English Franchise League Season 2015/16

Timmo

9 hours ago, Timmo said:

Karanka back at Boro then, somehow. I expect them to 1-0 their way to success now, playing unapologetically rigid - but successful - football.

Fingers crossed!

Sadly, I neither see us scoring or keeping clean sheets at the moment. We really miss Ayala, Nugent is, well, Nugent, and this Jamie Rhodes fella's not as good as his twin brother unfortunately. 

On 6 March 2016 at 1:55 PM, SuperMBo said:

Good win for Ipswich yesterday; Forest will be very disappointed not to go away with at least a point but I'm obviously massively biased so screw them - we're great. The highlights on 5 last night (all two minutes of them) made it look like one way traffic for Forest in the first half which wasn't really the case although they had the best chances. 

But most importantly, and whisper it, but WE PASSED THE BALL! Foley was, by our standards, great - it made such a difference to have someone in the middle of the pitch actually looking for the ball and willing to have it as his feet and face the opposition goal. And it had the knock-on effect of making everyone else look a lot better, all of a sudden Luke Hyam looks like a professional footballer, and someone like Sears, who actually is a good footballer, looks like a world-beater as he's getting passes to feet and can run at people. 

Most positive I've felt coming away from a game for ages. Just in time for the season ticket prices to go up. 

Who is this prick? Building up my hope and expectations like that.

Normal business resumed at Portman Road this evening - 45 minutes of absolute tedium, probably a solid minute of head tennis at one point, slightly better second half livened up by a penalty that I couldn't see clearly why it was given (suspect it will be one of those normal fouls that happen at every corner in the the Championship but never get given - but it went our way so great!) and then a very good second goal. 

It's the hope that's going to kill me. 

4 hours ago, merman said:

It could be worse, SuperMBo. We could be like Derby and appoint Harry Redknapp as a football consultant...

Super 'arry helping out Jordan in the world cup qualifiers as well.  When will the man find time to a)sleep and b) have a round of golf?

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:43 PM, SuperMBo said:

Who is this prick? Building up my hope and expectations like that.

Normal business resumed at Portman Road this evening - 45 minutes of absolute tedium, probably a solid minute of head tennis at one point, slightly better second half livened up by a penalty that I couldn't see clearly why it was given (suspect it will be one of those normal fouls that happen at every corner in the the Championship but never get given - but it went our way so great!) and then a very good second goal. 

It's the hope that's going to kill me. 

You looked well organised, etc against us on Saturday, but never really threatened going forward at all and I think we deserved our win. Not a great game and I wouldn't have been surprised at a last minute equaliser - but like most teams we've played this season everyone looks pretty ordinary (including ourselves).

With Derby stuttering - I reckon its 2 from Derby, Cardiff, Ipswich, Sheff Wed and Birmingham for the last two play-off spots. I think the top 4 will stay the top 4 now (unless Boro can't recover from last weeks nonsense). Not a lot to pick between the teams - anyone who can pull off 3 wins on the spin will probably lock down a spot given how everyone beats everyone in this league. We've only won two on the trot twice this season.

19 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Super 'arry helping out Jordan in the world cup qualifiers as well.  When will the man find time to a)sleep and b) have a round of golf?

And what is actually going to do?

Harry has admitted today he's not a director of football, he's not going to make signings, and he's not going to be in the stands with a hotline to the dugout.

Absolutely, the decade before we were playing in European and domestic finals with high placed finishes.

We went from beating Juventus to losing to Chorley.

1988 was also the year of the Football League centenary games at Wembley too, I don't know much about them but I think it was a competition between the founding members.  I think Wolves played Everton at Wembley that year too, Burnley must have played in that competition as well.

As an aside, my dad's having a big heart operation next week, so if you could ask Burnley to be nice enough to lose today that'd be appreciated :)

Abysmal play by Ipswich today - fair play to Rotherham, you're one of the worst teams I've seen here all year and we did everything in our power to ensure we lost to you today - you scored from us having a free kick in your half! Unbelievable. I have no idea how you've been beating Middlesborough and Wednesday (and clawing a draw back against Derby) - Rotherham look like a team that should be at the bottom of the league. And today we looked like some of their mates who'd turned up to watch and got roped into making the numbers up. I hope you stay up as you'd brought 300 fans along today and the team was clearly playing for each other and giving it a go. Leon Best is still a prick though. 

