Mobster movies/TV shows

Using the search function, I could not find a specific thread for the matter in hand, so apologies if this has been covered off before.

For the next couple of months, I will be sailing through a period of fiscal turbulence, so evenings in watching a backlog of movies I have along with the odd classic to re-watch will be the order of the day. Last night was Goodfellas, a terrific film. So, I thought I'd look into other media in that genre. Now the obvious one to me is The Soprano's, to which I am due to commence watching from tonight to satiate my immediate requirements. Never seen a single episode so looks like I am in for a treat.

Any other recommendations along similar lines to while away evenings for the foreseeable future? I really have had no interest in TV for years, so I've no idea what's out there and is relevant which is a bit scandalous as I have Sky as well

I was browsing Now TV yesterday and found a mini series from 2007 called Corleone based on the life of some famous Mafia big chief. It follows his life story from his childhood in Sicily. It's in Italian and the first episode was decent enough. I looked it up and it seems well regarded so I'm going to stick at it.

You know what, The Godfather and its sequel gets a lot of hype and praise and all that, but they're fucking good films. I watched them with my girlfriend recently and she was just utterly absorbed by them. They'll already be on your radar though, I'm sure.

I second that you should have Boardwalk Empire in as your series after Sopranos. I really should watch The Sopranos. All my fave gangster films have been mentioned too. Millers Crossing!

Thanks for the recommendations. Watched the first two episodes of The Sopranos last night. Not feeling it yet, although I'm sure it's just setting the scene at the moment. I do like the interplay between Tony and his mother though

To add to the above:

Ghost Dog - idiosyncratic one-off features Italian mobsters who love rap

Fargo (TV series) - Coen-esque mini series features memorable mobsters. Season 2 (new cast & story set in the same universe) hype train has started

I adored Eastern Promises, I need to see that again. It's a marvellous film.

The Departed is one of the most quotable movies of all time. Love that script.

Gangster Squad is all over the shop, in tone:

Part Dick Tracy, part untouchables, part who framed roger rabbit.

I guess its the subject matter, the period details, and the terrible acting.

Not strictly gangsters, but The Bank Job is worth a look. Written by the guys who did the Porridge TV show in the 70.

It's based on a true story (or elements of it are, and there's still debate as to whether it was a true story in the first place).

Good change of pace for Jason Statham and it's got a great sense of time.

tumblr_inline_n46d8mTKCs1qcxesa.gif

The only people who think the DeNiro/Pacino flick is better are people who haven't seen the original.

It's tighter, punchier, and doesn't have Al Pacino stinking up the whole joint with the hammiest acting since Jon Hamm played a ham-obsessed Hammy the Hamster in Hamsters of New Ham 2: The Hammening.

Gangs of NY is pretty terrible IMO, one of Scorsese's worst pictures. Di Caprio looks like he's never been in a fight in his life. DDL makes it worth watching though. American Gangster is very good, pretty underrated too.