IGNORED

Monster Hunter Generations & MHG Ultimate

Keyboard Koala

Totally different story if this was WiiU, but I am struggling to commit to Generations.  Bit too much, too samey and too soon after 4U.

And not including Moga Village or Lagi (so far..?) is a bit disappointing; they were my first exposure to MH and remain firm favourites

I bought this game, because it's Monster Hunter. But, partially because of Pokemon Go, and partially because of where my life is right now, I've not put any time into it at all. I basically did the first village quest, and the feeling that I would have to crawl for a few hours before the game lets me properly play it overcame me. I've not switched my 3DS on since.

I know I'll give it another shot soon, and hopefully it sinks its hooks, but I'm just not that bothered about it. 

1 hour ago, Stoikovich said:

Totally different story if this was WiiU, but I am struggling to commit to Generations.  Bit too much, too samey and too soon after 4U.

And not including Moga Village or Lagi (so far..?) is a bit disappointing; they were my first exposure to MH and remain firm favourites

The Moga map is in there as is Lagi. But yeah I am not playing this as much I thought I would be either, it has very little urgency, which is a good and bad thing, I shall just take it slow.

Multiplayer and using a different style are the two key things to make it stick, I reckon.

Honestly, aerial is such a difference to 4U that I couldn't go back now. And multiplayer is obviously where MonHun excels.

I was struggling with this for a while as felt a bit too soon after mh4u but I switched from dual blades to the gunlamce and am now loving it. I have been doing my best to stay away from the hunting horn until nearer endgame as that is my weapon of choice, the skills change the dynamic completely and for that alone it makes this a better game than 4u. More variation and now all the weapons are more mobile I don't see many insect glaive users which is great as I used to sit in parties where the other 3 would be insect glaive users.

After a slow start I have been devouring this lately and it's becoming one of my faves in the series, there's just so much of everything, Monsters, Armor sets, valid weapons, hunter arts.

Got to HR6 and been doing the Deviant version of Rathalos, Dreadking Rathalos. For those how do not know the deviant Monsters level up as you fight them, they all have armor sets with brilliant skills but these sets do not fully awaken until you level them up, how do you do this? Well, each time you defeat the monsters at each level they drop tickets that let you level up one piece of armor, work your way up to level 6 and you will open the dormant skill. 

dreadking.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

150 hours into this now, it's the best one I think.

Yes the gathering quests at the start are terrible but once you reach the meat there is just SO much to do. I love the new Deviant monsters and how you level up their gear, there's just a wealth of content and interesting armor sets to make.

Baffles me the amount of filler gathering quests their are tho, I know you don't really have to do them but this is the last game on earth that needs any filler, so odd Capcom sometimes.

• 1 month later...

So, this is getting an upgrade - introducing Monster Hunter XX (Jap. title):

Glybztr.jpg

Debut trailer

Monster Hunter XX will offer two new hunting styles with the Brave Style, and the Renkin Style. Also included are G-Rank quests, a new main monster called "Barufaruku", and a new Diablos variant. Prowlers will also be able to jump off monsters and more.

So, the biggest news is the new Brave Style, a style which focuses on continuous attacks. However, you can only equip one hunter art when using this style. The style’s biggest feature is its Brave State, which you can achieve by filling your Brave Gauge. You can accomplish that by parrying the attacks of monsters. While you are in your Brave State, the Brave Gauge gradually decreases again – however, continuously attacking and parrying will keep it from falling. Brave Style is intended as a “sharper” style which is easy to grasp.

When you’re in the Brave State, your evasiveness with certain weapon types increases and you are able to use powerful link attacks and special techniques. Here are some examples of these special attacks:

“Strong Charged Moving Slash” (Great Sword): a charged attack while moving
“Step Shot” (Light Bowgun): shoots a special bullet while moving
“True Charge” (Hammer): two extra strong charged attacks following the regular charged attack

The other new style is the “Renkin Style”, though there are few details available about it at the moment. Supposedly it is intended for people who want to “vigorously enjoy hunting”.