McCarthy should look at the game today and think "Christ I fucked that up". We had a game winning midfield on the bench and instead started at home with a midfield of Douglas, Hyam and Skuz, none of whom can pass the ball forward (or at all in Hyam's case). The same team was shit on Tuesday but effectively won due to a penalty from nothing - I just can't understand the thought process that sticks with that underwhelming team when Foley was so good against Forest, and Pringle and Feeney are proven Championship quality who can run at people. Feeney was the high point today for us - looked really good when he came on at half time. Shows the shit situation that Bolton are in that they have to let him out on loan (my understanding is that if he plays another game for them they have to pay more in transfer fees?). 

Anyway, Wolves next. Hopefully we can cheer up Dr Manhattan's Dad.  

I went to the Rotherham v Boro game and you are right, they are truly awful but with their one decent chance in the 88th they got the win.

The first 45 we could have been out of sight but our own fault for poor finishing.They're riding their luck and I'm glad though as I hope they survive.

The few Rotherham fans at wotk can't believe their luck at the moment, especially coming from 3 down to Derby last week. Warlock has got them believing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2016 at 5:19 PM, Baring said:

Fucking Smithstock has screwed Boro with his jinx!

On 3/12/2016 at 5:28 PM, Rev said:

I like that he hasn't updated his signature yet.

On 3/1/2016 at 1:32 PM, Timmo said:

Anyone seen Smithstock?

image.jpeg

Increasingly weird behaviour from McCarthy after the draw with Wolves yesterday. Can't help thinking he's getting ready to jump ship (I assume Villa are giving him strong signals or something). To be honest, I wouldn't mind if he did - I can't think of anyone obvious who would be better (who would actually join us) but equally I don't think McCarthy has any ideas about how to get us in the playoffs.

I'd accept anyone that won't play Skuze and Douglas at the same time. 

Increasingly weird behaviour from McCarthy after the draw with Wolves yesterday. Can't help thinking he's getting ready to jump ship (I assume Villa are giving him strong signals or something). To be honest, I wouldn't mind if he did - I can't think of anyone obvious who would be better (who would actually join us) but equally I don't think McCarthy has any ideas about how to get us in the playoffs.

I'd accept anyone that won't play Skuze and Douglas at the same time. 

Hopefully this is readable and not double posted.

That time of the season again.  All mistakes are mine.

GP  PTS  GD

Burnley       40  77   30

Middlesbrough 39  76   29

-------------------------

Brighton      40  75   18

Hull          39  69   27

Sheff Wed     40  68   22

Derby         40  67   15

Cardiff       40  63    9

Ipswich       40  60    2

Birmingham    39  56    4

Preston       40  56    1

QPR           40  52    3

Wolves        40  52   -4

Reading       39  51    1

Brentford     39  49   -6

Leeds         39  48   -9

Blackburn     40  46   -1

Forest        40  46   -5

Huddersfield  40  45   -5

Fulham        40  44   -5

Bristol City  40  44  -22

Rotherham     40  43  -17

MK Dons       40  37  -21

Charlton      40  36  -34

Bolton        40  26  -35

I'll do this more in depth as teams drop out of the running for various things but:

97 points required for the championship.
92 points required for promotion
82 points required for a playoff position
56 points required for safety

Everyone from Preston up is safe from the drop.
Everyone from Preston down cannot be automatically promoted.
Everyone from Blackburn down cannot reach a playoff spot.

Selected remaining fixtures:

Burnley:   Leeds (H), Birmingham (A), Middlesboro (H), Preston (A), QPR (H), Charlton (A)
Middlesboro: Preston (H), Reading (H), Bolton (A), Burnley (A), Ipswich (H), Birmingham (A), Brighton (H)
Brighton: Nottm Forest (A), Fulham (H), QPR (H), Charlton (A), Derby (H), Middlesboro (A)
Hull: Huddersfield (A), Wolves (H), Reading (A), Leeds (H), Brentford (H), Bolton (A), Rotherham (H)
Sheff Wed: Bristol C (A), Ipswich (H), MK Dons (H), Derby (A), Cardiff (H), Wolves (A)
Derby: Bolton (H), Charlton (A), Bristol City (A), Sheff Wed (H), Brighton (A), Ipswich (H)
Cardiff:  Fulham (A), QPR (H), Brentford (A), Sheff Wed (A), Birmingham (H)
Ipswich: Brentford (H), Sheff Wed (A), Fulham (H), Middlesboro (A), MK Dons (H), Derby (A)

