Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition for every platform! (including Xbox Game Pass)

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Better loading times will be a more appreciable improvement.

Were they bad before? Just ordered a copy and looking forward to sinking sometime into it over Xmas. It's amazing just how much fast some games are, GoW seems lightning fast compared to before.

Lets science it:

Lets say every loading bar takes 20 seconds normally (about right for most loading speeds last gen), and that you will see at least 3 loading bars over the course of an hour's play (conservative estimate). Then over the course of 100 hours that's 100 minutes of your life wasted for a game to load a bloody town or whatever. Cut that down even by half and you could have finished that game in 99 hours and 10 minutes instead.

Massive.

My favourite bit of localisation work so far when fighting a character for a quest:

Spoiler

Leg sweeping an executioner guy on an island and he goes "Ow! Me coccyx!" :lol:

The English localisation team deserve a huge amount of credit for this game having as much charm as it does.

Very big spoilers for later in the game:

Spoiler

With a character moment when Hendrick picks up a

Spoiler

Dirty magazine. The voice actor's performance when he's like "Incredible! Mint condition!" Made me choke on my beer :lol:

Yesterday I got reminded of why I stopped playing singlerplayer games. After trekking through a small castle to its basement I was suddenly put into a boss fight with no chance of avoiding it. With no mana and thus no way to heal both characters were soon dead and I was back at the starting village having lost about 1h of playtime. 

Who in this time and age has time for that?

2 hours ago, koefoed said:

Yesterday I got reminded of why I stopped playing singlerplayer games. After trekking through a small castle to its basement I was suddenly put into a boss fight with no chance of avoiding it. With no mana and thus no way to heal both characters were soon dead and I was back at the starting village having lost about 1h of playtime. 

You can save at camps and in church. I never lose more than 15 minutes, and I also haven't died once yet so far. Maybe because I was grinding a bit in the demo and that progress carried over. I am no over half way in with properly diversified character skill trees so battles go well. 

18 hours ago, Benny said:

The English localisation team deserve a huge amount of credit for this game having as much charm as it does.

Absolutely. Love the monster design/names and also the localisations... text is superb and voice acting in english also great for about half of characters (to be expected in game this size).

22 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

You can save at camps and in church. I never lose more than 15 minutes, and I also haven't died once yet so far. Maybe because I was grinding a bit in the demo and that progress carried over. I am no over half way in with properly diversified character skill trees so battles go well. 

Yes that was my last save, at a church. I find it annoying that you cant use items once in combat. With zero mana I have no chance of surviving, and no way of getting out. Also annoying that the enemies dont have a healthbar, not much strategy involved when you have no knowledge about the state of the enemy. 

55 minutes ago, koefoed said:

Yes that was my last save, at a church. I find it annoying that you cant use items once in combat. With zero mana I have no chance of surviving, and no way of getting out. Also annoying that the enemies dont have a healthbar, not much strategy involved when you have no knowledge about the state of the enemy. 

Fair point.

It does let you keep the XP you earned before you died and takes a small amount of your gold which is better than it being reloading you last save like most JRPGs. But I can understand why it would be frustrating especially with Dragon Quest's archaic save system. 

4 hours ago, koefoed said:

Who in this time and age has time for that?

I haven’t played DQXI so it might have been changed, but the traditional approach in the series was that if you died you kept all the experience and items gained but lost half your money.

3 hours ago, koefoed said:

I find it annoying that you cant use items once in combat. 

You can though. 

Transfer items from the Item Bag to anyone in your party. 

Set Tactics to Follow Orders. 

Then on each party members turn you can select Item, choose the item from their inventory and who to use it on. 

Easy mid combat healing if your spell casters aren't available. 

9 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

You can though. 

Transfer items from the Item Bag to anyone in your party. 

Set Tactics to Follow Orders. 

Then on each party members turn you can select Item, choose the item from their inventory and who to use it on. 

Easy mid combat healing if your spell casters aren't available. 

Thanks I will try that. I didnt think there was a personal inventory bar the equipable items. Have transfered a lot of those but never tried it with potions. 

I just reached the midway major plot point. Damn, that was amazing. Excited for the second half of (I presume) of the game. So far having a blast with this game on Game Pass on my Series X. Hope more will follow... I truly believe if they bring out good games people will play them, also on Xbox. 

On 13/12/2020 at 10:20, ryodi said:

It does let you keep the XP you earned before you died and takes a small amount of your gold which is better than it being reloading you last save like most JRPGs. But I can understand why it would be frustrating especially with Dragon Quest's archaic save system. 

The thing I hate most is that when you save it keeps asking "do you want to continue your journey" every frickin time. 

I believe also that when yo die you get 3 options (last save point, last auto save and one more).

7 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I just reached the midway major plot point.

I bet you didn't. Reach midway that is. This game is bloody huge - when you think you're done, you're only halfway!

Spoiler

FWIW, I'm doing the trials right now - Abject Terror and Darkest Despair are proving bloody tricky!

Chalk me up as another playing DQ for the first time ever via Game Pass and enjoying it immensely.

As a first timer there are quite a few things I either didn't register when the game told me, or it didn't tell me at all, or it did but it was on one of the blink-and-you'll-miss-em loading screens. For example, the thing with moving items between the bag and characters, or the fact that you can set the characters to fight automatically in a style of your choosing (offensive, cautious etc.) rather than manually select every action. Or even where the menu is (on the Y button, obviously). Luckily my eldest was on hand to point these things out to me. #oldmangamer

22 minutes ago, Darren said:

Chalk me up as another playing DQ for the first time ever via Game Pass and enjoying it immensely.

As a first timer there are quite a few things I either didn't register when the game told me, or it didn't tell me at all, or it did but it was on one of the blink-and-you'll-miss-em loading screens. For example, the thing with moving items between the bag and characters, or the fact that you can set the characters to fight automatically in a style of your choosing (offensive, cautious etc.) rather than manually select every action. Or even where the menu is (on the Y button, obviously). Luckily my eldest was on hand to point these things out to me. #oldmangamer

Usually ok for field stuff, but probably best to get to know some moves/spells for boss battles.

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

How's everyone going with this? 

Just over 40h on the clock now and still loving it. The localisation is superb.

Any early recommendations for a very similar game to play next? 

Similar in which way? There's nothing really exactly like it outside of its own series but it's an extremely influential series. kind of like the way nothing is exactly like Zelda games.

Gameplay wise, Yakuza Like a Dragon. Setting, story, tone and theme is totally different obviously but the combat system is very similar and the main character is explicitly a fan of Dragon Quest games. Other than that you might like the Persona games. 

In terms of tone, style, aesthetics etc, I love Dragon Quest Builders 2. Ys maybe?