Some other new details:

The Meowstress’ little sister will appear in XX

XX’s director is Daisuke Ichihara and the main planner is Takurou Hiraoka; both of them were planners on Generations. Generations’ director, Yasunori Ichinose, oversees the work flow and provides concept supervision for XX

Balfark is an ancient dragon type monster that lives at a really high altitude. Both it and Ouma Diablos are connected to the main story

Development on the game us currently 70% complete

Data from Monster Hunter X (known in the west as Monster Hunter Generations), can be transferred to the new title. 

On 27-10-2016 at 14:19, Larsen B said:

I know they explicitly mentioned they wouldn't discuss the Switch during the MonHun Direct but if there is a Switch version, that's my system seller.

Well, I just noticed the March 2017 release date. No way that MH XX isn't going to be a Switch launch title. It has to be. Also adds more weight to the rumour that the Switch will be the first console where there'll be no longer a seperate handheld and home console division at Nintendo.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2016 at 13:15, Keyboard Koala said:

Well, I just noticed the March 2017 release date. No way that MH XX isn't going to be a Switch launch title. It has to be. Also adds more weight to the rumour that the Switch will be the first console where there'll be no longer a seperate handheld and home console division at Nintendo.

:(

If only you were right. A proper, HD version of this on switch would have been a system seller for me, regardless of all the other bullshit and nonsense Nintendo seem to have pulled. 

Yeah, I mean, it seems such an obvious fit for Monster Hunter. Japan wants handheld, West wants console. Switch is the natural solution. Crazy that there wasn't even a logo or anything at their big Japanese conference.

Of course, developing MH for Switch would mean having to overhaul the visuals significantly, which they haven't really done since, er, Monster Hunter on PS2. So ... I fully expect MH5 to be a 3DS exclusive.

I don't mind them on 3ds, but my 3ds tends to only get played when I'm away from home which, these days, is incredibly rare. You're absolutely right that this would be the best of both. I put 100 hours into MH3U on the Wii u, much of it lying in the sofa using the gamepad screen when my wife or son had nabbed the big TV. The 3ds, even the XL I have with the circle pad pro, is so bloody uncomfortable to play for any length of time for me and my giant monster hands. 

20 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I always thought the 3DS was a perfect fit for the series.

I feel like we've already argued about this before but how could you possibly think this? Even without thrashing out the whole handheld vs home console debate, how is 3DS perfect in comparison to Vita even? Unless you mean in terms of reaching the widest possible audience, which ... is exactly what you mean, actually, isn't it? In which case I, er, ramblingly agree. Even though I hate it on 3DS. ;)

On 16/07/2016 at 21:10, Melon_Bread said:

Well your just punishing yourself if you thought underwater fights were back, everyone hated them cept you and me it seems.

I did, at first. Then I fought the lagiacrus in what turned out to be a truly epic, memorable, white-knuckle battle to the death. 

3U was my first proper introduction to this series. It took a while to get into, I went through the same motions as everyone else new to the series; "gathering? Urgh!", "Why no lock on?" Etc, but by the end of my time with 3U I was a total convert, largely in part to the epic lagiacrus fights underwater. 

As I said, yesterday I decided to randomly reinstall 3U on the Wii u and my three year old son was totally enraptured watching me find and fight a rathalos (top tip: don't pick a rathalos as your first fight back after an almost two year break from the series when you can remember the controls, what to do, or to bring paintballs...). 50 minutes on the clock. Using a hammer, which was my farm weapon and rathalos was certainly not on farm. 10 minutes remaining and he's not dead. Five minutes and he's limping, but flies off. Shit, no paintballs. Stamina at minimum because I forgot to bring meat, or a spit. No potions because I forgot to make some before I left. God, I've forgotten so much. Head to area 8...He's there! A last ditch effort...Success! I actually stood up, fist pumped and shouted "yes, you bastard!". As did my three year old, copying his daddy after seeing him beat a dragon. Oops. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Wait, what's generations? The last one I bought was 4 (or was it 4U?). Then they released and updated version that I didn't bother with. I know there was that x version and the xx version, so where the heck does generations fit in? I'm so confused. 

X or Cross in Japan was called Generations in the West.