Final Fantasy XII remake/remaster/rerelease/re-record not fade away?

Meanwhile, it's gripping me like few others at the moment. Must be the lockdown, I finished it on PS2, craved a remaster for years and when it appeared on PS4 bought it immediately but petered out a few hours in. Bought it a couple of weeks ago on PC and have barely left it alone, especially this past week. I'm at 'the end' but I'm noodling around cleaning up hunts at the moment before tackling all the optional stuff.

Anyways, I've got something weird going on, not sure if something's bugged or I'm missing the way things work. I recently respecced Ashe to a Black Mage / Red Battlemage combo (I usually disregard magic in FF games and go for pure physical hitters, but what the hell with a free License Board switch). Thing is, she's not consuming any MP no matter what she casts. I've got a bunch of gambits set up to cast various types against weakness, and a general one to use Ardor against whatever the leader is attacking. The MP isn't going down at all. I'm running all over the place and she's endlessly nuking everything. It doesn't seem to be anything she has equipped. I've experimented with manually casting various spells and sometimes it uses MP but it seems completely random.

Watched a review of this game, and yep think there was a time I enjoyed it on PS2 but then I got stuck. I then spent several hungover hours grinding to level up then completely over-shot and the rest of the game was a walk through.

Going to have to find a summary of the story as this and X have kind of blended into one in my ageing, failing memory. 

I’ve arrived in

Spoiler

Archades

now and glanced at a walkthrough contents page just to see how far along I was. I’d assumed halfway but it looks more like 80%, albeit this is just following the critical path. Is that about right?

I’ve also finally worked out that Balthier reminds me of the lovably arrogant Hidetoshi Nakata. That had been bothering me for about 30 hours. 

I've started yet another play-through of this on PS2; I've bounced off it maybe 5 times now.

It's such a masterclass in getting art direction to do the heavy lifting of getting around technical limitations. Is still looks fantastic, to this day.

10 hours ago, Yasawas said:

I’ve arrived in

Hide contents

Archades

now and glanced at a walkthrough contents page just to see how far along I was. I’d assumed halfway but it looks more like 80%, albeit this is just following the critical path. Is that about right?

I’ve also finally worked out that Balthier reminds me of the lovably arrogant Hidetoshi Nakata. That had been bothering me for about 30 hours. 

I'd say you're about two thirds through the main story, but your playtime will double at least if you go for all the hunts, which you definitely should.

I am! And you’ve reminded me of something I keep meaning to ask - do the Giza Plains cycle between wet/dry on some sort of knowable schedule or is it randomised? All the hunts I have atm need it to be the rainy season so of course it’s not. 

7 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I am! And you’ve reminded me of something I keep meaning to ask - do the Giza Plains cycle between wet/dry on some sort of knowable schedule or is it randomised? All the hunts I have atm need it to be the rainy season so of course it’s not. 

It's always 1 (in game) hour of wet followed by 2 (in game) hours of dry.

From a Wiki:

Spoiler

Weather cycle

The Giza Plains have a unique weather cycle that affects the area's geography. The weather cycles are based on the in-game clock: 1 hour of rain followed by 2 hours of dry. Giza's weather can begin to cycle when the player enters Jahara, but the timer won't start until the player either returns to Giza Plains or enters Eruyt Village. I.e. the player can roam an hour on the Ozmone Plain and it'll remain wet at Giza, but after entering Giza Plains/Eruyt Village, the weather will change at the top of the hour. As the weather cycle is based on the "hours played" timer, the 2x or 4x speed boosts from the Zodiac versions do not affect it, but the pause menu where the screen goes black does.

Jinn, from Giza Plains, can be found in Rabanastre's Southern Plaza once the Rains starts after the player proceeds far enough in the storyline. He disappears once the weather starts cycling. Once the Rains start, travelers are to be found in the Nomad Village who disappear once the weather starts cycling.

IIRC, if you go to one of the gates in Rabanastre you can see from the clouds whether it's currently wet or dry.

I'm generally loving this as may be apparent, but it's strangely reassuring to see the two constant bugbears of JRPGs hold true here:

• Developers/localisers do not understand what bit is the thunder and what bit is the lightning.
  • No matter how good the overall game there has to be one miserable trudge of a dungeon. Hello Great Crystal! Where my map is useless so I got lost and wandered into what I believe must be an optional area where I died in every (identical looking) room. I think that was over an hour lost with naught but less patience and a couple of high-powered weapons I won't use to show for it. Still, onwards (and downwards, as it happens).

