The Swindle (PC, PS3, PS4, Vita, Xbone) - Roguelike Stealthy Thievery

I discovered this by watching a Matt Lees vid, it's neat! By the chap what made Ben There, Dan That.

Youtube of Matt Lees' Let's Play:

https://youtu.be/ebsM_r3aWVk

What is it?
It's a platformer roguelike, in which you rob money from procedurally generated houses / warehouses etc over the course of a 100 day end-game time limit. Oh and it's steampunk London and has brilliant music.

the_swindle-2.png

As you rob places, you'll find money laying about (relatively small amounts) and computers to hack (relatively large amounts). If your character dies, or you complete a heist by returning to base, a day passes. Enemies in the stage are lethal but low risk (it's not really Mark of the Ninja levels of stealth initially, but it doesn't really need it) When you are spotted, the police are alerted and reach the level within a (seemingly random) amount of time. The police have guns and can kill you instantly; but you still have a chance of getting back to your escape pod to keep the money you've nabbed. Hell, you can even continue robbing a level for a short while before things get dangerous. :D

You decide when to leave a level; it's not always possible to reach every bit of cash when visiting a level, and you can land yourself in situations impossible to escape.

You use the quids you steal (literal use of pounds as a game currency, btw :wub:) to upgrade your thieves with better abilities and get more stealing options. Very basic examples of these are capability to hack doors, or unlocking new districts in the city to visit.

The progression of difficulty is ace, as it seems to work both on the time passed (i.e. certain enemies appear once you've reached a number of days left) and on location (i.e. second area has new tech preventing easy entry to buildings).

It's fucking sweet, basically.

Lessons Learned
I want to keep a journal of the lessons I learn while playing this, consider them 'noob tips' but you may not want to read this spoiler if you enjoy working this stuff out yourself:

• After getting spotted, enemies will destroy cash laying about
  • Don't fall too far
  • Don't fuck up hacking on mines or else you die
  • Get door hack upgrade before spending cash on the second area
  • Locked doors can't be shut again.
  • Police aren't that scary, spend time studying them
  • Voodoo enemies, gas blinds you (for a long time! Can't even see how to hack!)
  • Always hit a new enemy when. It's down to check it's dead
  • can go straight to area 2 after 1 (start is lv 0) , no new gear needed (ie door hack)
  • Bombs are very useful
  • Don't hack terminals with padlocks on the screen (can disable them I guess)
  • Smash through windows is useful
  • Watch out for the small electric traps!
  • Watch out for the shutters that squash you
  • STOP RUSHING
  • Consider damage upgrade, level 2 has tough enemies
  • Maybe hang about on level 1 a bit longer to earn cash for upgrades in a more low risk way.

Reviews:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-27-the-swindle-review
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-swindle-review/
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PS+Vita/The+Swindle/review.asp?c=66715

Steam Page:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/369110

Out now, 10.19 on Steam until Aug 4th.

PSN Store Page:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/the-swindle/cid=EP4395-CUSA02311_00-THESWINDLECROSSB

PS3, PS4 and Vita too! And the same price!

Xbone Verison out on Friday 31st.

He accidentally released it on Steam for an hour or two yesterday. I bought it unaware and then spent a few confused hours googling why I couldn't install it. Fairplay to him he pinned a very apologetic and reasonable post alerting people to his mistake.

If memory serves I think he said it should be available today 2:00pm BST

It's very good but I find it extremely frustrating (I have a very low threshold however). I feel like it breaks the golden rule of death not necessarily being your fault all the time, I've experienced this mostly in the slightly flaky grabbing on and falling off walls. It doesn't happen a lot but I do feel now and again it's hard to predict when the character will cling on to one of the corners above your head.

It is however very satisfying negotiating a level finding alternate ways in and liberating cash! One other thing that may annoy weirdos like me:

I don't mind losing my XP combo (This just multiplies your stolen cash on each successful heist) on failure but strangely find getting a new random character on each death quickly diminishing my interest in continuing a run. (I've restarted at least 4 or 5 times already and not seen through a 100 ingame day run yet) - So if you're slightly OCD about that sort of thing too it's something to be mindful of.

Oh man this is great! I agree with Mr Noyce about the two-block height jumping, it's weird. It also seems a bit incongruent to me that you jump higher from a wall jump than from standing. Other than that, though, it's fantastic. I've managed an hour, 78 days remaining and had a great time observing and learning systems, etc :)

I love how the music changes once you are spotted :wub:

Oh and: there a Vita version too, guys!

I'll stream some tonight, possibly!

Oh man this is great! I agree with Mr Noyce about the two-block height jumping, it's weird. It also seems a bit incongruent to me that you jump higher from a wall jump than from standing. Other than that, though, it's fantastic. I've managed an hour, 78 days remaining and had a great time observing and learning systems, etc :)

I love how the music changes once you are spotted :wub:

Oh and: there a Vita version too, guys!

I'll stream some tonight, possibly!

It's the same in Super Meat Boy, fyi.

Think I might pick this up for the weekend, would make a nice change of pace from the Witcher 3.

Oh man this ramps up the challenge considerably pretty quickly! It's great fun but I'm making tons of mistakes!

Funny how items I thought superficial initially (like increased movement speed) seem very tempting once the days pass quicker and quicker.

It is! I've nearly finished my first hundred days, I'm probably not even going to unlock level 3 (you start on lvl 0) at this rate!

Might have been over eager in proceeding to level 2, it could be a better idea to stay in area 1 a bit longer to earn money for the skills I'm now seeing are pretty essential to clear those enemies!

My only gripe really has been I've had a handful of deaths where I was left feeling a bit like I didn't know/understand what killed me, which kind of robs you of the valuable satisfying lesson learning.

Junt finished my first 100 days! Was tempted to restart as it was clearly hopeless but I ploughed on to the end in case anything carried over / happened. It didn't :( But! I did use the last 30 odd heists to try out some new gear and learn some new tricks!

Has anyone mastered the door barge? I had the upgrade for it, only managed to do it once, couldn't figure it out!! It says run and press Y but no matter what I've tried it fails.

Biggest thing I learned this playthrough: bombs. are. essential. Sometimes you gotta go digging!

Superb game though. Can't wait to get stuck in again, I will be formulating my upgrade plan while decorating today! :D