Bristol City: Sheff Wed (H), Brentford (A), Derby (H), Blackburn (A), Huddersfield (H), QPR (A)
Fulham: Cardiff (H), Brighton (A), Ipswich (A), Nottm Forest (H), Bolton (H)
MK Dons: Rotherham (H), Preston (A), Sheff Wed (A), Brentford (H), Ipswich (A), Nottm Forest (H)
Charlton: QPR (A), Derby (H), Bolton (A), Brighton (H), Leeds (A), Burnley (H)
Bolton: Derby (A), Middlesboro (H), Charlton (H), Cardiff (A), Hull (H), Fulham (A)

Hopefully this is readable and not double posted.

That time of the season again.  All mistakes are mine.

GP  PTS  GD

Burnley       40  77   30

Middlesbrough 39  76   29

Brighton      40  75   18

Hull          39  69   27

Sheff Wed     40  68   22

Derby         40  67   15

Cardiff       40  63    9

Ipswich       40  60    2

Birmingham    39  56    4

Preston       40  56    1

QPR           40  52    3

Wolves        40  52   -4

Reading       39  51    1

Brentford     39  49   -6

Leeds         39  48   -9

Blackburn     40  46   -1

Forest        40  46   -5

Huddersfield  40  45   -5

Fulham        40  44   -5

Bristol City  40  44  -22

Rotherham     40  43  -17

MK Dons       40  37  -21

Charlton      40  36  -34

Bolton        40  26  -35

I'll do this more in depth as teams drop out of the running for various things but:

97 points required for the championship.
92 points required for promotion
82 points required for a playoff position
56 points required for safety

Everyone from Preston up is safe from the drop.
Everyone from Preston down cannot be automatically promoted.
Everyone from Blackburn down cannot reach a playoff spot.

Selected remaining fixtures:

Burnley:   Leeds (H), Birmingham (A), Middlesboro (H), Preston (A), QPR (H), Charlton (A)
Middlesboro: Preston (H), Reading (H), Bolton (A), Burnley (A), Ipswich (H), Birmingham (A), Brighton (H)
Brighton: Nottm Forest (A), Fulham (H), QPR (H), Charlton (A), Derby (H), Middlesboro (A)
Hull: Huddersfield (A), Wolves (H), Reading (A), Leeds (H), Brentford (H), Bolton (A), Rotherham (H)
Sheff Wed: Bristol C (A), Ipswich (H), MK Dons (H), Derby (A), Cardiff (H), Wolves (A)
Derby: Bolton (H), Charlton (A), Bristol City (A), Sheff Wed (H), Brighton (A), Ipswich (H)
Cardiff:  Fulham (A), QPR (H), Brentford (A), Sheff Wed (A), Birmingham (H)
Ipswich: Brentford (H), Sheff Wed (A), Fulham (H), Middlesboro (A), MK Dons (H), Derby (A)

Bristol City: Sheff Wed (H), Brentford (A), Derby (H), Blackburn (A), Huddersfield (H), QPR (A)
Fulham: Cardiff (H), Brighton (A), Ipswich (A), Nottm Forest (H), Bolton (H)
MK Dons: Rotherham (H), Preston (A), Sheff Wed (A), Brentford (H), Ipswich (A), Nottm Forest (H)
Charlton: QPR (A), Derby (H), Bolton (A), Brighton (H), Leeds (A), Burnley (H)
Bolton: Derby (A), Middlesboro (H), Charlton (H), Cardiff (A), Hull (H), Fulham (A)

Boro have two home games then Bolton away, if we can pick up 9 points it takes pressure off the result from the Burnley fixture.

As was said on the radio last night, I'd like to see us get promoted ASAP and win the title on the final day home to Brighton. 

Crucial win last night against Preston. We're inching towards safety and a chance for Jokanovic to actually build a team and not have to start with 4 CBs and 4 CMs every game. Apparently last night was the first time Fulham have won a midweek away game in the league since Anfield in 2012. If we beat Cardiff on Saturday (admittedly a big ask...) we will have won 3 on the bounce for the first time since February 2012. 

Whatever happens, you can't deny it, 2012 was a big year for Fulham Football Club.