rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
SMD

Final Fantasy XII remake/remaster/rerelease/re-record not fade away?

21 hours ago, Paulando said:

The one in the waterway, yes ^_^

I loaded a save and tried it again. Changed the gambits to make one a healer on the main character (I do actually have Cure at this point), with the other two attacking with ranged weapons. It worked, and it went down without too much trouble.

Is this how the game works, then? Setting up gambits for each big battle, or is there a better way to play it?

For tough battles I turn of gambits and have full control. It's the best way without grinding.

48 minutes ago, nakamura said:

For tough battles I turn of gambits and have full control. It's the best way without grinding.

I found doing this a bit too stop-and-starty, but I do have the battles set to pause when I have the action menu up. When I had a decent set of gambits setup I set it to fast forward and the battle was over fairly quickly ^_^

Anyway, really enjoying this so far. The lack of random battles makes for a good change too.

So that's this weekends gaming sorted, then. Even though I'm halfway through World of Final Fantasy, FFXII is pobably my favourite of the lot so I'm looking forward to another run-through. 

IMAG0432.jpg

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, mdn2 said:

So that's this weekends gaming sorted, then. Even though I'm halfway through World of Final Fantasy, FFXII is pobably my favourite of the lot so I'm looking forward to another run-through.

Mine arrived today too but I've barely started Dragon's Dogma. I should really leave it on the shelf for a while...

It's my favourite Final Fantasy too. In fact, possibly the only one I really like. :ph34r: Fucking about with gambits is wonderful.

Just now, ann coulter said:

The cover is reversible too - has the much superior Japanese version on the inside.

XWLxCmx_d.jpg

I was tempted, but the spine is white and it sets my OCD off too much among all the red spines on my shelf. 

Picked mine up at my local games emporium who don't give a shit about release dates. Very nice port so far.

Really disappointed it doesn't have the pre-title-screen intro from the PS2 version, that totally got me hyped back in the day.

Despite picking this up for about 8 quid on PS4 a few months ago, I caved and bought it on Switch last night :lol:

I was about 8 hours into it, but hadn’t played it for a while. Like all RPGs I find it better suited to a handheld, so it made perfect sense. I have no reservations about starting it again - from the off it gives you a great balance of story/dialogue and meaningful fighting. Far too many JPRGs take too long to get going, but thankfully FFXII isn’t one of them ^_^

Just completed this on the Switch, and honestly I found it boring. After I had Penelo setup as a white mage only a few hunts caused me to reasses my gambits or accessories. The dungeons were boring, combat was just waiting for the gambits to kill the enemy 99% of the time, without a guide all the loot equipment was just a crapshoot, and an unnecessary one given the ease of beating everything but elite marks. The story had clearly put abridged and stitched together- it was much more slight than previous games. And my biggest annoyance- all status effects are only worthwhile for bosses, but bosses are immune to them. My Time Battlemage was used just for casting haste by the end. The techniques were all pretty rubbish too- if you weren't a mage character you were just attacking and stealing. If you were a mage you were just healing/buffing, casting spells against a weakness, or charging.

With that in mid, the gambit system was perplexing in design. Loads of pointless options for enemies, but no opportunities to change equipment on them, or obvious things like 'if enemy has item'. Meaning I tried never to equip elemental weapons.

• Upvote 2

I think the main criticism of the game has always been that the gambit system only really shows its strength when doing the elite hunts and bosses. If you want to even consider going after Gilgamesh, Hell Wyrm and Yiazmat you need your gambits so on point it's ridiculous.

I'd almost argue that the entire game is just training to take the optional end game bosses down.

I still think it's the best in the series. These games have always been as easy or challenging as you make them.

• Upvote 2

As @Gizamaluke says, the best part of the game is definitely the higher level hunts, where the battle system really comes into its own. The story and characters are pretty forgettable, but if you're playing an FF game for its story then you're playing the wrong game. It's all about the battle system, man, and this entry's is the best since materia in VII.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Are the high end hunts are susceptable to status effects like stop and disable?