And done! I didn't do all the hunts in the end because 

• I start to get a bit anxious as I approach the end of an RPG - fear of difficulty spikes/bullshit bosses,
  • the desire to finish and start something new and also in this case...
  • they were so reminiscent of Monster Hunter that it was putting me in the mood to go back to that instead so that's what I'm doing. Still well over 60 hours of fun here all told.

I've played almost every FF to some extent but only ever finished two and a half of them (this, VI and Mystic Quest) so it's in rare company and I have no more articulate summary of it than I loved it way beyond what I thought I would. Great combat, good (or at least not too irritating) characters in the main, and pretty different story wise. Yes there were princes and princesses with the usual moral quandaries and unexplained magical properties but nobody had amnesia at least and it was all enjoyably Star Wars/needlessly complex imperialist nonsense.

What a time for JRPGs I'm having these days with this so soon after Dragon Quest and Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Switch.

8 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

• I start to get a bit anxious as I approach the end of an RPG - fear of difficulty spikes/bullshit bosses,
  • they were so reminiscent of Monster Hunter that it was putting me in the mood to go back to that instead so that's what I'm doing. Still well over 60 hours of fun here all told.

I've played almost every FF to some extent but only ever finished two and a half of them (this, VI and Mystic Quest) so it's in rare company and I have no more articulate summary of it than I loved it way beyond what I thought I would. Great combat, good (or at least not too irritating) characters in the main, and pretty different story wise. Yes there were princes and princesses with the usual moral quandaries and unexplained magical properties but nobody had amnesia at least and it was all enjoyably Star Wars/needlessly complex imperialist nonsense.

What a time for JRPGs I'm having these days with this so soon after Dragon Quest and Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Switch.

Glad you enjoyed it! ^_^

34 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

The hunts were the best part of the game for me but they do end up requiring a pretty ridiculous time investment. The last one alone takes literally hours to beat.

I completed this as much as I want to at the moment. As far as Steam achievements go I need to still do 100 trials, and see all the concurrences. The last one is by all accounts quite the ballache so I don't want to go down a rabbit hole of attempts. Did everything else though, all the hunts, completed the bestiary, collected all the magicks etc. 126 hours all told, which has been a very welcome distraction for a fortnight. Solidified its position as far and away my favourite FF.

Regarding that last hunt, I set up a relatively simple set of gambits and was able to mostly leave them to it but it still took 40 minutes on 4x speed. Heaven knows what PS2 players felt like back in the day. Back then I fizzled out on hunts at about 40%.

I've been dipping into the hunts from time to time when I've been strapped for cash or needed to level up a bit, but I've been mostly mainlining the story.

I think I'm approaching the end now, and to be honest I haven't exactly been loving the experience. It's enjoyable enough, but it's the first Final Fantasy remaster where I've been using the speed toggle for anything other than running back to check stuff. There are long sections in XII where you're just crossing the landscape, occasionally waiting for your team to autokill basic mobs before pressing on again. The gambit system is very clever, but once you've automated everything there's precious little gameplay left outside of tougher encounters and bosses. 

The story has been very low-key too, which is kind of refreshing, but I miss the usual crazy melodrama. I do feel it's slightly underplayed even for what it is too, and I can't say I've really connected with any of the characters. I do however like that it's much more of an ensemble than usual, with Vaan and Penelo being effectively passengers swept up in bigger things.

So, I can't see this becoming a favourite of the series for me but it's certainly an interesting instalment. There's a lot of depth to be found in the license system too which would make a second run rather interesting. I've ended up with a bit of a weird combination, with Ashe leading the party as a mace and shield wielding Red Battlemage/Black Mage, backed up with Vaan as a ninja sword wielding Shikari/Monk and Penelo as a crossbow wielding White Mage/Time Battlemage. It kind of works, but I'm having to revive people more times than I'd like.

12 hours ago, David Kenny said:

The hunts were the best part of the game for me but they do end up requiring a pretty ridiculous time investment. The last one alone takes literally hours to beat.

Not on 4x speed mode he doesn't! (Although it still took me about 20 minutes.)

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Not on 4x speed mode he doesn't! (Although it still took me about 20 minutes.)

I don't know what I was doing wrong then because on the PS2 it took me a lot more than 80 minutes! Might be time to try again.

I spent so much time in X4 mode and still spent 145 hours or so before finishing it off. I’d done the majority of things but was super pissed off when it wrote off my last save after finishing as I wanted to go back and do some more things.

Some battles were tough like the third part of that guy with the 4 arms and a dog side kick. Is that final hunt you’re talking about anything to do with that boss that has about 50 health bars? I think I spent about 20 mins on it in x4 mode and realised how long it was going to be and just gave up as I couldn’t be arsed at the time and had work later that day. The last actual hunt I remember doing was the one which can be found literally anywhere. Think it looked like a t-Rex but this is very loose as a memory. There was another that involved the airships which takes a while to find. 

