Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition for every platform! (including Xbox Game Pass)

3 hours ago, gospvg said:

Best RPG of the last generation? Best Classic Generic JRPG maybe but I’d think Persona 5 would give it a run for best of the last generation.

Absolutely destroys Persona 5, I mean name another character in the same league as Sylvando, not possible. 

The original release has been delisted from Steam and PSN and Resetera is losing their mind over it because this version looks slightly worse because it was originally made for the Switch.

My biggest issue with the game is how slow the walking inside buildings is compared to outdoors.

46 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Absolutely destroys Persona 5, I mean name another character in the same league as Sylvando, not possible. 

DQ just felt very familiar and generic. Yes it plays well, has some good characters but it was a by the book JRPG.

i completed it and got the platinum but Persona 5 had more style and felt fresher an experience.

2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

DQ just felt very familiar and generic. Yes it plays well, has some good characters but it was a by the book JRPG.

i completed it and got the platinum but Persona 5 had more style and felt fresher an experience.

Plays amazingly well to suit every taste and skill level (plays itself if you want) has the best characters and the best stories (with world class translation). Of course it’s familiar, that’s the point, but the upgrade tree and battle system is incredibly nuanced and adaptable. It’ll be a very long time before we see another if we do at all with the same people at the helm. 

3 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Interesting question though (perhaps for another thread) but DQ and Persona are two series that still cleave to the classic turn-based JRPG battle system: what other current/last gen JRPGs still do that and are worth playing?

(My wife especially loves JRPGs but isn't a fan of pseudo-action/semi-real time battle systems that most series seem to have transitioned to now).

The latest Yakuza game is getting quite a bit of praise, and is apparently a pretty pure JRPG.

40 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Plays amazingly well to suit every taste and skill level (plays itself if you want) has the best characters and the best stories (with world class translation). Of course it’s familiar, that’s the point, but the upgrade tree and battle system is incredibly nuanced and adaptable. It’ll be a very long time before we see another if we do at all with the same people at the helm. 

I love it as well. Yes some of it is generic, some of it is bland, but overall it has tons of charm and a very good battle system and it runs smooth on Series X (to be expected from Switch game). I tried Vesperia the other day and immediately got turn off by the battle system and deleted the game. 

1 minute ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

It is a Switch game port so it should run incredibly well, on the Series X it is very smooth.

Got decent hopes then! My S arrives on Monday, and was gonna buy this on PS5 anyway so game pass has saved me some Dosh!

Loved it on PS4, but the faster battle system makes this an easy replay :)

1 minute ago, SuperCapes said:

Loved it on PS4, but the faster battle system makes this an easy replay :)

I run it at Ultra Fast battle speed, auto-forward dialogues and semi-automatic battles in terms of programming team members to do certain things and managing their skill tree to complement each other. 

So had around a couple of hours on this tonight. Not sure what to make of it. Lovely visuals and music. It's the first JRPG I've tried since Eternal Sonata back on the 360.

Story so far is a bit cheesy and finding the accents on the dialogue for the characters somewhat comical - cross between cornish and cockney. 

Early days I guess already been chased by a dragon :) Still not sure about JRPGs though. I'll give it another couple of hours see it it holds my interest. 

16 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Story so far is a bit cheesy and finding the accents on the dialogue for the characters somewhat comical - cross between cornish and cockney. 

Early days I guess already been chased by a dragon :) Still not sure about JRPGs though. I'll give it another couple of hours see it it holds my interest. 

I think they made the starting town sound westcountry to indicate the rural middle-of-nowhere country bumpkin upbringing. It'll soon change.

55 minutes ago, MattyP said:

So had around a couple of hours on this tonight. Not sure what to make of it. Lovely visuals and music. It's the first JRPG I've tried since Eternal Sonata back on the 360.

This is one that you really have to stick with imo - unusually in game design I think it saves all its best content for the middle and end. Like a lot of JRPGs love it or loathe it the first 10 hrs are more or less an extended tutorial.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Exactly the same thing here. Just started it tonight, not sure if I'll stick with it. I do like the DQ games, but I find them a bit restrictive these days.

I wish movement in combat actually did something e.g. back attacks doing more damage. I suppose it wouldn't be DQ if it moved with the times though.

10 hours ago, MattyP said:

All I can say is stick with it you won’t be disappointed :) 

2 hours ago, Parksey said:

Is this 60fps on the Series S, or is it another niggly regret digging in my side, pushing me into the ill-advised early upgrade to an X? 

I think it is, it's 60fps on my One X. There's a demo you can try.