Not really, no. I can understand why that's frustrating - I thought much the same when I played it: what's the point in having all these status-inflicting spells if you never really use them? But then those types of spells have always been extraneous in FF games (and most JRPGs, come to think of it).

The beauty of the battle system comes from setting up your party so well that you don't have to do anything apart from watch the action unfold spectacularly before your eyes. I know that probably doesn't sounds very appealing - a game that plays itself - but in practice, watching your party decimate a high-level enemy in seconds because of the tweaks you've made to their gambits is actually immensely satisfying and makes you feel like a genius battle commander or something.

If it wasn't for the nostalgia I feel for VII, I'd say that XII was my favourite FF game.

• Upvote 1

I did that. I literally sat the switch down and watched all the final battles. Because the final boss didn't have a health bar I browsed on my phone for a bit. But they were still pretty simplistic gambits (white mage had arise, protectga, curaga, echo herbs, charge, esuna etc; black mage cast spells according to weakness or flare if none (got rid of the reflect-attack after getting an ignore reflect ring; and basch just went beserk)I guess I was wanting something more akin to 'Human Resource Machine' gambit system.

I think it regarded turn based as backwards, but since then games like Bravely Default and Octopath have taken turn based and ran with it. For miles.

3 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I did that. I literally sat the switch down and watched all the final battles. Because the final boss didn't have a health bar I browsed on my phone for a bit. But they were still pretty simplistic gambits (white mage had arise, protectga, curaga, echo herbs, charge, esuna etc; black mage cast spells according to weakness or flare if none (got rid of the reflect-attack after getting an ignore reflect ring; and basch just went beserk)I guess I was wanting something more akin to 'Human Resource Machine' gambit system.

I think it regarded turn based as backwards, but since then games like Bravely Default and Octopath have taken turn based and ran with it. For miles.

Fair enough. Conversely, BD and OT bored me silly! I'd suggest giving a couple of the outstanding hunts you have a go and if you still don't like it then shelve it.

46 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

As @Gizamaluke says, the best part of the game is definitely the higher level hunts, where the battle system really comes into its own. The story and characters are pretty forgettable, but if you're playing an FF game for its story then you're playing the wrong game. It's all about the battle system, man, and this entry's is the best since materia in VII.

I’d argue that point, FF is my favourite series and the story’s of 6,7,8,9,10 are all very interesting and far outweigh any gameplay  

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, therearerules said:

These instructions are really all it has ever really taken to beat any mainline FF, the only real difference is you didn't have to select every instruction in real time. I really don't see it as the game playing itself any more than I see a game like Football Manager (where you pick team/tactics prior to and tweak during) as playing itself.

I would love to see the gambit system (and Ivalice too) used again. It always makes me sad when people don't get it (though I do understand why).

7 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I’d argue that point, FF is my favourite series and the story’s of 6,7,8,9,10 are all very interesting and far outweigh any gameplay  

Really?!

In my opinion the narratives are never anything more than overlong, convoluted messes. I replayed VII a few months ago for the first time in about ten years and the storyline is just complete nonsensical, poorly-translated rubbish. IX starts off well but descends into arbitrary sci-fi gubbins. VIII's story reads like it's been put together by an overly-emotional teenager who's taken acid (monsters being sent down to earth via an inverted tractor beam; time-travelling, dimension-crossing witches; mercenary training schools for traumatised children). I can remember precisely zilch about X's story, as forgettable as it was, apart from the whistling and HAHAHAHAHA! cutscenes, the memory of which are enough to make me not want to play the game again. All I can recall about XII's story is something vaguely Star Warsy about despotic empires and rebel alliances. I'd struggle to tell you all the characters' names or what happens beyond the first few hours.

I can understand people liking certain characters (although, again, lots of them, especially the protagonists, are often clichéd twats) and their relationships, perhaps, but to laud FF games for their plots is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

Ff8 I didn’t really appreciate until I was older and read a proper translation, the story is actually very deep with lots of cool ideas. Lunatic pandora, edea, adel, ultimecia, all really good concepts. 

