interesting?

Yes.

33 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

The combat in this is majestic once it clicks. Invest the time into understanding the gambit system. “Programming” your mans to go out and grind the fodder into EXP/loot mincemeat is incredibly satisfying. 

It’s yet to come, correct. The systems are quite deep tbf, they do a decent enough job of drip feeding it so that it doesn’t become too overwhelming. I say that as a comparative recent convert to the genre, who appreciated being eased in. Eventually even I was able to figure it all out eventually.

Levelling up the jobs is also handled really well. Expanding the skill tree type things per job is ultra customisable, you have a lot of choice as to what areas you wish to prioritise. They reveal just enough prospective skills on the board for you to aim for, in terms of unlocking certain abilities, attributes and techniques etc. You’ll constantly be looking forward to, and strategising where and when you deposit points.

I guess I’m approaching endgame stuff myself, but have started to noticed that a lot of the big fights with lethal attacks follow a pattern where it’s just juggling the ‘revive’ technick between different team members to try to get your healer alive, and then doing quickening chains at the right moment when all 3 happen to be still standing. None of the rest of the damage spells or weapons really seem to matter all that much, as there won’t typically be enough time to get decent attacks in between having to deal with someone’s KO status.

Also you get the odd fight where the boss becomes invulnerable to magic or physical, which is the perfect time to swap out a team member that specializes in one or the other, but 90% of the time the people you want to remove are locked in place by AoE attacks or something. It feels a bit like I’m not reaching the full potential of all the skills and abilities available.

I got all the Legendary weapons and hunted all the monsters in this, for years on the PS2 version, albeit upscaled on the PS3 (or anti-aliased or whatever).

Probably my most played game ever and so many great memories. Unfortunately the save is now stuck on a disassembled, YLOD PS3.

Is the new version significantly different? The idea of committing to this game again is like being at the bottom of Everest wearing khaki-shorts and sandals.

I never played the PS2 original, but I understand that the new version has the full proper job and levelling system that was originally altered / simplified for the western market (I think). Plus there are 2x and 4x speed boosts you can turn on that make grinding and map traversal far less painful.

If you’ve got a really efficient stack of gambits programmed throughout your party, it feels fucking glorious to walk them into a dungeon or field, bump up the speed, and just sit back and watch them strip the shite out of mobs for EXP and loot at comedy speed, causing numbers and pyrotechnics to fly all over the place while all the grunting, smacking and kerching-ing sound effects rattle off with the rhythmic intensity of the Amen drum & bass break 😎👌🏻 

• 3 weeks later...

Having just left the great crystal area I’m about to go to the Pharos lighthouse, my party is averaging about level 55 and I’ve just reached the point where the level 99 red chocobo can be spawned (I don’t believe I even knew about this back in 2006-7). I left the crystal with some superb gear picked up on the way, including Excalibur. I’m farming for materials to make the best weapons and doing the remaining hunts. Got the chocobo finished off to get a ribbon, and used that to take out the archaeoaevis group in the caverns for materials to make the best gun. My party is starting to feel super powered, but then I did the Fafnir hunt and had to strategize very carefully to survive it. Now I’m going deep into the Henne mines, which I have also never done before. (See also - fishing! There was fishing in FFXII??)

This is the absolute peak of the FF series, no doubt about it. The point I’m at now everything has come together perfectly in terms of challenge, abilities, and gameplay. I’m sad knowing that there are probably not that many new areas and bosses left to face, but it’s like flying down on a thrilling rollercoaster after a long climb up.

GOAT for RPGs. I just wish they didn’t put half the cast in such ridiculous clothing. Basch, Vaan and Fran - sort it out!

edit - 140 hours on the clock last I checked (for a single play-through that isn’t at the end) and I genuinely don’t know how that number got so big. How did FFXIII ever turn out to be so lacking in content? 

• 1 month later...

I booted this up on PS4 (but using PSVita remote play) last weekend (maybe the weekend before), though my save file said I'd last played it in 2019!

After spending an evening figuring out where I'm at (and having it pointed out to me that the map tells me that...) I've been chipping away at the Hunts to gain some experience and levels as story wise I appear to be at the point of no return.

Doing all this is fairly passive and is a totally different experience to the previous entry in the series I was playing (IV on PSP) and my continued playing of XIV (though you can see Matsunos influences in that, even outside of the content he had a hand in).

On 31/07/2021 at 10:11, Calashnikov said:

I never played the PS2 original, but I understand that the new version has the full proper job and levelling system that was originally altered / simplified for the western market (I think).

Almost.  The new Zodiac Age version is a further enhanced version of the International Zodiac Job System version of the game, which came out only in Japan about a year after the original FF12 hit the US (itself about a year after it hit Japan).  

(Main diff with IZJS and Zodiac Age versions like you mention, is that they push players into having more defined character class archetypes for the characters, so, there’s arguably a greater emphasis on actual role-playing and party forming.)

Anyone know if there's any loot I shouldnt sell? Other than teleport stones. Because I've loads of the stuff. Also can I sell it anywhere and gain access to bazaar items or does it have to be specific sellers for specific items? I've tried reading guides but they're all a little confusing.

You can sell anything anywhere and the bazaar will work the same, but in cases of repeatable bazaar goods it’s probably best not to sell all your loot at once. I think (for example) if something requires 5 bat fangs and 7 dark crystals, and you have 10 bat fangs and 29 dark crystals which you sell, you will only get the bazaar item once. If you sold 5 and 7, then 5 and 7 again, you would get it twice. I haven’t tested this but that seemed to be my experience. I don’t know how the bazaar could ever work without using a guide. 

95% of bazaar items aren’t repeatable anyway, but the most important ones for endgame gear are the empyrean soul, serpentarius and gemsteel. You need 3 of each to make the Tournesol. Some are given as rewards and some can be stolen/dropped from the level 99 red chocobo, but you will likely need to get most of it from the bazaar. The loot you need to sell is also hard to come by, so if there’s anything you want to do some research on it’s those items.

I’d personally also advise against selling horakhty’s flame, deimos clay and something else that makes the morbid urn bazaar item, just because when you buy that the chance to get rare drops from many monsters is lost (they start dropping arcana instead). I got every item in the game without needing to craft a single high arcana, so save it for the very end (there’s a trophy for buying the urn). Of course you can sell the loot and then just don’t buy it from the bazaar. I preferred not to tempt fate.