rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MW_Jimmy

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Definitive Edition on Switch)

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

Localisation was very childish. The graphical update wasn’t very good. I haven’t the patience to play a 100 hour long game on a handheld. Ultimately I came to the conclusion I’d far rather replay the PS1 original than the port.

A DS port in a similar vein to DQIV (which was a port of the PS1 remake) would have been far preferable. Or even better a port using the same graphical style to the original on a home console. The PS2 remake of DQV was glorious. DS port not quite as good.

I'm the opposite nowadays. Can only commit to long JRPGs on handhelds. Would probably end up playing XI through Remote Play on the Vita.

• Empathy 1

8 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

I'm the opposite nowadays. Can only commit to long JRPGs on handhelds. Would probably end up playing XI through Remote Play on the Vita.

I'm the same, so I'm determined to wait for the Switch version of this. Playing JRPGs on a handheld is just easier for me. 

I’ve gone the other way, previously I would be all about a portable RPG but since playing Final Fantasy XV and Xenoblade Chronicles X I’m all about playing RPGs on the big screen again. Probably helps that I no longer commute on public transport too.

• Upvote 1

Wish the length of these hadn't bloated so much since VII. The 25-35 hours of IV & V is perfect.

Started VII on 3DS and was liking it a lot, but then heard it's like 70-80 hours to just get from A-B. Had to bail.

XI is a tad shorter according to HowLongToBeat, but still pretty massive.

Now this is getting close can I hold off for the Switch version or not ^_^ I seriously don't think I can. It's between this and Spiderman though for my main game next month currently.

The UK one is actually pretty good sometimes depending on who's hosting it. They are enthusiastic but quite balanced in their appraisals of the stuff they see. 

Got to say as much as i'm hoping Spiderman will be fantastic I fear i'm going to go the same way as I did with God Of War. I waited with high expectations for that game with all the hype (in fact I didn't get it right away) but everyone was telling me how great it was but I just didn't find it to be. I'm fearful that I will be the same with Spiderman so i'm contemplating holding fire on that for a month or so (maybe rent it first to decide if it's a definate buy).

After reading the thread on ResetEra about the composers homophobic and war crimes denying attitude, this has dropped right off my radar. The game doesn't deserve my money. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

After reading the thread on ResetEra about the composers homophobic and war crimes denying attitude, this has dropped right off my radar. The game doesn't deserve my money. 

Wait what

18 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I'm sure a similar discussion was had regarding the maker of Kingdom Come Deliverance. But because of one person and his views your willing to condemn a game worked on by many more people who quite possibly don't have the same view as him? Am I reading that right?

*Note I totally agree he's a d*ck, in fact there are probably people who work on any video game, film or tv series that have views just as badly with the way the world is currently (just don't air it so publicly).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Luseth said:

I'm sure a similar discussion was had regarding the maker of Kingdom Come Deliverance. But because of one person and his views your willing to condemn a game worked on by many more people who quite possibly don't have the same view as him? Am I reading that right?

*Note I totally agree he's a d*ck, in fact there are probably people who work on any video game, film or tv series that have views just as badly with the way the world is currently (just don't air it so publicly).

Well, as someone who has had a brick thrown through my car window with homophobic slurs on it, I think I'm perfectly entitled not to want to give him any money. Others have worked on the game, but my only option as a gamer is to vote with my wallet. Which I will do. 

I didn't buy Kingdom Come, either. While it's true there are probably others behind closed doors who share the same opinion as these pieces of shit, all the ones I know about will be avoided by me. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Luseth said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with showing some solidarity.

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

At first glance I'd say there's a pretty big difference between the composer who only really influences the music, and the lead designer who on KCD was literally refusing to offer any representation because he's a bigoted piece of shit.

17 minutes ago, Broker said:

At first glance I'd say there's a pretty big difference between the composer who only really influences the music, and the lead designer who on KCD was literally refusing to offer any representation because he's a bigoted piece of shit.

Oh I agree, admittedly I bought that game as well and I'm not saying @mdn2 shouldn't boycott a game because of his/her beliefs. I just think it's very much of a punishing the many because of the few.

As I say, if I let someone's opinions (no matter how bad) sway me on purchasing something. A bit more outlandish, China doesn't agree with free speech and yet we buy Chinese products all the time, fueling their economy which certainly doesn't discourage their behavior for example or the number of celebrities that have been caught out with racist or homophobic comments that wouldn't necessarily stop me watching a Chuck Norris or Tom Cruise film for example as they aren't the only people who have worked on their films. If I did that with regards to everything I disagree with then I wouldn't own anything and I would never do anything ^_^ I'm pretty sure there are issues with people's views in every walk of life, humans are just a horrible species ^_^

As I say each to their own and I do appreciate the fact that people are much more willing to stand up for what they believe in these days.

I will however buy this game ^_^ Just haven't decided for which console yet. That said i've just pre-ordered Spider man elsewhere and I have over £50 on my game card so I might buy this through game and have both.

27 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Oh I agree, admittedly I bought that game as well and I'm not saying @mdn2 shouldn't boycott a game because of his/her beliefs. I just think it's very much of a punishing the many because of the few.

As I say, if I let someone's opinions (no matter how bad) sway me on purchasing something. A bit more outlandish, China doesn't agree with free speech and yet we buy Chinese products all the time, fueling their economy which certainly doesn't discourage their behavior for example or the number of celebrities that have been caught out with racist or homophobic comments that wouldn't necessarily stop me watching a Chuck Norris or Tom Cruise film for example as they aren't the only people who have worked on their films. If I did that with regards to everything I disagree with then I wouldn't own anything and I would never do anything ^_^ I'm pretty sure there are issues with people's views in every walk of life, humans are just a horrible species ^_^

As I say each to their own and I do appreciate the fact that people are much more willing to stand up for what they believe in these days.

I will however buy this game ^_^ Just haven't decided for which console yet. That said i've just pre-ordered Spider man elsewhere and I have over £50 on my game card so I might buy this through game and have both.

You get a set of eight pin badges if you pre-order with GAME.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Steven said:

The UK one is actually pretty good sometimes depending on who's hosting it. They are enthusiastic but quite balanced in their appraisals of the stuff they see. 

Worth noting that Joe Skrebels is the only person I've heard of that's seen Cyberpunk 2077 and didn't like it, so I'm not too concerned if he didn't think much of Spider-Man either. It was funny listening to him try and tell his co-hosts why Cyberpunk was bad and then at the end of they both just went "you've actually made me even more excited for it". Oops :lol:

I’m much more hyped for this than I am Spider-Man. I’m into the swinging and being Peter and MJ but I’m very worried about the combat in it, in the trailers it looks like Arkham style combat that creates huge strings of attacks with a few button presses. That combined with the massive number of QTE parts make me feel like outside of the swinging it might be one of those games where you press a few things and the game plays you cool stuff happening that you kind of feel like you’re doing.

On the flip side, DQXI is a known quantity, beautiful and exciting. It’s just a shame the composer is a horrible cunt.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Broker said:

On the flip side, DQXI is a known quantity, beautiful and exciting. It’s just a shame the composer is a horrible cunt.

Yep, and I'll still buy it.  I'd prefer it if people didn't hold these kind if views, but it's not going to stop me playing the newest game in a series I love.

• Upvote 1