FF7 is great, a mall infested soldier who has adapted the personality of another who transpired to be an ultimate puppet for sephiroth, I love it! 

ffX is really quite interesting, highlighting how blindly people follow religion without ever questioning its origins or why we do so. 

• Upvote 2

I love X, it does a great job at conveying the loneliness of Tidus, lost in a strange world. The scene where he sees Wakka for the first time is great, it's just a tiny bit of familiarity he can latch onto.

• Upvote 3

Still playing the Switch version of this and I love it once more. One of the few FFs I only completed once despite enjoying it so much. The story is a bit bare-bones, but at the same time the delivery of it is miles beyond any other FF. This type of writing mixed with VI's story would have been perfect. As it is, XII is a sort of reverse Star Wars: Balthier - Han, Fran - Chewy, Vaan - Luke, etc. It works, but it's not amazing either.

Combat/gambits I love for the same 'if you don't need to do anything, you're doing it right' reason described above. Part of the joy comes from decimating bosses/enemies with superb sequences. I can kind of see how this evolved into XIII's Paradigm system (which I also liked), but it's about as hands-off as you can go as opposed to Octopath, and pre-X FFs. (I really dislike X btw, both for story and combat system.) Having access to the new License Boards is also a godsend.

If there is a real issue with XII, it's that it doesn't have enough enemies and environments. Recycling of enemies with different palets begins almost immediately after starting the game and the way dungeons work and areas are designed, means everything feels very samey, which combined with the combat style, can make for a very dull experience indeed.

But god, do I have a mancrush for Balthier. :wub:

I think the story would be better if there was more of it shown. By the end Ashe loves Balthier, but they’ve barely shared 3 sentences. Balthier is Cid’s son, but that’s almost inconsequential. It was very emotionless, no matter how fun the characters were. Additionally, the undead ghosts who ruled everything- shouldn’t we have fought them when breaking the Suncryst? And why did the one undead turn Vaan into a metal god? The story would have made more sense without its weird ‘free will’ appendage.

43 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I think the story would be better if there was more of it shown. By the end Ashe loves Balthier, but they’ve barely shared 3 sentences. Balthier is Cid’s son, but that’s almost inconsequential. It was very emotionless, no matter how fun the characters were. Additionally, the undead ghosts who ruled everything- shouldn’t we have fought them when breaking the Suncryst? And why did the one undead turn Vaan into a metal god? The story would have made more sense without its weird ‘free will’ appendage.

This is why the stories in FF Games are rubbish. I played Zodiac Age on the PS4 about two years ago right through to the end, after spending about 60 hours on it, and I can't remember any of that. And even if I could remember it, it still sounds like convoluted tripe.

I think anyone going into an FF game expecting things like character arcs and understandable motivations and nuanced storytelling, or a narrative that, y'know, makes sense, is going to be severely disappointed.

Just now, therearerules said:

I think that's underselling the others. 6 & 7 especially.

I can't speak for 6 as I haven't played it in years, but have you actually played 7 recently? Like you, I was under the impression that the storyline was fantastic, like the rest of the game, but when I replayed it to completion over the summer I realised that this was actually a very rose-tinted view that I acquired from playing it so much as a kid. It starts off well, but by the time you get to about midway through disc two with all the stuff to do with Bugenhagen and the Lifestream and the WEAPONS, and all the rest of it, it quickly descends into nonsense. The stuff to do with Cloud and Zack and the memory wiping is actually quite interesting, but its poorly told and the translation is so creaky that you end up disengaged and not caring, or I didn't, anyway. 

I play FFVII regularly. Love it. The story works, it's crazy and off the wall, yet makes sense. All the characters have arcs (simplistic, but they're there) with appropriate emotional beats, and the central mystery is perfectly done.

VII is a bit of a mess but it's brilliant. The motivations of Sephiroth are superb and his whole history is weird and fascinating. Same with the Cloud and Zak thing, even the Cait Sith twist is smart. 

Most of the FF games have great story elements and themes but don't always get them across well in translation. 

• Upvote 1