It is a cool game but very different to previous games. I also ended up playing and finishing FF XII Revenant Wings which isn’t anything like the original, but I did manage to find some fun with it.

11 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

Is that final hunt you’re talking about anything to do with that boss that has about 50 health bars? I think I spent about 20 mins on it in x4 mode and realised how long it was going to be and just gave up as I couldn’t be arsed at the time and had work later that day.

That's the one. He wasn't that hard, honestly. Did him on my first go, in fact -_-

36 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

I spent so much time in X4 mode and still spent 145 hours or so before finishing it off. I’d done the majority of things but was super pissed off when it wrote off my last save after finishing as I wanted to go back and do some more things.

Some battles were tough like the third part of that guy with the 4 arms and a dog side kick. Is that final hunt you’re talking about anything to do with that boss that has about 50 health bars? I think I spent about 20 mins on it in x4 mode and realised how long it was going to be and just gave up as I couldn’t be arsed at the time and had work later that day. The last actual hunt I remember doing was the one which can be found literally anywhere. Think it looked like a t-Rex but this is very loose as a memory. There was another that involved the airships which takes a while to find. 

It is a cool game but very different to previous games. I also ended up playing and finishing FF XII Revenant Wings which isn’t anything like the original, but I did manage to find some fun with it.

On the PS2 (I assume it's the same on the switch) for that last hunt you can leave the area, visit some sights, have a coffee and a pastry, save your game, then return, and its health will be what it was when you left (pretty much). Made it a little more manageable.

It was unnecessarily long and it’s  something I dislike about square as they always do stupid stuff like that. Another one was the 100 run races. Why 100, why does it have to be that many to get every item available? Why does anyone want to spend hours tapping buttons over and over to see the same shitty race. 

Finished! 

My thoughts haven't really changed though. I never clicked with the story, and far too much of the game went by without any meaningful interaction. I wouldn't go as far as to say I didn't like it, but it's my least favourite Final Fantasy out of the ones I've finished. I'd hasten to add that I haven't finished XIII or XV, so we'll see if either of those can take it's place.

• 3 months later...

Started this again this week, having picked it up on Switch which is a great platform for it (as always) :) 

I really don’t know if I properly finished it, ever.  I think I did once, when it originally came out as I remember aspects of the story and certain moments but have no idea how the overall plot fits together.  I started it in more recent times on PS4 I guess, got as far as the bit after the Nalbina dungeon.

So now I’m back in Rabanastre and in fairly unexplored territory for me, a good five hours in.  Feels like I’m here to stay!

Balthier.... :wub: 

Just chewed through my entire stock of potions and Phoenix downs on a hunt, because I didn’t realise Fran had Cure. Oops.

My job choices so far:

Vaan - Shikari

Penelo - White Mage

Balthier - Knight

Fran - Machinist

Basch - Uhlan

... leaving a spot for my Black Mage when we reunite :) 

I also have recently started this on switch. Originally rinsed it back in the ps2 days. Currently just making my way out of the Nalbina dungeons. My job boards are very similar. I think I went thief (whatever that’s called) with Balthier though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having a blast with this.  Was in the Something Sandsea yesterday and got massive chains together with the little Tusken dudes, got lots of loot and gil so actually managed to kit my team out.  Since we had a guest with us I thought it was a good chance to level.  By the time I hit the next boss though I absolutely destroyed it!

Can’t remember what’s best in terms of levelling the party, Balthier is my #1 so he is ever present but I’m trying to switch everyone else in a fair bit.  Ashe and Penelo and Fran are kinda interchangeable for me for focussing on levelling as they are all set to prioritise curing.  Then Vaan and Basch for the other spots.

I also need to figure gambits out a bit more.  Is the game smart enough to only cast Protect for example on someone who doesn’t have it already?

18 minutes ago, sprite said:

I also need to figure gambits out a bit more.  Is the game smart enough to only cast Protect for example on someone who doesn’t have it already?

Yeah, I think it casts for allies without it, and then only casts again if it wears off.

Also, don’t forget to order your gambits on your white mages so that the healing/support ones are a priority - it seems obvious but I had a few moments of “why are you attacking?... oh yeah” :D 

48 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Yeah, I think it casts for allies without it, and then only casts again if it wears off.

Also, don’t forget to order your gambits on your white mages so that the healing/support ones are a priority - it seems obvious but I had a few moments of “why are you attacking?... oh yeah” :D 

hahah yeah Fran, Penelo and Ashe all have cure on ally <50% as #1.  Seems to be working ok so far!